Sign in to follow this  
olderndirt

Scenery.ini again.

With the advent of the Orbx GB scenery, a couple of items in 'scenery.ini' must be positioned correctly for the scenery to work.  Thought I had this one settled but it's back to the drawing board time.  Using the various scenery levels recommendations, I've carefully adjusted my scenery.ini to comply and 'saved'.  It seems after the sim has been loaded a few times the scenery.ini gets rearranged to alphabetical order - similar to Custom Scenery.  I've tried 'xorganizer' and no joy with that so since it's obvious I'm doing something bad - need guidance.  

Edited by olderndirt

Without going through the rules of scenery_packs.ini organization again - I think you have understood the basics of those - I can say that the only time the scenery_packs.ini is changed by X-Plane is if a new package is placed into the Custom Scenery folder (in that case that new package will simply go to the top of your .ini) OR if the simulator is started without a scenery_packs.ini file being present (because it was moved, deleted, or renamed wrong). In that case you will see a simple alphabetical rearrangement.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

It is as you describe - new scenery to the top but I must be doing something wrong (don't recall moving, deleting or renaming incorrectly) but will keep a close watch on what I do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

It is as you describe - new scenery to the top but I must be doing something wrong (don't recall moving, deleting or renaming incorrectly) but will keep a close watch on what I do. 

Could be it got renamed by mistake, in windows if you use notepad, it could change the extension to txt. I always recommend to make the file extensions visible.

6 hours ago, soaring_penguin said:

Could be it got renamed by mistake, in windows if you use notepad, it could change the extension to txt. I always recommend to make the file extensions visible.

Every time I've looked it's been 'scenery_packs.ini'.

6 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Every time I've looked it's been 'scenery_packs.ini'.

Windows can be sneaky like that. Your file could really be "Scenery_packs.ini.txt" And if you have the option (like its default) on to "hide known file extensions" you will only see "Scenery_Packs.ini" - because Windows is hiding the .txt

Cheers, Jan

On 11/29/2018 at 11:43 PM, olderndirt said:

I've tried 'xorganizer' and no joy with that so since it's obvious I'm doing something bad - need guidance.  

And when you tried xOrganizer did you ensure that "Auto save" in the top left corner was set to on? If you didn't then any changes you made were automatically undone when you closed the program.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

8 hours ago, Janov said:

Windows can be sneaky like that. Your file could really be "Scenery_packs.ini.txt" And if you have the option (like its default) on to "hide known file extensions" you will only see "Scenery_Packs.ini" - because Windows is hiding the .txt

Cheers, Jan

"Hide known file extensions" is unchecked - just stacked it again in the correct layers and 'saved'.  Will see how it goes.

• Like 1