Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

Orbx causing long pauses in v4.4

Has anyone of you with long pause issues tried locking FPS at 20 and leaving Vsync off? If yes, also go with 1024 textures and 4MSAA , there should not be any long pauses. The only other settings I avoid are speed trees, dynamic reflections, bathymetry, and terrain shadows.  Everything else is full right except auto gen bldgs. and trees which I set one notch left from full right.

I never had long pauses in 4.3 and I have all the usual add-ons including Orbx KSAN and the full Orbx global &  So Cal , AS/ASCA, UTL  @87%, PMDG, A2A, all FB, ect ect ect.   

I have experienced pauses before ... but I have currently don't have any and I believe it is a case of too many "active" add-ons within a specific area ... for example if you look at how P3D (and FSX for that matter) split the regions:

4e80ff93db5fea8ad9c891abaaf9cf52.jpg

As you can see, there are 4 regions P, C, R, B  (B is VERY large) that will likely need to be scanned even when in the SoCal area ... so indexes will be taking a thrashing.  In a based default install, there is no problem, but if you have LC NA, Orbx SoCal, Orbx NorCal, Orbx PNW (and others) there might be A LOT of lookups happening.

Europe is another area of similar regions convergence, A, K, L, N, O ... both hot spots.

There is also the possibility any prior CTD or BSOD might have corrupted the scenery index files, delete the sceneryindexes64 (going by memory so something like that) as it will get regenerated on next start of P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: my rule of thumb, if you ever CTD or BSOD while flying P3D, after recovering your PC, you should always delete your shaders and delete your sceneryindexes64 folders before starting P3D again

36 minutes ago, pracines said:

Has anyone of you with long pause issues tried locking FPS at 20 and leaving Vsync off? If yes, also go with 1024 textures and 4MSAA , there should not be any long pauses.

I got long pauses on tests near Shoreham on the south of England.  Flying over a golf course 2 miles to the west on an easterly bearing generated a long pause even with every single setting in the sim on minimum but with all sceneries enabled in the library.  Disabling FTX England (region Im flying in) resolved nothing, only disabling a large amount of scenery entries that I wasnt flying in (eg all USA and Oceania) helped reduce long pauses to single small stutter.  These occured in exactly the same spots.  When testing in the summer they happened in locations in England, a certain location in Pacific North West and also a spot in Norway.  All repeatable.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 minute ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I got long pauses on tests near Shoreham on the south of England.  Flying over a golf course 2 miles to the west on an easterly bearing generated a long pause even with every single setting in the sim on minimum but with all sceneries enabled in the library.  Disabling FTX England (region Im flying in) resolved nothing, only disabling a large amount of scenery entries that I wasnt flying in (eg all USA and Oceania) helped reduce long pauses to single small stutter.  These occured in exactly the same spots.  When testing in the summer they happened in locations in England, a certain location in Pacific North West and also a spot in Norway.  All repeatable.

Chris

System specs?

For example, if I tried to run P3D 4.4 using an older windows 7 PC I have, I would get longer pauses than you do. :-)

But if you have a newer 4.5+ GHz machine then I submit there is a bottleneck somewhere in the hardware/drivers/system settings.

Without knowing how P3D's scenery lookup works and how it interacts with Orbx regions, it is hard to figure out what to do, other than disable a whole bunch of scenery entries which frankly is a pain.. but possibly the only real fix (for now..)

It is clear to me that P3D scours through all my scenery files while paused over 16R, and in a way I am amazed that it finishes within a second or two.. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Bert

I have a similar problem. I don't know all the locations I see mentioned but by any chance is there water in site of the pause area. When I take off to the south at KPNS just as I lift high enough to see the bay I get a pause. Using the normal orbx stuff. It just seams like it happens word not allowed it is trying to load water textures. I don't get the pause when landing from south to north passing over the same area.

Edit ...I guess "when" is not allowed here on this site?? These guys are really sharp??

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Chris

Yup, that is pretty much what I am experiencing as well.

And, when I fly with my buddies, we all get pauses in pretty much the same places.. so this is not system specific.

Bert

2 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I have a similar problem. I don't know all the locations I see mentioned but by any chance is there water in site of the pause area. When I take off to the south at KPNS just as I lift high enough to see the bay I get a pause. Using the normal orbx stuff. It just seams like it happens word not allowed it is trying to load water textures. I don't get the pause when landing from south to north passing over the same area.

If you were to run Procmon to track I/O, you'll see that it is not a matter of loading any one or several textures..

Rather it is seaching through your whole scenery list in search of... who knows what.

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

f you were to run Procmon to track I/O, you'll see that it is not a matter of loading any one or several textures..

Rather it is seaching through your whole scenery list in search of... who knows what.

Even stranger...I did not have this problem prior to upgrading my computer a few days ago. I am not sure I made any departures to the south between new build and loading Ver 4.4. I sure have it now!! LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

35 minutes ago, pracines said:

System specs?

For example, if I tried to run P3D 4.4 using an older windows 7 PC I have, I would get longer pauses than you do. 🙂

But if you have a newer 4.5+ GHz machine then I submit there is a bottleneck somewhere in the hardware/drivers/system settings.

Specs are i7 6700K, currently at 4.5, was at 4.7ghz.  GTX 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 3400mhz ram

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

36 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Without knowing how P3D's scenery lookup works and how it interacts with Orbx regions, it is hard to figure out what to do, other than disable a whole bunch of scenery entries which frankly is a pain.. but possibly the only real fix (for now..)

It is clear to me that P3D scours through all my scenery files while paused over 16R, and in a way I am amazed that it finishes within a second or two.. :wink:

It is a pain Bert though I use SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9.  Takes a bit of time setting up groups the way you want them but after that you simply prior to loading the sim switch groups off or on, everything within that group is then enabled or disabled in the scenery library.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

45 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Disabling FTX England (region Im flying in) resolved nothing, only disabling a large amount of scenery entries that I wasnt flying in (eg all USA and Oceania) helped reduce long pauses to single small stutter.  These occured in exactly the same spots. 

I did two tests.. first deleted the Scenery Indexes... no change.

Second, disabled every single addon I own, except for FTX SoCal and Orbx Libraries.

Bingo, all pauses gone!

A slight shudder in places where I used to get pauses, hardly noticeable.

Bert

3 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Specs are i7 6700K, currently at 4.5, was at 4.7ghz.  GTX 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 3400mhz ram

Wow, your sys specs exceed mine and your are testing with all minimum settings!! in P3D and still getting pauses?

Something is very wrong.

What FPS are you aiming for? Did you try limiting your frame rate to 20?

2 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

It is a pain Bert though I use SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9.  Takes a bit of time setting up groups the way you want them but after that you simply prior to loading the sim switch groups off or on, everything within that group is then enabled or disabled in the scenery library.

Chris

Something tells me that is the way to go... :cool:

Bert

1 minute ago, pracines said:

Wow, your sys specs exceed mine and your are testing with all minimum settings!! in P3D and still getting pauses?

Something is very wrong.

What FPS are you aiming for? Did you try limiting your frame rate to 20?

Trust me, this is not related to FPS settings etc.. Rather related to the long list of sceneries that many of us have active, all at the same time..

Bert