Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

How's native vr performance in 4.4?

Hi everyone!

How is native VR in 4.4? I like native vr in P3d. Have been playing with flyinside but it kept crashing randomly too many times. I love it's performance however. I wonder if 4.4 has vr menus?

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Jozeff

Hi Jozeff - so far early days but it is touch and go whether it stays or back to 4.3 which was working well. It might sort itself out over time.

I only did a client update.

There are new issues with PBR. Transparencies on the cockpit of some older 3rd party aircraft don't render clearly any more. It seems the artificial textures that were put on to simulate reflections in the glass are now more solid textures looking wrong in 4.4. There is also issues with the mouse pointer which doesn't change size with distance any more making it hard to manipulate panels and switches on some aircraft because you have to guess where the center of the pointer is.

I'm also having more troubles with performance in ORBX sceneries but performance in default scenery is working fine. There is an issue for sure with the frame rate counter which doesn't match the experience in the headset.

Might have to drop back 4.3 which was working more reliably and smoothly even though it is less evolved than 4.4. Time will tell.

Update on today's session trying to get 4.4 running as well as 4.3 in VR.

Things are looking better.

I made the classic mistake of not having "prefer maximum performance" turned on after I did a video driver update.

Instead of using SSAA, I switched back to MSAA and teamed it up with MFAA in the video driver options. AA is good and more smooth.

Carefully tuned the autogen distance slider which is a huge stutter inducer if not set appropriately.

Reinstated FFTF=0.01 to lessen long frames in ORBX scenery close to the ground.

ENVTEX/SHADE work very well in VR.

Chaseplane works very well in VR so long as the flightsim window is not dragged to the screen edge which kills single pass rendering.

Definitely the older aircraft that were not supported in P3Dv4 are no longer any good because of PBR incompatibility.

Definitely some of the ORBX textures are not PBR render compatible for VR (the ones that try to simulate light on the ground around light poles at Avalon).

Definitely there is a change in transparency for some cockpit windscreens that is a bit odd in VR but just take get used to.

Definitely water reflections still don't render properly in VR but they never did (just turn them off but shadows work well).

Definitely boat textures are slow to load but at least the wake renders correctly in both eyes.

Definitely the pointer is weird in VR because it does not compensate focus to both eyes with distance (but still usable).

Definitely could not get the VR menu working (but doesn't matter because Oculus home desktop is much more useful anyway).

My conclusion is that all-in-all, performance is definitely on par with 4.3 which was already the equal of flyinside.

A bit more work and 4.4 should be good to go in VR if you have hardware that is the equivalent power for 4K flatscreen simulation.

I was almost ready to go for a fly and had powered up the Flight1 King Air B200 only to find that the G1000 wasn't working properly in 4.4 but an aircraft reinstall fixed it.

No flying today.

Edited by glider1

Thanks a lot! I have 4.3 but was wondering if p3dv4.4 was better.

I love the option flyinside offers but it is so unstable sometimes that I don't want to spend 30 Euro's for an unstable product.

Never tried flyinside with p3dv4 though. Would that be useful?

Cheers

Jozeff

5 hours ago, jozeff said:

Thanks a lot! I have 4.3 but was wondering if p3dv4.4 was better.

I love the option flyinside offers but it is so unstable sometimes that I don't want to spend 30 Euro's for an unstable product.

Never tried flyinside with p3dv4 though. Would that be useful?

Cheers

Jozeff

I doubt flyinside is needed any more Jozeff. Maybe on a low end system. I'm not sure it has even been updated to 4.4 yet. I stopped using flyinside once P3D 4.3 hit the scene and LM optimised VR more. Native VR might have lower frames but it is the smoothness that matters.

Just an update, I got VR a lot smoother once I turned off MFAA in nvidia settings. It was a bad idea even though it is advertised as a more efficient version of MSAA. At this stage I'm seeing 4.4 is not a performance degrade from 4.3 it is at least as good except for visual PBR related oddities.