Sign in to follow this  
Thunderstreak

Undocking AFE window causes FPS drop.

New problem (I think).

When I undock the AFE window I suffer a major FPS drop. If I close it frames pop right back up.

I’ve never noticed this before, therefore I think this is a new problem, only change since the last flight is a video card upgrade.

P3dv4.3 Win7Ult I7-6700K RTX2070 16GB Ram.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers, Bernard Nieberg

Bernard Nieberg CPP6 Ontario, Canada

cubsig.jpg 

This looks like an adventurous computer setup, honestly... a bit like the steps of the Waltons in Lucky Luke...

win7, a 6th gen CPU, sufficient amount of RAM (speed?) on a likely not so new motherboard and a new Graphic card monster. 

Hardware needs to fit together, there is little point in having single devices upgraded but forgetting about the rest.. I suppose that your issue comes from the graca together with the „old“ surroundings. 

Have you checked that your power supply has sufficient resources to supply that graphic card? Is the RTX properly cooled in your tower or does it get hot in there? 

Of course it can be software depending too (drivers for example) but as you changed the card that‘s my first guess.

CPU, Mobo, Ram all purchased within the last year or so. Previous video card was the odd/old part. 4+ year old GTX960. The only reason I ended up with an RTX2070 is I could buy it cheaper than a GTX1070/1080. Cooling is not an issue, very large CoolerMaster case with an abundance of fans and space. Power supply is good too. Freshly dusted as well 😜

P3dv4 is running well with good FPS in all scenarios tested so far. 

Just this odd FPS loss when I undock the AFE window. If I don’t undock it I can fly out of a high detail airport without any issue.

cubsig.jpg 

6 hours ago, Thunderstreak said:

New problem (I think).

When I undock the AFE window I suffer a major FPS drop. If I close it frames pop right back up.

I’ve never noticed this before, therefore I think this is a new problem, only change since the last flight is a video card upgrade.

P3dv4.3 Win7Ult I7-6700K RTX2070 16GB Ram.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers, Bernard Nieberg

Have a look there... Maybe it helps.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Problem solved. DrumsArt’s suggested post lead me to realize that the problem occurred with any undocked window in any aircraft, not specific to the DC-6. The problem was new, started after the video card upgrade.

A broader search pointed me in the right direction.

The program EVGA Precision X was the culprit. Something that came with my old GTX960 that I rarely used anyway. Uninstalling it as suggested fixed my issue.

As for bashing my system setup Ephedrin, probably unnecessary. Though by no means perfect, it works well for me. It has been assembled with much reasearch and financial constraints in mind. Not my first rodeo, I’ve been doing this for a long time.

Thanks and cheers,

Bernard.

Edited by Thunderstreak

cubsig.jpg 

18 hours ago, Thunderstreak said:

Problem solved. DrumsArt’s suggested post lead me to realize that the problem occurred with any undocked window in any aircraft, not specific to the DC-6. The problem was new, started after the video card upgrade.

A broader search pointed me in the right direction.

The program EVGA Precision X was the culprit. Something that came with my old GTX960 that I rarely used anyway. Uninstalling it as suggested fixed my issue.

As for bashing my system setup Ephedrin, probably unnecessary. Though by no means perfect, it works well for me. It has been assembled with much reasearch and financial constraints in mind. Not my first rodeo, I’ve been doing this for a long time.

Thanks and cheers,

Bernard.

I didn't mean to bash it, Bernard. But I have seen several issues in my 15 years of flight sim that were hardware related. Most of them during the last 3 or 4 years. People often get new CPUs or video cards that are so good that the older (outdated might be the better word) mainboard almost can't handle the new powerful features. A 6th gen CPU is several years old now, many people have installed it on mainboards that featured this socket as a new technology. For example there is no point in using an 8th gen CPU but having DDR3 Ram at 1333MHz. The computer will always suffer from the "weakest" hardware inside. 

Also I obviously don't know how much you know about computers, about tweaking P3D/NVIDIA and so on.. So my answer was a possibility that I took as a probable issue. That doesn't mean that it must be it. All I knew was a bit of your hardware and that you suffered a loss of performance when demanding the hardware, and that's what you actually do when you undock a window. 

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about your solution, that's something we can work with in the future if people have similar issues. 

Cheers to you.

Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and help out. Perhaps I over reacted to your post, sorry. I was a bit frustrated at that point! It never fails when dealing with FSX in all it’s forms and now P3d, whenever you make a change, hardware or software, something inevitably gets screwed up. Happy to have it solved. Enjoyed a challenging IFR flight in the Cloudmaster after the fix. PAFA to PANC in real world weather. The new video card sure handles the detailed Active Sky clouds nicely, allowing much higher settings than the previous card. Frame rates are great and we are stutter free. I’ve never had it so good.

Cheers, Bernard

• Like 1

cubsig.jpg 

Oh don't worry, I know that feeling very well. I also have an i7 6700k and a 1080Ti, but in opposite from you I had to fiddle around with the NVIDIA settings to get rid of the stutters, I came from a very fluent setup with a GTX970. But due to the requirements of the Oculus Rift I got the new video card. Then, after I was back to a fluent sim I got a windows update and everything went to hell. NTDLL.dll crashes, I frequently lost my rudder pedals just after touchdown drifting off the runway and so on.  It eventually ended up with a frustrated complete nuking of my P3D SSD and a reinstallation of P3Dv4.4 now, together with all the addons that need to be installed into the main folder. Quite a bit of work yesterday as I forgot to backup my PMDG options.ini files but now my PMDGs run better than ever. 

Happy landings!

Edited by Ephedrin