w6kd

P3Dv4.4--all default Beechcraft removed

For those about to upgrade to P3Dv4.4, if you use any of the default Beech acft (the Baron, King Air, or Carenado A36 Bonanza) or the gauge files from any of them (the G1000 is commonly used in third-party freeware acft, for example)--all of these acft have been intentionally removed from P3Dv4.4.

If you want to keep any of them moving forward, you'll want to keep a copy of the relevant aircraft directory from your v4.3 P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes, and you'll need to also seek out and save any gauge, effects, or sound files referenced in the aircraft.cfg, or panel.cfg.

No idea what's behind this, other than a LM staffer acknowledging that the removal of all the Beeches from v4.4 was intentional.

Regards

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I doubt that it's anything sinister. Some FSX era Cessna models were also previously removed. It's just LM being careful from a legal standpoint. The attorneys for aerospace companies have periodically hunted down flight sim developers for trademark infringement. There's probably not a. widespread active effort on the part of Textron, but if your pockets are deep like LM's are, you want to be extra careful. My cousin is a trademark and patent attorney and at one point in time his firm had both Disney and BMW as clients. You'd be surprised the petty stuff that his firm got involved with.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You'd be surprised the petty stuff that his firm got involved with.

lol....oh, no we wouldn't, their lawyers after all.

• Like 2

Most of his stories were funny. The legal theory was that you have to catch all the small fry, else you set a standard for bigger trademark thieves. The most interesting recent story was that BMW sent a cease and desist letter to a private individual who was using a 3D printer to manufacture a  $10 plastic part from a classic BMW that was no longer available from the manufacturer. The poor guy didn't have the money to fight with BMW so he gave up. That story is public knowledge so no confidentially broken.

• Like 1

Anyone found a list of which specific instrument files need to be backed up to move over?

I'm guessing this was just LM not wanting to continue to pay a licensing fee to Beech for aircraft that weren't heavily used.

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

For those about to upgrade to P3Dv4.4, if you use any of the default Beech acft (the Baron, King Air, or Carenado A36 Bonanza) or the gauge files from any of them (the G1000 is commonly used in third-party freeware acft, for example)--all of these acft have been intentionally removed from P3Dv4.4.

If you want to keep any of them moving forward, you'll want to keep a copy of the relevant aircraft directory from your v4.3 P3D\SimObjects\Airplanes, and you'll need to also seek out and save any gauge, effects, or sound files referenced in the aircraft.cfg, or panel.cfg.

No idea what's behind this, other than a LM staffer acknowledging that the removal of all the Beeches from v4.4 was intentional.

Regards

Hey Bob!

I don't fly GA in the Sim, so not a big deal for me, however I can easily see this mattering to many others.

Thanks for the heads up!

For clarification, I updated the Client component only and still have all the aforementioned aircraft. I believe if you update the Content component you will lose those aircraft.

Starting with Prepar3D v4.4, Lockheed Martin was requested by Textron Aviation to remove all of their intellectual property likenesses. Previously, Lockheed Martin had an agreement with Beech Aircraft Corporation (Beechcraft) for inclusion of their aircraft likenesses.

In 2014, Textron Aviation purchased all Beechcraft intellectual property and they recently asked us to remove their likenesses from our public Prepar3D builds. We continue to work with Textron Aviation to reintroduce their branded aircrafts so our users can have even more great examples of training and simulation in Prepar3D.

Post by Rob McCarthy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1

Oops, TuFun beat me to it!

The removal of the Baron should not affect the G1000 gauge files I would think, since I believe the G1000 Mooney is still included as a default aircraft.

A lawyer once told me this joke:  How many lawyer jokes are there?  The answer:  Three, all the rest are true stories !

Jim Elder

• Like 1

Can not recall that there was any mention of this in the release notes....

It was mentioned in the release notes I read on FS Elite. And it was fairly obvious this was going to be because of some legal wrangling.

How long, I wonder, before some overactive aerospace company legal dept tries to tell photographers they can't put pictures of their aircraft on airliners.net...

Regards

I really don't find it to be an issue. They were kinda junky and antiquated anyway. The hobby has really moved to payware addons also, IMO. Also may have to do with being a competitor in the Aerospace market. Textron doesn't seem to have an issue with Xplane's Beeches.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TuFun said:

In 2014, Textron Aviation purchased all Beechcraft intellectual property and they recently asked us to remove their likenesses from our public Prepar3D builds.

The same thing happened when Textron took controlling interest in Cessna. Suddenly developers began getting C&D letters from Textron's attorneys essentially forcing them to stop production or pay a rather expensive percentage of sales as licensing fees, and to add insult to injury required a $1mil liability policy...

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see  how this affects A2A and Carenado.:unsure:

Grace and Peace,

6 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Grace and Peace,

I'd be surprised if they didn't already have their own arrangements.

6 hours ago, Bluestar said:

It doesn't affect them and they don't have any arrangements because they don't sell any of their planes as 'Cessna' or 'Beechcraft'.

Carenado doesn’t specify the manufacturer of any of their aircraft - just the model number.

A2A does specify trademarked brand names like “Beechcraft”and “Cessna” I strongly suspect A2A might have a licensing arrangement with Textron for both their Beech and Cessna product lines. The only A2A product I own is the Bonanza, and their manual for that product includes numerous performance graphs and tables directly from the Beechcraft V35 POH. I don’t think they would include that without the active cooperation and permission of the manufacturer. 

In the case of LM, there is probably a certain inter-company rivalry at play in Textron’s request to remove the Beechcraft models - LM and Textron are both real-world aircraft manufacturers and competitors.

It’s no big deal in any case. There are plenty of freeware and payware options to replace the aircraft that were removed, and individuals can always back up the aircraft folders and gauges from P3D 4.3 for the Beech models, and restore them into 4.4

On 11/29/2018 at 10:24 PM, flhx_ridr said:

For clarification, I updated the Client component only and still have all the aforementioned aircraft. I believe if you update the Content component you will lose those aircraft.

That's certainly the case for me, I did the client only update and all of the AC mentioned are still present and fully functional.

I did the same only client so I still have my aircraft, and could't a person just install the older 4.3 content to get their aircraft back again?

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

I did the same only client so I still have my aircraft, and could't a person just install the older 4.3 content to get their aircraft back again?

Of course. That's been mentioned more than once in various forums. Just make backup copies outside of P3Dv4.3 and then copy/paste them back into v4.4... :gaul:

Be sure to back up any gauges those aircraft use as well, just in case v.4.4 Content removes them.

5 minutes ago, larwan said:

How would you restore it if you have already upgraded to v4.4?

I don’t think you can. The 4.4 content installer deletes the Beech models and gauges, so if you did not back them up first, they are probably gone.