Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Out of Date Nav Data?

I've just completed my first (tutorial) flight.  When setting up for a second I noticed the scratch pad area of the CDU was carrying a mssage NAV DATA OUT OF DATE (or similar).  This message wasn't there on the first flight.  How do I fix it, please.  Anyone?

The Nav Data that comes with the NGX is fixed in time as of the released of the aircraft.  You will need a subscription to a company like Navigraph to get monthly updates for all your FMS nav data consistent with the same AIRAC cycle out in the real world (currently 1812).

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

32 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

The Nav Data that comes with the NGX is fixed in time as of the released of the aircraft.  You will need a subscription to a company like Navigraph to get monthly updates for all your FMS nav data consistent with the same AIRAC cycle out in the real world (currently 1812).

Spot-on response, Doug,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, threebears said:

I've just completed my first (tutorial) flight.  When setting up for a second I noticed the scratch pad area of the CDU was carrying a mssage NAV DATA OUT OF DATE (or similar).  This message wasn't there on the first flight.  How do I fix it, please.  Anyone?

While Doug is correct, you may want to just cancel the advisory message and learn to fly the Tutorials with the navdata that ships with the product because it uses that data.  Newer data will have changes that you will see in the tutorial and might confuse you at first.  After you've done both tutorials a couple of time, most of us need more than one session each, then you can subscribe to Navigraph or Aerosoft to keep the navdata up to date.

Be sure to read the Introduction!

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

You also might want to look at this site: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html  and update your magdec.bgl file. Here is the info from the site:

These updates are for FSX and P3D only (all versions including now P3Dv4) and include aeronautical data that are referenced by the latest aeronautical information (AIPs).

The FSX/P3D World Navaids package will update navigational aids (VORs, NDBs) in selectable world areas (worldwide coverage). A multi-platform installer is provided and all original files are saved and can be restored. A PDF documentation is included. Be aware of some limitations/problems that may occur for those still using FS integrated flight planning (obsolete) or map view. See chapter 5 of documentation for details.
In Europe region, all data (VORs, NDBs, ILSs, runway identifiers, approach lighting systems, PAPIs, en route intersections and airways) are corrected.
In other regions, only VORs and NDBs are updated; consequently, in those regions, a few NDBs (those that are embedded in airport BGL files) will remain untouched resulting in a very few discrepancies. ILS/Rwy regional updates will be needed to correct other data (ILSs, rwy identifiers, embedded NDBs). See below.

ILS/Rwy regional updates will correct ILSs, runway identifiers, markers and all embedded NDBs in other regions than Europe. In the US, lightings, PAPIs and COM frequencies are also corrected. An automatic installer is provided. Note that each region can be installed separately; a worldwide update is also available (except for Europe that is already covered by the World Navaids package). See the included readme.txt files for more details and the coverage map. Note that installer will backup original files that can be restored at any time.

It's free to use (but you might consider a small donation, Herv's work is indispensable for our hobby as far as I'm concerned)

Edited by SierraHotel

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

2 hours ago, downscc said:

While Doug is correct, you may want to just cancel the advisory message and learn to fly the Tutorials with the navdata that ships with the product because it uses that data.  Newer data will have changes that you will see in the tutorial and might confuse you at first.  After you've done both tutorials a couple of time, most of us need more than one session each, then you can subscribe to Navigraph or Aerosoft to keep the navdata up to date.

Be sure to read the Introduction!

Appreciate the clarification, Dan.  Excellent advice.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thank you everyone.   think the advice to stay with the 'shipped' data, until I've done the tutorials a few times, is very sensible.  I'll look at the aero.sors site later (thanks SierraHotel) and think about Airac.  I currently have cycle 1802 on my vroute.info but that is external to the aircraft model, isn't it?

21 minutes ago, threebears said:

Thank you everyone.   think the advice to stay with the 'shipped' data, until I've done the tutorials a few times, is very sensible.  I'll look at the aero.sors site later (thanks SierraHotel) and think about Airac.  I currently have cycle 1802 on my vroute.info but that is external to the aircraft model, isn't it?

Yes as that data is specific formatted for vroute. Pmdg uses a different format. Aero.sors isn’t navdata but replaces vordme stations, ils frequencies and magnetic variation. 

For updated nav data I would recommend Navigraph. A full subscription there also gives you access to all the possible charts you will ever need.

Hi all.  Well, I've subscribed to Navigraph, and downloaded the application, but the CDU is still saying Nav Data is out of date.  I installed it to the PMDG folder in FSX, but perhaps it should go elsewhere.  I'd appreciate any advice.

Andrew

If you have the application go into the settings and check if theoath to you fsx folder is set correct. Then run the automatic addon finder which looks at all your installed aircraft plus tools. This should point directly to the correct folder. Which is called pmdg/navdata/ there should be a cycle info text.

Hi Andrew,

Be sure to start the sim in the right date range (current date and time for example). If you start the sim outside the current validity period of the AIRAC cycle then the out of date message will still appear, even if you are current.

2 minutes ago, harvester21 said:

Hi Andrew,

Be sure to start the sim in the right date range (current date and time for example). If you start the sim outside the current validity period of the AIRAC cycle then the out of date message will still appear, even if you are current.

Good to know, but it's not that.  I am fully up to date with AIRAC and always adjust date and time to the current date and time.  I have lots of suggestions to follow now, and will work through them all.  As a matter of interest, I've found that some YouTube videos (on the PMDG 737NGX) advise selecting various controls in a different order / time than the manual.  I'll get there!

Andrew

51 minutes ago, threebears said:

Good to know, but it's not that.  I am fully up to date with AIRAC and always adjust date and time to the current date and time.  I have lots of suggestions to follow now, and will work through them all.  As a matter of interest, I've found that some YouTube videos (on the PMDG 737NGX) advise selecting various controls in a different order / time than the manual.  I'll get there!

Andrew

I had the same issue. Check the Navigraph forums. They have changed their installation path to PMDG products. Delete all your PMDG paths in your Navigraph Data Manager and then go to the menu to scan the addon mappings again. You will be sorted.

• Like 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X