Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

Orbx causing long pauses in v4.4

I recently did a fresh install of Prepar3d v4.4 and installed my Orbx sceneries (Global, LC North America, Southern and Northern California, Monterey Airport, amongst others.  When performing a cross country flight from Monterey CA to Santa Barbara, CA I encountered frequent long pauses as I got close to Santa Barbara.  The pauses were so bad that it ruined the entire experience. I never experienced this in v 4.3.

I than performed the recommended Prepar3d troubleshooting steps.  Without the Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America, the simulator performed flawless over Southern California.  No pauses, high frame rates and very fluid.  I added LC North America, flew the same route, and pauses appeared.  I than added Southern California, flew same route, and the pauses became very frequent and long, making for a terrible experience.  Based on this, The Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America should NOT be used while simulating over southern California in V 4.4.

My system:

i7 6800K OC'd 4.3GHz

32 GB RAM

SSD HD

GeForce GTX 1080Ti

This was present in V4.3. as well.. not sure it is any different in V4.4. on my system.

Bert

I run Santa Barbara with just FTX Global and NA LC, no So Cal region. It looks just fine and lessens the pauses.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

7 hours ago, gpf3m said:

I recently did a fresh install of Prepar3d v4.4 and installed my Orbx sceneries (Global, LC North America, Southern and Northern California, Monterey Airport, amongst others.  When performing a cross country flight from Monterey CA to Santa Barbara, CA I encountered frequent long pauses as I got close to Santa Barbara.  The pauses were so bad that it ruined the entire experience. I never experienced this in v 4.3.

I than performed the recommended Prepar3d troubleshooting steps.  Without the Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America, the simulator performed flawless over Southern California.  No pauses, high frame rates and very fluid.  I added LC North America, flew the same route, and pauses appeared.  I than added Southern California, flew same route, and the pauses became very frequent and long, making for a terrible experience.  Based on this, The Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America should NOT be used while simulating over southern California in V 4.4.

My system:

i7 6800K OC'd 4.3GHz

32 GB RAM

SSD HD

GeForce GTX 1080Ti

Known issue with Orbx CA regions.  Try turning off AI.   Also go into Orbx Config for SoCal and NorCal and uncheck things you can live without like windmills, marine masts, towers, etc.   All that drags performance down.  

you have a pretty robust PC so i'm surprised but performance is a moving target.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This was present in V4.3. as well.. not sure it is any different in V4.4. on my system.

My thoughts, exactly.  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I still have 4.3 and I had a pause that came right as I was on final approach. 

Everything stopped, but I could hear "fifty.., thirty.., twenty.., long landing, long landing.."

Then it unpaused and I was bouncing down the runway in every direction 🤨

I've always had pauses of about 10 seconds all over the world, usually on approach for landing, and the pauses have always been longer with more detailed or expansive sceneries. The absolute top was FSDT KLAX in OrbX SoCal. Many pauses, some longer than others, but the simulation would actually stop for the time of the pause. Afterward the simulation would continue form the same place. I'm not sure therefore that what I'm seeing is the same as with you all, but I read somewhere that in my case it may be related to UTL suddenly injecting a lot of AI to populate the airports.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I agree Benjamin.  The pauses are worst in the LAX area with Orbx SoCal.  It does not make any difference the power of your computer.  Something is trying to render and it cannot because maybe the object is not there?  It could be a problem with the Orbx Library.  In any case, I removed it from my system and now use MSE SoCal/NoCal.  No issues whatsoever and, with P3dV4.4, it looks better than ever. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just practiced an approach at FSDT KJFK v2 RW13L and got a massive pause (4-5 seconds) at about 1000 feet AGL. I have Orbx LC North America installed. Will try with LC North America deactivated and see if there is an improvement.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

I believe a lot of people are experiencing these long pauses but I see very few threads that relate to them and none that have resolved the issue.

I have long pauses on every flight.  Some are a lot worse than others.

I was using the Q400 when I bounced down the runway.

Most of the aircraft don't pause very long and the whole sim comes back together.

I believe the reason that the Q400 continued landing in the background is because Majestic has built in a separate "engine" outside of P3D that is running the flight dynamics and systems of their Q400 and may not be stopped by these pauses.

Other aircraft, like the Falcon 50, will come back when the pause is over.

Some will just crash the sim.

I stopped using Orbx SOCAL within about a week of purchasing it! The worst Orbx purchase ever! A shame, as I am an ardent supporter of Orbx.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I don't have these pauses but use too. My solution is scenery management. Rule #1 Dont run ORBX Vector or Landclass when in regions. Only load up the sceneries you are using. I use sim starter to control all of this. I still occasionally get a few short pauses but no more long ones. Even in downtown LA where there were lots of pauses are now just a blip if that and I only notice it because I'm looking for it.  Josh

• Upvote 3

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I have the same issues with pauses going into KLAX or KSFO using Orbx SOCAL/ NOCAL but never noticed pauses before until I installed UTL. I have a separate monitor that monitors  ProAtc/x, and the moment I see aircraft's refreshing in ProAtc/x window, is exactly when the sim pauses, roughly for about 5-10sec. In my case, UTL is the issue.

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

9 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

I have the same issues with pauses going into KLAX or KSFO using Orbx SOCAL/ NOCAL but never noticed pauses before until I installed UTL. I have a separate monitor that monitors  ProAtc/x, and the moment I see aircraft's refreshing in ProAtc/x window, is exactly when the sim pauses, roughly for about 5-10sec. In my case, UTL is the issue.

I found that to be true too with UTL. I leave mine set to about 30/40% which has helped.  PS we have the same last name Kemp

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)
  • Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

25 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I stopped using Orbx SOCAL within about a week of purchasing it! The worst Orbx purchase ever! A shame, as I am an ardent supporter of Orbx.

Howard, did you inform ORBX in their forum about your issues. I would be interestred to know, how they reacted to it 

Bernd

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080