Sign in to follow this  
cgsmithmo

To the painters...

I have taken the plunge and got a single-app subscription for Photoshop. Any advice? I have been using Photoshop Elements for a few years now, but I never imagined how un-powerful it was. Now, to update my fleet...

28 minutes ago, cgsmithmo said:

I have taken the plunge and got a single-app subscription for Photoshop. Any advice? I have been using Photoshop Elements for a few years now, but I never imagined how un-powerful it was. Now, to update my fleet...

Visit the AVSIM Painters forum... you should receive lots of support there.

Dan Downs KCRP

MOD NOTE: Moved to Paint Shop - more appropriate to the question / better audience for it.

Kyle Rodgers

I wrote a tutorial a while ago, explaining some of the basics, you might want to start there.

• Like 1

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

I have seen many paints made with the help of painting programs like Gimp , PaintshopPro and Paintnet.
Photoshop is no doubt probably the most sophisticated program on the curent market.
BUT keep in mind there is no need for such a program for most skilled painters.

Making a good painting does not start with buying expensive brushes.
Buying a Steinway does not help me , I cannot play the piano.

If a was an excellent piano-player , playing a Steinway would make it only a fraction better than playing a cheaper japanese grand-piano.

Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi Folks,

I’ve used GImp, Paint Shop Pro, and Photoshop over many years - if you get tired of paying Photoshop “rental (extortion) fees” - take a look at Paint Shop Pro - does everything Photoshop does - for a one time purchase fee and you can even find it for a very reasonable price on sale... I’ve always preferred it to Photoshop...

The one major thing the payware alternatives have over GImp - is they support “vector graphics” - this is a pretty useful feature with aircraft because it gives you smooth “beizer” curves without having to paint them pixel by pixel... GImp doesn’t have this...

Enjoy.,, 

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On 12/5/2018 at 3:19 AM, scottb613 said:

for a one time purchase fee and you can even find it for a very reasonable price on sale... I’ve always preferred it to Photoshop

What he said.

(I've been using PaintShop Pro for over 15 years, even painted a few planes with it) 😉

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

What he said.

(I've been using PaintShop Pro for over 15 years, even painted a few planes with it) 😉

But Paintshop is sooooo slow!!!!!! I do however like some of the tools it has.   And it's much cheaper. 🙂

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Anyone using Krita? I haven't tried it but it looks like another good free alternative to Photoshop. I've been using Photoshop for years but thinking about dumping my CC subscription and just using Krita and Inkscape.

Barry Friedman

Dad stayed with CS6 because there's nothing in CC that's better and it just costs way more for nothing.  I'm sure the jerks will break it with one of the Win10 updates though.  >:(

Then I'll have to have a Win7 PC not on the Internet just for graphics work I guess.

Currently using Photoshop 6 and used Paint.NET when I first started.  Few people I know use Substance Painter I guess for PBR effects in P3Dv4.

Another one that looks promising is Affinity Photo for $50 if you don't like subscription-based CC. 

Its possible to make top-quality paint/re-paints with the use of free avaiable software only.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

That's true if you want to go that route like Materialize image tool that does PBR materials.  PBR is the future and it's an excellent freeware program.  Works very well I might add. Hopefully, RTX will implement future LM releases. 

Manfred's C-47

33361194598_cc8e98abc1_o.jpg

Edited by TuFun