Sign in to follow this  
ray hughes

4.4 performance drop puzzles

Updated only the client to 4.4 then. FPS plunged around KSEA (3rd party add on) from 17.5 to 23 FPS to 12 FPS!!.. Same for FSDT KLAX and KSAN.

This with the RTX 2080 8 Gig. Updated to the very latest Nvidia Driver.

Pretty sure my P3dv4.3 config file remained the same with just the client update.

What on earth is going on? Noticed also when switching aircraft on the ground the simulation comes up with a pause message which "P to unpause doesn't always work and I must quit out of the Simulation - also FSDT GSX 2 Airbridge request for a gate doesn't always work.  I know Orbx SoCal is a performance hit - but even so, why the huge discrepancy between 4.3 and 4.4.??

I have fiddled again with the Config file to reduce UTL from 80 percent to 50 percent, and reduced most other settings including turning off Dynamic lights - but KSEA and KLAX etc remain determinedly at 12-13 FPS.

Puzzled ?? Any hints, pointers or suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Had a similar issues, not too sure if it would help you, I turned off shadows and it stopped this frame rate drop for me..

To: Scrunge49..  

I did tweak the shadow setting to higher because they appeared to have been tweaked sharper. I Will try dropping the setting back down and see if this helps..

Thanks

Thanks Poppet, have done all that.

It seems 4.4 has lowered my FPS around the US West coast airports like KSEA averaging anywhere from  11 to 17 when just previously under 4.3, I was getting 17 to 23.

Another issue appears to be partially resolved by clicking the mouse onto the screen when a loading a new aircraft.  the aircaft would load in the pause mode and just stay there frozen. You could select pull down menu items and hear sounds but nothing else.  I discovered if I click anywhere on the screen in the 3d cockpit , this allowed me to un-pause so the aircraft loads properly.

On a more positive note, I am pleased with the sharpness and textures 4.4 brings

Hi Ray,

Just for info, I also have the strange pausing behaviour in 3d cockpit.

IVlooi, what is your graphics Card and how much Vram do you have. ?  I am beginning to suspect a possible VRAM blowout

Did you ever solve your problem?

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Hi Dan,

Not yet. I have turned down many settings, and options. KSEA hovers around 13-15 FPS with 40 percent traffic in late afternoon with 100 percent cloud cover (and/or rain). I just don't know what else to do apart from a full install of 4.4 and I am very reluctant to do that because I really don't have the time.

Thanks for asking

Hi,

Similar issue here. Roughly, the frames in my system were cut by half between 4.3 and 4.4. Did not try yet Poppet suggestion. Other then that - I am "wondering" around forums to find a hint for a solution....

Thanks

Benny K

Edited by BK2
Forgot name and Tx

I hate to be the guy to suggest this but perhaps a clean install is in order. I know, I know its a pain in the a**, but 4.4 is a major update. Also, not all addons are compatible yet. I would recommend a clean install and slowly install known compatible addons one at a time checking performance after each install.

Every time a P3D update is released (about every 6 months) I nuke my entire system and start fresh. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. 

I wish all developers would follow Lockheed's recommendations and install addons OUTSIDE the Prepar3D folder... (ORBX!!!!)   

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

4 hours ago, Bnash00 said:

I wish all developers would follow Lockheed's recommendations and install addons OUTSIDE the Prepar3D folder... (ORBX!!!!)

I'm not sure that this has anything to do with performance drop but personally I hate the process that has been adopted for installs outside of the P3D install.

Now, the XP model is superior in this regard, as one just make a short cut to wherever the scenery is installed and it can be all over the place if one wishes. Not fussy about how to organize priorities for scenery though in the XP scenery.ini file.

However having said this, I did rebuilt the shaders, but backed up and kept my config file, using the old one keeps all ones settings. My install went smooth and performance is very nice, no issues. So not sure but I would start with the shaders.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi.

Pleased to report that removing Prepared3d.cfg and Shaders and let them regenerate, actually reversed the performance issue for the better. I now get 22-25 in KSFO (Flightbeam KSFOHD) with PMDG777, which is in fact higher then before with 4.3. Great.

Thank you all and specially Poppet...

Benny K

On 12/4/2018 at 1:50 PM, BK2 said:

I now get 22-25 in KSFO

And before with 4.3?
I'm trying to understand if there is this real fps boost.

Thanks