Sign in to follow this  
maxhades

DX10+Heavy Aircrafts

Hi Steve

Actually i fly DX10 only with small GA Aircrafts. When i would fly with PMDG(737, 747...) i have a performance loose. Thats because of the contrails. PMDG 747 with their own contrails and 737/777 with VFX Contrails. All of them are hitting the system hard under DX10. Is there any chance to fly those beasts in DX10 without that big lost in performance and visuality?  I have set to lights effect only. No heavy antialiasing settings(makes no different from 2x to 4x Grid) Whitout VC Shadow it is slight better but an overall lost in fps about -10fps.

For some reason i have no probs with Majestic Dash and VFX.

i7 2600k

Geforce 1050TI

THX

Max

Edited by maxhades

Why so sad?  You cannot see the contrail from the vc of the 747 so why not disable it which fixed honanhal’s issue with it. I imagine that someone could write a gauge to run it conditionally via the smoke subsystem in outside view.

Edited by SteveFx

So I have looked more at this.   I cannot find any significant DX9/DX10 performance differences in the VC with the default FSX contrails or those that come with the 737NGX. 

If I load the NGX tutorial  2 "Before Top of Descent" and let the aircraft stabilize  then with VC shadows off  I see

DX9                                      40-60fps

DX10 preview                      40-60fps

DX10 with Fixer                   40-60fps  

I don't have VFX or the PMDG 747 to test with.  

From what I can see the way that FSX works is that it has its own implementation of contrails  that is applied as follows

No contrail entry in fsx.cfg - use the fsx default contrail effects 

contrail= fx_dummy      or the name of an effect that doesn't exist    - disables default contrail system  (so no contrails are shown unless separately built into model)

contrail = effect   - runs that effect as the contrails

So a better option for the 747 might be to comment out the contrail= line as I think that will fall back to the default FSX contrails.

For the NGX I would suggest that you

1) test with VFX in default DX10 to see whether your issue relates to a fixer setting (although I cannot think of one that might have an impact)

2)  If it isn't the fixer then test the NGX without VFX  iand see whether you see the same performance issue or not.

If the problem relates to VFX  then  I would suggest asking on the Old Prop VFX support forums.   If they provided me with a  copy then I would have a look and see if I can see the same issue that you report but at the moment I cannot do anything.

Edited by SteveFx