Sign in to follow this  
kevinc5

When will I need a new Win 10 license?

I'm considering a rebuild of my current i7 2700K system... New CPU, GPU, memory, motherboard, etc. How much can I change before before the gremlns at Microsoft consider my build a to be a new computer and require me to purchase a new license for Win 10?  Are there any Windows Whisperers here who have a workaround? I won't tell anyone. Thanks,.

Edited by kevinc5
correction

If the motherboard changes, you've got to reactivate Windows. That was the case with the OS before W10 but now, if you have the system tied to your MS account, you could easily reactivate your new hardware without going through much fuss (as long as your current system has been tied to your MS account). Follow the steps mentioned here so your current system is registered properly before a hardware swap: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

What type of Windows license do you have?  OEM or retail? If OEM - you'll need a new license. If it's retail - the license is yours and you can transfer it to any machine you want.