Sign in to follow this  
bdeweese

Pilot2atc TOD Error

I’m just jumping into IFR, and am trying to plan a very simple ILS approach (emulating a flight out of PE). My flight is KSNA to KSNA using Runway 20R via SIL, SNAKE and LEMON. I’m flying this in a ga (piper Cherokee), but at a low altitude (2000 climbing to 3000). Even with a modest gs (100 kts), climb rate of 700 fpm, and descent of 500 fpm, it seems I should be able to fly this. However, I can’t get past the “TOD CALCULATION ERROR” message. 

Is this just too basic/short (same origin and destination) of a flight to work with P2A or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

I was able to enter the plan in version 2506R6, AIRAC cycle 1812, without a problem using 3000 ft Cruise, 100 kts GS and 500 FPM descent rate.  I used the ILS to RW20R as the approach and TOD was placed just before SNAKE.

Check to be sure you have the latest version installed and try a faster descent rate and see what happens. 

Thanks Dave. That’s the version I have and those are the exact numbers I was “trying” to use. However, I never could get it to accept a 3000 ft cruise - would never give me lower than 4000. I did check the box telling it to ignore alt on heading. I’ll relaunch and try again. Perhaps checking that box requires a restart?

You need to uncheck the "Calculate Safe EnRoute Altitudes" box on the main config page to be able to set the suicide altitudes.  Or you can decrease your Minimum En-route AGL setting on the ATC Settings tab.

Dave

Still no joy. I have unchecked the safe altitude box and now have 3000 ft for my cruise. However, as soon as I try to validate I get the TOD error. One other difference I see from your setup is that I have Airac 1812 (Navigraph subscription). Should/could this be a problem? I reinstalled R6, just in case there was an issue there but no change. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I found a bug in the current version that does not allow the creation of a TOD when there is no descent.  In this case, the descend to altitude is 3000, which is also the cruise altitude, so no TOD can be calculated.

I just flew a test flight at 3000 with the upcoming version and it worked out fine.

For now, try choosing a higher altitude and it should work. 

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks Dave. I bumped descent rate up to 3000 but still get the TOD error. Any idea when R7 might be out? Thanks!