24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm guessing you didn't fly 25 years ago when a friend with a new Pentium chip achieved 8fps in FS whatever it was and I was jealous. :wink:

You might get 60 when airborne but not even my system with no Ai can achieve 60 on the ground unless I reduce scenery settings to really low levels.

Remember, fluidity is better than high fps. Even at 15fps that is enough to successfully land Concorde with small adjustments required.

Well, my first sim was fs2000, on a super basic pc at the time...😀...I don’t even think I want to know how the FPS were...

Depending on the airports, I get between 45-60 on the grounds with vsync on. Even at FT Toronto. But it’s obviously with most gpu intesive settings quite low, or off altogether. That’s why I was hoping a new GPU with help boost those settings and maintain this performance. I have AA at 4SSAA, and it works well, as long as DL is off.

cheers

If that AA setting is in Nvidia Inspector you might want to rethink that. Usually the internal P3D AA settings will give better results.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If that AA setting is in Nvidia Inspector you might want to rethink that. Usually the internal P3D AA settings will give better results.

I only used the internal P3D settings since V4. Seems to work pretty good.

29 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

I only used the internal P3D settings since V4. Seems to work pretty good.

Is 4SSAA an option?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yep, I have a choice from 2MSAA,4MSAA,8MSAA,2SSAA,4SSAA and 8SSAA

I use 4SSAA for day flights and 8MSAA for night with DL on.

Edited by flytrumpet767

Fair enough. I need to pay closer attention. 😃

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've been interested in this particular question myself... Like the OP I have a GTX1070 and my rig is overall running things quite well... or well enough, at least. However, I have noticed that the FPS gets hit hard sometimes even if at  cruise and there just happens to be a very complex weather scenario with lots of clouds. When this happened last time, cruising towards Moscow at FL340 in the PMDG 74F, I checked the task manager and noticed that while the CPU was at around 60-70%, the GPU was going crazy, apparently having a rough time dealing with the number of clouds. Intriguingly, whenever I'd look into any  direction where there weren't any clouds in view, the FPS would go right up. And later on, as I descended through the clouds and the lights of Moscow became visible, landing at UUEE, even with all the traffic, the performance was quite smooth.

All this to say that I *think* I might benefit from a GPU upgrade... Frankly, my biggest interest is in the 1080ti because of the extra VRAM. Now with 4.4 enabling tetcure and scenery loading far off into the distance, having more VRAM seems particularly useful.

In addition, I like pretty things... My sliders are typically set to high, or very high. Richard mentioned FT Toronto: here I currently get 17-18 FPS depending on where I was pointing the nose of the aircraft (PMDG 737). It'd be nice if the performance at this airport was a little better, say ~24-25FPS. Overall I'd say that 17-20 FPS is pretty typical for me for the large hubs, with some exceptions.

Any opinions in addition to what was discussed here before? Haven't seen too many opinions about increasing the VRAM per se, so if anybody has any particular advice about that, that would be helpful.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Well, for better or worse, I went ahead and ordered a 2080. I’m also going to give vr a try, so I guess it made upgrading even more attractive. We’ll see how it goes.

Let us know what your experience is!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

9 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Let us know what your experience is!

I will. It will be paired with a 9700k, should be a decent upgrade for sure.

I just upgraded my GTX970 to a RTX2080 along with a new dell 38" ultrawide. Could not be happier. Anyone who has a 970 know's the weather and lighting just crushes that card. No more problems with the 2080.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

9 minutes ago, turboken said:

I just upgraded my GTX970 to a RTX2080 along with a new dell 38" ultrawide. Could not be happier. Anyone who has a 970 know's the weather and lighting just crushes that card. No more problems with the 2080.

Did you not consider a UHD monitor? The 2080 has enormous amounts of power hardly used on such  a modest resolution.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Did you not consider a UHD monitor? The 2080 has enormous amounts of power hardly used on such  a modest resolution.

Ray, the secret to good performance in P3D (as I am sure you know) is to NOT use all the power that you have installed (and have paid big bucks for..) :wink:

Bert

20 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Ray, the secret to good performance in P3D (as I am sure you know) is to NOT use all the power that you have installed (and have paid big bucks for..) :wink:

Bert,

I agree that two much power is better than too little. 😉 The OP hasn’t stated the resolution but if it’s 1440 vertical (QHD) that won’t give crisp displays as UHD does.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather