Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

Orbx causing long pauses in v4.4

56 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

Rule #1 Dont run ORBX Vector or Landclass when in regions.

I wonder if that's the key.  I don't use Vector, Global or Landclass.  If there isn't a full-fat region in the area, I prefer to use photo (a mix of MSE and Blue Sky).  And I don't have the problem others seem to have in Orbx SoCal.  Sure, I have the occasional pause in the middle of the LA Basin, but never for more than a second and only very occasionally.  Correlation or causation?  Dunno.

The other piece that may help is that while I have all of the other SoCal features enabled, I do disable Orbx AI (Labeled General Aviation AI but this does not disable P3D GA, only the Orbx GA AI package).

Scott

1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

Howard, did you inform ORBX in their forum about your issues. I would be interestred to know, how they reacted to it 

Bernd

Hi Bernd, yes I did, along with quite a few others too. It has been some time now since it's release so I can't remember exactly if there was a cure. From what I remember, the response was that due to the high number of airports in close proximity to each other combined with dense autogen, this was causing the issue. I think it was suggested to disable all the GA airports, although I'm unsure how this was done. Whatever the suggested process, it didn't work, hence why I no longer fly there. Sad, but I just fly in NOCAL as an option and have no issues there. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

For what it is worth, I can recreate a pause situation, by loading the aircraft at 16R at Van Nuys airport and taking off.  I have Orbx NA LC and SoCal installed.

And no, disabling NA LC does not solve the problem.

A few seconds into the roll, the sim pauses for a second or so, and then continues on.

I have trapped this, using Procmon, and can see that P3D is running through all my installed Orbx scenery, not just SCA, but PNW, CRM, addon libraries, and off to Europe and Australia..

Heaven only knows what is causing this, but it sure looks to me that P3D and Orbx get something mixed up..

This is more than loading buildings in Los Angeles, although that also happens..

I cannot imagine either LM or Orbx being interested in trying to troubleshoot this.. they have other priorities..

But if you can test this scenario at Van Nuys and see if this is a universal occurrence, we might have a bit more to go on  :cool:

BTW, if I taxi down the runway, turn around and taxi back.. I can then take off without a pause.. go figure..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

PS we have the same last name Kemp

Maybe you're related? :unsure:

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ive been having Long Pauses too for a long time.  Definitely in v4.3.  Unsure if they were also in 4.2.  Rob Ainscough discussed this occuring for him at Milford Sound in New Zealand using Orbx scenery a couple of years ago.  It was determined its possibly not caused by Orbx scenery per se but by Prepar3D as it reads the scenery index.  The more sceneries you have enabled the worse the issue.  It drove me mad trying to work out which scenery was causing it.  I got it on exactly the same spot in Pacific North West.  I set up a flight in the south of England, I have all Orbx Regions and Global LC and Textures etc.  I could get a very long pause consistently so saved a flight for my tests.  With just the FTX Regions enabled a 5-8 second pause occured.  Even occured when I set every single setting to their minimum, lowest texture resolution, lowest filtering, mesh, autogen, complexity, water, shadows...all sliders to the left.  The sim still paused in exactly the same spot.  I noticed as I started switching sceneries off that the pause changed to a single brief stutter in the same spot.  No individual regions or scenery was triggering it with the tests it was just the quantity of active entries in the scenery library.  The only way around it was to use a Scenery Configurator and set up groups dependant on areas Im flying.

I even wiped my system and installed Windows 7 wondering if it was a W10 issue but it still happened in it at the same locations/  In fact on the south of England at the point the pause occured I could slew back and forward and it would reoccur, I could slew back a little then slew many miles to the left and it would still happen like there was some sort of line I was crossing that triggered P3D to read the library.  Gary from UKscenery2000 also posted about it and from memory Orbx weren't too interested in resolving it.

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

23 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Ive been having Long Pauses too for a long time.  Definitely in v4.3.  Unsure if they were also in 4.2.  Rob Ainscough discussed this occuring for him at Milford Sound in New Zealand using Orbx scenery a couple of years ago.  It was determined its possibly not caused by Orbx scenery per se but by Prepar3D as it reads the scenery index.  The more sceneries you have enabled the worse the issue.  It drove me mad trying to work out which scenery was causing it.  I got it on exactly the same spot in Pacific North West.  I set up a flight in the south of England, I have all Orbx Regions and Global LC and Textures etc.  I could get a very long pause consistently so saved a flight for my tests.  With just the FTX Regions enabled a 5-8 second pause occured.  Even occured when I set every single setting to their minimum, lowest texture resolution, lowest filtering, mesh, autogen, complexity, water, shadows...all sliders to the left.  The sim still paused in exactly the same spot.  I noticed as I started switching sceneries off that the pause changed to a single brief stutter in the same spot.  No individual regions or scenery was triggering it with the tests it was just the quantity of active entries in the scenery library.  The only way around it was to use a Scenery Configurator and set up groups dependant on areas Im flying.

I even wiped my system and installed Windows 7 wondering if it was a W10 issue but it still happened in it at the same locations/  In fact on the south of England at the point the pause occured I could slew back and forward and it would reoccur, I could slew back a little then slew many miles to the left and it would still happen like there was some sort of line I was crossing that triggered P3D to read the library.  Gary from UKscenery2000 also posted about it and from memory Orbx weren't too interested in resolving it.

Chris

Those are my findings also. Even in vanilla p3d at all those same locations you will get a bip if you look for it. I believe this is where P3D reads the indexes and gets what it needs. so it seems the smaller the load(indexes) the faster the read. I still get pauses here and there but nothing like I use to and not those index read pauses that everyone hates.  This is why I swear by using a Scenery Configurator.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

For what it is worth, I can recreate a pause situation, by loading the aircraft at 16R at Van Nuys airport and taking off.  I have Orbx NA LC and SoCal installed.

And no, disabling NA LC does not solve the problem.

A few seconds into the roll, the sim pauses for a second or so, and then continues on.

I have trapped this, using Procmon, and can see that P3D is running through all my installed Orbx scenery, not just SCA, but PNW, CRM, addon libraries, and off to Europe and Australia..

Heaven only knows what is causing this, but it sure looks to me that P3D and Orbx get something mixed up..

This is more than loading buildings in Los Angeles, although that also happens..

I cannot imagine either LM or Orbx being interested in trying to troubleshoot this.. they have other priorities..

But if you can test this scenario at Van Nuys and see if this is a universal occurrence, we might have a bit more to go on  :cool:

BTW, if I taxi down the runway, turn around and taxi back.. I can then take off without a pause.. go figure..

Bert I enabled all my sceneries, set up the default F22 aircraft at runway 16R and took off towards LA.  Just as I was coming over the hills towards Santa Monica the sim froze for a good 8 seconds.  Its no wonder I dont fly in this area despite owning NCA and SCA as the performance is grim even when I reduce the settings only getting 20 fps which is stuttery.  I then retested after putting ALL settings on minimum..reset flight to start of runway and started roll.  Barely 1/4 the way down the runway...1 second pause..not a stutter but a pause.  Coming over the hills again 1 second long pause. then over Santa Monica a very long pause...with all settings to the left so barely any load on my system.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

7 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Barely 1/4 the way down the runway...1 second pause..not a stutter but a pause. 

Chris

That is exactly what I am seeing..

Bert

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is exactly what I am seeing..

I have made a further test but disabling all my Australia and Europe scenery leaving only default and north america regions and airports - same problem with pauses on minimum settings

2nd test with everything off except default and NCA and SCA enabled - shorter pauses though the one over Santa Monica was about 3 seconds

3rd test - everything enabled but SCA and NCA disabled - no pause until Santa Monica then slight 0.5 - 1 second pause

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I wonder if this is the same thing that's happening around the Clacton(CLN) VOR in the UK for me?  I know others have reported it too and I think I remember it having something to do w/ Orbx Vector but I'm not sure.  Anyway, flying any departure out of the London area airports that cross this VOR is a complete "long pause" affair for me for about a 10nm radius around this VOR.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I would love to know if this is inevitable and simply a "traffic jam" that one needs to learn to live with, or if some clever coding could convince P3D to not stop and "throw up a fur ball" whenever there is a some dense scenery to navigate through..

• Upvote 1

Bert

I'm surprised that this issue, which is being so regularly reported by so many, that LM have not been able to identify it. Assuming of course that they are aware of it.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

24 minutes ago, klamal said:

I wonder if this is the same thing that's happening around the Clacton(CLN) VOR in the UK for me?  I know others have reported it too and I think I remember it having something to do w/ Orbx Vector but I'm not sure.  Anyway, flying any departure out of the London area airports that cross this VOR is a complete "long pause" affair for me for about a 10nm radius around this VOR.

I dont think Ive had issues with Clacton but do recall that VOR was discussed on the UKScenery2000 forums.  Only way I can minimise long pauses and reduce them the 0.5s ones is to use a scenery configuration tool and deselect as many regions as not required.  I'll have a quick test on my own over Clacton VOR

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

17 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I would love to know if this is inevitable and simply a "traffic jam" that one needs to learn to live with, or if some clever coding could convince P3D to not stop and "throw up a fur ball" whenever there is a some dense scenery to navigate through..

Like I previously said Bert I get it with all settings on their lowest so there basically is no scenery loading and textures are a blurry mess.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

This thread is starting to looks like it might develop into another 'CTD over Newfoundland / Labrador'

It's probably not ORBX, but possibly an underlying issue with how P3D looks-up scenery, causing the stuttery mess we experience in certain locations.

ORBX could be exacerbating the problem by having their own lookup scripts run at the same time as P3D.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter