Sign in to follow this  
PaulFWatts

Vertex website is Live!

I'm not one to split hairs over a navigation database. When it comes down to it, on paper and preview pictures, what you have done looks to be a top quality DA-62 that I will love to fly. Up until this very thread, I didn't even know what FSAerodata was. I just have a subscription to Navigraph and if an aircraft I own doesn't support it, it's not the end of the world. But it sure is nice 🙂

Best of luck with the upcomming release!

Edited by PWJT8D
  • Like 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

product looks good.

don't understand the nav database currency obsession, sounds like a deal breaker for many here...

getting a decent g1000 gauge package without fps getting hammered is more important?

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

35 minutes ago, Sean Moloney said:

Hi Guys. First I just want to say thanks for the many supportive emails and posts over the last few weeks. I've been keeping off the forums in an effort to get things done as quickly as possible. The last 1 or 2% of the DA62’s development has taken much longer than expected—which I probably should have expected because that is always the case…

I thought I should provide some definitive answers to some of the main concerns. I'm sure many of you will already know a lot of what I am about to say but I just want to be as clear as possible regarding some of the questions raised.

Regarding the navaid database—The Vertx G1000 uses the internal navaid database—the same database used by the default P3D GPS. Included in that database are approach procedures, so basically any GPS in P3D that relies on the internal database will use the internal approach database. 

If you want to update the internal database, that can be done via FSAerodata or the free Aero Sors update. FSAerodata updates all navaid data, including approaches, and adds new departure and arrival procedures. I don't personally have experience with Aer Sors so I am unsure what it updates. With FSAerodata installed into P3D, the Vertx G1000 will have up-to-date navaids and approach procedures. At this point in time the Vertx G1000 does not include support for the FSAerodata SIDs and STARs (see below).

I do hope to continue adding features to the G1000 over the coming months and years, and an updated navaid database is a top priority. There are two paths that can be taken here. The first is to add further support for FSAerodata. To implement FSAerodata SIDs and STARS in a GPS, the GPS developer needs to add support for that. With the G1000, that's not a small job. New pages need to be coded to allow the user to browse, select and activate SIDs/STARS, and these pages need to be coded specifically to work with the new FSAerodata SID/STAR database. Whether this is worth doing will really depend on customer feedback, and whether there is sufficient demand. At this stage I don't know how many people are using FSAerodata.

The alternative to adding further FSAerodata support is to move to an external Navigraph database. That is a very big job but it could be worth doing - the internal navaid and approach database is tremendously difficult to work with. Once the aircraft is released and I start getting more customer feedback, I should have a better feel for which is the better direction to take. I need to point out here that this has been a mostly solo project and there are only so many hours in the day, so I have to pick what I work on very carefully.

Regarding LPV approaches—as has been pointed out there is no data in the default navaid database for this type of approach. What I have done is create simulated LPV approaches for certain GPS approach types. The Vertx G1000 code takes the final approach fix altitude of certain GPS approaches, and uses that to calculate an approach glidepath to the runway. So as far as the pilot is concerned the Vertx G1000 functions the same as a real life G1000 when it comes to LPV approaches, aside from certain caveats regarding the approach database as mentioned above. WAAS/EGNOS augmentation is not a concern because (unlike real life GPS) the P3D GPS is perfectly accurate straight out of the box, and as a P3D developer you have access to perfectly accurate aircraft position data.

I hope to add other features in the future, such as SVS, weather radar, and traffic. But the goal up to this point has been to get the current aircraft released. What I have really concentrated on getting right is the core G1000 usability—that it's nice to use, that text is clear and readable, that you can zoom right into it without it becoming blurry or jaggy, that the animations are all smooth and precise, that the maps work nicely and so on. In particular if you like flying IFR by hand (rather than autopilot) it's a joy to use. While at the moment it doesn't have 100% of the real G1000's functionality, the functionality that is does have is very realistic. I spent a huge amount of time on the official Garmin sim to make sure that when it comes to button press sequences and so on, it works as closely to the real thing as I could manage.

Sean Moloney

Vertx

Sean,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule for explaining all that you are doing with your DA62 + G1000.  Looking forward to release day, I have been showing my wife the real videos about this aircraft.  I can not believe that I never knew about DA62 till I saw the youtube beta videos of your work.

Again, I am not fully versed in the complete aviation navigational know how - but dealing with Navigraph will be the best imho for example, I believe G1000 can show charts in real life, and with navigraph chart subscription the charts will show up (as PMDG 747-8 is doing).  You get the source data directly.  The best solution is talk to the developers of FSAerodata & Navigraph and figure something out.  Maybe even official Diamond Aircraft company employees can help.

From what I can tell - you have put lot of time on this project (and on the amazing website).  We all are looking forward and super excited to see your work in action.

Thank you 

Skywolf

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread.

When you get the time I would also add my +1 for the Navigraph approach (pun intended 🙄)

In the meantime looking forward to many hours flying your new plane.

23 minutes ago, PaulFWatts said:

Hi Sean,

Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread.

When you get the time I would also add my +1 for the Navigraph approach (pun intended 🙄)

In the meantime looking forward to many hours flying your new plane.

That's definitely the preferred option. I need to look into what's involved in more detail before I'm able to make any promises. As it is the Vertx G1000 uses its own flight planner logic and makes its own flight plan tracking calculations (for the enroute phase at least), and most of the autopilot functions are custom coded, so it's already part way to being removed from the default GPS logic.

Sean

• Like 2

+1 for Navigraph too, mainly because of additional costs that FSAerodata brings. 😉 I can buy a Navigraph cycle once a year or once a decade and keep on using it and reinstalling it. AFAIK FSAerodata needs an active Navigrpah subscription at the moment of install (afaik you can't reinstall FSAerodata later on, after a system reinstall, like you can with Navigraph). So you need to buy BOTH and you need them both active for a reinstall. Hence my preference for Navigraph support. 😉

One more vote for navigraph. I fly only online so an up-to-date cycle is necessary and in my opinion navigraph is the best. Pay for your subscription and you are good all year long for all your products. Thanks for your considering it!

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

+1 for Navigraph

They have a very dedicated Team which I think is necessary to support developers. 

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

Thanks for the update Sean. 

Upto date navdata is important ultimately but certainly not a dealbreaker. 

One very important piece of information is missing though. WILL SANTA BE ABLE TO BRING ME THIS MUCH ANTICIPATED ADD ON??

cheers

Dean

Edited by Dean33
  • Upvote 1

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Congrats to Sean for being so clear about what to expect for the upcoming DA-62.

I'm also +1 for the Navigraph solution, it's cheaper for the users and we could have all the navdata add-ons cycles available on a single site.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

9 hours ago, Sean Moloney said:

I thought I should provide some definitive answers to some of the main concerns. I'm sure many of you will already know a lot of what I am about to say but I just want to be as clear as possible regarding some of the questions raised.

This is what I call integrity. 

Every developer has the right to defend their product tooth and nail to the very last, but to concede that a feature was not included, and NOT make excuses as to why the product is "better without", but instead to work towards that inclusion at a later time when resources and time permit the investment is very commendable, it's just outstanding from my point of view. 

Now it's up to the community to make sure that they support this developer so that the resources they need to add these features they feel are so strongly about (myself included), do become available at some point in the future.  

Good on you Mr. Moloney.  I have the "competitors" product, but you sir have earned my patronage, and I will purchase your's as well based on this statement of clarity, and because I want to add my support to your continued development.    

To those who insist the feature is not important, please realize that actual pilots who use simulators to practice procedures are also part of this community and deserve to be heard. (+1 for navigraph data)

Best of fortunes to VERTXSIM!   

Edited by jalbino59
  • Like 6

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

11 hours ago, Sean Moloney said:

don't personally have experience with Aer Sors so I am unsure what it updates

It is a subset of what fsaerodata does and only updates NDBs, VORs, runway identifiers, and ILS information.

It seems more clear now that even though fsaerodata provides arrival and  departure updates via Navigraph, the G1000 will not utilize this information, at least for the initial release. But the good news is that all other navigation data for default airports will continue to match the current AIRAC.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It seems more clear now that even though fsaerodata provides arrival and  departure updates via Navigraph, the G1000 will not utilize this information, at least for the initial release. But the good news is that all other navigation data for default airports will continue to match the current AIRAC.

Correct, AFAIK.

4 hours ago, Dean33 said:

WILL SANTA BE ABLE TO BRING ME THIS MUCH ANTICIPATED ADD ON??

Be sure that Sean reads all my postings in detail. And corrects if anything is not accurate. Also the announcement on the website is still valid.

But...

(I am one of these old bags who always responds by long exhaustive stories from "good old times" to the grandson`s questions)

More than 30 years ago, the water pump of my car needed to be replaced. How long does that take? Loosen 8 screws, replace the pump, tighten 8 screws. 10 minutes? It turned out that the blower and the cooler has to be removed first. It turned out that to remove the cooler, other parts have to be removed first... After removing the pump it turned out, that the paper seal was damaged and firmly burned at the engine block. And no replacement at hands... OAT was -20 deg c. During these two evenings.

To support Sean so he can continue his excellent work.

Rüdiger ("Rudi") Heilig

My videos "Vertx DA62 - in detail - in a nutshell": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYDO8_1njznTbsyJKEr3X2g

All my postings and other publications reflect my personal view only

8 minutes ago, rudi0310 said:

More than 30 years ago, the water pump of my car needed to be replaced. How long does that take? Loosen 8 screws, replace the pump, tighten 8 screws. 10 minutes? It turned out that the blower and the cooler has to be removed first. It turned out that to remove the cooler, other parts have to be removed first... After removing the pump it turned out, that the paper seal was damaged and firmly burned at the engine block. And no replacement at hands... OAT was -20 deg c. During these two evenings.

Lol - Being totally cryptic here on the launch date.  From what I can tell - 8 days from now.... or in 2 days (either way that that makes it early December)

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

32 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Lol - Being totally cryptic here on the launch date.  From what I can tell - 8 days from now.... or in 2 days (either way that that makes it early December)

30-8+8+10-20+2=22 22 hours.

Edited by BillS511
  • Like 1