Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

V4.4 fresh install or Client-Content only?

I decide for myself after reviewing the revisions list by LM on their web site.  On some occasions I'm interested in something that either content or scenery brings forth; otherwise, I go client only.  It's up to you.  This time I chose client only.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I just did Client+Content as I don't fly in anything other than Orbx and a few well chosen other bits and bobs. I didn't see anything that purported to scenery so I let sleeping dogs lie. Fresh install? Why put yourself through that mill?

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Client only for me. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Client, one more time. The good PBR addons will come in the future..., let's wait for them.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I found this helpful post in another thread:

On 10/13/2017 at 8:36 AM, Poppet said:

Below is the list of the folders that are removed and updated during each of the component Installers 

Install_ Client.msi  -  Licences, propdefs, Scaleform, ShadersHLSL, trinton

Install_ Content.msi  -  Scripts, redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture

Install_ Scenery.msi  -  Scenery

A Content Update will not touch any of your .cfg files.  Your Autogen files will in be overwriting during the Content update but in the case of FTX Orbx these Autogen files will be reconfigured back to Orbx use again by simply Launching the FTX Control Panel and waiting 10 \ 15 seconds 

Also by launching the FTX control panel this will also check and verify your terrain.cfg and your scenery.cfg,  even if you delete these files it will Insert the Orbx entries back in again when the Control panel is launched.  Note: If you delete these 2 files You need to Launch Prepar3D first and shut it down before you launch the FTX control Panel.  

The Content update will only remove default Prepar3D files and default Prepar3D files that have been modified by your Add On's,  A lot of Add On's Install extra files and these wont be touched.

So i guess if you have custom Aircraft files that you know have modified default files you may have to run the aircraft Installer again 

I'm not sure its a great Idea to copy and paste your old Content files \ folders  back into the new Content updated files \ folders,  Maybe it will be ok I don't know though,  Its not something i would do

I like a clean slate,  Update and if in doubt run the Aircraft Installer again    

With that in mind, I'll probably do Client and Content, but leave the Scenery alone as it doesn't seem that there have been any changes in there that are of particular interest to me. And anyway, with OrbX Global, Vector etc the default terrain has had a thorough upgrade anyway. From what I understand the autogen and some aircraft models received some PBR textures that may be nice to have, hence my interest in it.

Not updating the Scenery component will also save me from worrying about airport scenery installers that may have overwritten stock scenery files, in order to deal with elevation problems and the like. However, because the Texture folder is part of the Content installation, this will mean having to reinstall OrbX Global, as well as EnvTex and ASCA textures.

Like to that thread: 

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

This has been asked and answered so many times.... please do not ask again.

it's YOUR decision period.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors