Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Am I the only one?

I am always amazed by the folks who seem to have every add on known to man loaded on a Ka-zillion GB drive. I see comments about it taking weeks to re-load all this stuff after every new release. On top of scenery then there are the guys that have shader programs that manage the shader programs that make all the scenery file look different LOL. I am just a GA user and I get why you tubeliner guys want a lot of the airports and GSX and others similar software. I swear I don't know how you can keep up with it all and still have time in the day to fly.

Am I the only guy in the world who is pretty happy using basic stuff like ORBX basic products for trees, land class, free airports. I do have an upgrade for KPNS which is where I live and I like it to look close to what I see when I go out there. Any others out there who enjoy keeping it simple and clean?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I would have to say you are most probably not alone.

This "hobby" can be quite addicting, I think it gets down to how addicted one is, AND how much luxury money one has that one doesn't mind spending on addons.

I think I fall in between the two, I have tons of addons though. Scenery and planes mostly and lots of freeware as well.

Worse yet, I started int XP11 so now to get the best of both worlds I "feed" both machines.

Its only money and you only live once.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

2 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Its only money and you only live once.

Ya I hear you. I can always find a couple of $'s laying around. It is the sanity thing that holds me back. LOL 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Nope!  I also use pretty much the basic stuff and rely on ORBX freeware sceneries for the places I like to fly - only GA for me.  I do have a bunch of payware scneries about the Caribbean tho and ORBX PNW

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

I think there are phases.

When you first start, are all excited and you buy everything in sight.

Then you are burned a few times, programs clash, and your first few reinstalls happen.

Then you return, more cautiously, installing only certain software, and probably buying a lot less.

Then you settle into your middle period. Just enough software and things seem to be running fine.....

Then you update against your better judgement to the latest version of something, or buy the latest "great thing" and fight with unsatisfactory performance and strange glitches. This is the "forum-hopping" era.

Eventually you realize that all the "EUREKA" posts are mostly nonsense, and you've simply overloaded the sim.

Welcome to the "mature era", as you fall back to mostly default, with a few trusty standbys, like Orbx, and hardly purchase anything anymore.....

Thus you approach and eventually sail calmly into the era of timelike infinity............

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It's a passion! An addiction for some. I'm probably not completely addicted, but 99.9% there.😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 minutes ago, DJJose said:

It's a passion! An addiction for some. I'm probably not completely addicted, but 99.9% there.😀

Yep...I have been there before. LOL I used to do a lot of bass fishing and ended up with a Ranger Bass boat that would do 68 MPH on the water. I also owned every lure known to man. I quickly realized that I was not catching fish anymore because Bass can't swim near 68 mph and so they could not catch up to bite all the lures. There is a life lesson in there somewhere I am sure. :rolleyes:

Sam

I do hear ya! Though I definitely fall into the category of those that have tons of addons... And you are quite right, it's devoid of sanity. I can't ever fly all these planes to all the airports I have, I just don't have the time. Let alone the time I spend just fiddling with AI aircraft.

But, the fact is I like variation, and I rarely fly the same plane twice in a row. Thus I have a system, where the PMDG 737NGX is the backbone of my fleet. I know how to operate it fairly well, and it's an easy, forgiving plane to fly, very versatile, used essentially all over the world. The Aerosoft Airbusses are next in line, and then follow a hoard of more esotheric aircraft that I fly once in a while, when I feel like. I especially need to spend more time on the TFDi 717... I've flown it exactly once so far. It was a lovely flight, but it's limited use in the real world makes it hard for me to fly it in the sim. because even if I want to fly the plane, I might not want to fly in the areas where the plane is operated!

I will say I have some 'hard stops' on what I purchase. For example, I will not buy addons for aircraft that in the real world don't fly short distances as regularly schedules routes. As such, I bought the PMDG 747 only very recently, when it turned out that the 747F does plenty of 1-2 hour hops in Western Europe and Asia. But, the fact that I bought this plane makes it very unlikely that I'll get the 777, because it would have fairly similar role to the 747 in my simming environment. As such, I'll also not randomly buy an airport scenery - I need it to be close to another addon that I like. For example, FlyTampa updated Kai Tak, and my love for this airport spurred my purchase of PacSim's Taiwan, which is a very comfortable distance away and will allow operations of the 747F in China Airlines Cargo livery (Of course at Black Friday this then lead to the purchase of several more airports in that area... but you get the point)

I do see some people getting the latest and greatest, which I can't afford... though I sometimes wish I could!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case