Sign in to follow this  

Virtual Reality first impressions (Samsung Oddysey+)

Thank you for your impressions, that’s what I needed to order the Odyssey +. I did try last year’s Odyssey about 6 months ago, and really liked it. I ended up returning it at the time, but I think now I’m ready to go VR full time.

I should receive it next week. Can’t wait to get started.

Quick question. Is it possible to open and operate windows (ATC, GSX, etc) from within the native P3D  VR?

Also, should I upgrade my GTX 1070 to a 2080?

Thanks

On 12/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, Avidean said:

The immersion in the virtual 3D world is mind blowing. I know that that the image quality on a screen is considerably better but my days of simming on of any kind of gaming on a screen are over. The Pro's of VR outweigh the Con's by so much already that I am sure it is only a matter of time before VR really takes off. I can see that there are issues but I beat that after another few hours I'll have everything worked out and I beat that this technology in 2 or 3 years from now will be mind blowing. For this user its already mind blowing.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

35 minutes ago, flytrumpet767 said:

Also, should I upgrade my GTX 1070 to a 2080?

It would be a good move. Or a used 1080ti......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

14 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

It would be a good move. Or a used 1080ti......

Well, just ordered a 2080, hopefully both the card and Odyssey should arrive mid next week. Then the fun is starting.

20 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

That is awesome. I cant believe the FPS of 170/80's. Before VR I typically focused on 1 sim mainly P3D, then X-plane 11 for a few months. Didn't think much of AFS2. But I've been supper impressed with all of them in VR and in different ways too. Never had much time for DCS but I am sure after watching this video that's going to change. VR has totally given my simulated flying and driving experiences a massive shot of adrenaline. I'm like a kid in a candy store 😁

Edited by Guest

I’m really excited now. So much so that I decided to upgrade the rest of my system. Now I just need to figure out which CPU to get...8700k, 8086, 9600k, 9700k...too many options...

1 hour ago, flytrumpet767 said:

I’m really excited now. So much so that I decided to upgrade the rest of my system. Now I just need to figure out which CPU to get...8700k, 8086, 9600k, 9700k...too many options...

Main thread Ghz is you best friend with CPU. You should be looking for 5ghz+

I am still getting 4.8ghz from my five year old i7 4770k but I suspect that my next significant purchase will be used 1080ti

I’m leaning towards a 8700k, but the 9700k is not much more for somewhat future proofing. I’m not sure about the heat issues while OC yet. I’m planning to upgrade my Noctua DH 14 with a DH 15. Just wondering if it’ll be enough to OC to 5ghz...more research needed.

Anyway, I had a little me time today and I planned on Flying the NGX from FSDT - KJFK to FT - CYYZ over DD NYC and FTX Glabal. So since I've praised VR no end its time to share some of my frustration. And maybe I can get some help.

I wasn't surprised to fiind big white square blocking my view so that put the stymie on that. I know its a known issue but I think everyone is waiting for a fix from PMDG. Having said that the NGX flight deck is awesome in VR from the point of view of the scale. I've been on the flight deck of a 737 a few times and its about right. On a screen you would get the impression that its much bigger than it actually is. Its about the same a being in the cab of a truck.

The next thing in Prepar3D is Recalibrate Origin. I mapped it to a button on my key board and it just wouldn't work. So once I loaded up the flight I had to select VR on the top menu on my monitor and have the mouse hovered over "Recalibrate Origin". Put the head set on, look straight forward and grope around for the mouse to click on it. That worked but it was frustration that the mapping to the button didn't work because I can find buttons on my joystick easily without being able to see it.

EnableGazeSelection also didn't work! I like that I can have a courser of sorts in VR but I don't want to see it in the center of my view constantly. I had assumed and maybe correctly that when EnableGazeSelection was disabled I could move that dot around with the mouse independently of head movement. The reason I don't know is that even though I turned off EnableGazeSelection, it just stayed on!

Given that I had to move the dot around with my head I still couldn't actuate switches of dials. Mouse wheel and buttons seem not to have any effect in VR in P3D.

It also seems very difficult to do any performance tuning in P3D for VR since there doesn't seem to be any way to access P3D menus in the VR. Its a lot of putting on and taking off. I am not sure if the emulator can be used for Performance tuning.I simply didn't have time to day to figure it all out.

So far I would say that the Implementation of VR in X-Plane 11 is far better than P3D but as I haven't had much time with it yet I won't commit to that.

I understand that the is a way to see you keyboard with the head set on via the cameras in the from of the headset. Again something I haven't figure out how to operate yet. Any tips much appreciated

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

So far I would say that the Implementation of VR in X-Plane 11 is far better than P3D but as I haven't had much time with it yet I won't commit to that.

Flyinside probably has the better P3D VR controls, but for various reasons many people have retreated from that option.

You might also take a look at flyinside sim. It's designed from the outset for VR

Devons rig

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

Anyway, I had a little me time today and I planned on Flying the NGX from FSDT - KJFK to FT - CYYZ over DD NYC and FTX Glabal. So since I've praised VR no end its time to share some of my frustration. And maybe I can get some help.

I wasn't surprised to fiind big white square blocking my view so that put the stymie on that. I know its a known issue but I think everyone is waiting for a fix from PMDG. Having said that the NGX flight deck is awesome in VR from the point of view of the scale. I've been on the flight deck of a 737 a few times and its about right. On a screen you would get the impression that its much bigger than it actually is. Its about the same a being in the cab of a truck.

The next thing in Prepar3D is Recalibrate Origin. I mapped it to a button on my key board and it just wouldn't work. So once I loaded up the flight I had to select VR on the top menu on my monitor and have the mouse hovered over "Recalibrate Origin". Put the head set on, look straight forward and grope around for the mouse to click on it. That worked but it was frustration that the mapping to the button didn't work because I can find buttons on my joystick easily without being able to see it.

EnableGazeSelection also didn't work! I like that I can have a courser of sorts in VR but I don't want to see it in the center of my view constantly. I had assumed and maybe correctly that when EnableGazeSelection was disabled I could move that dot around with the mouse independently of head movement. The reason I don't know is that even though I turned off EnableGazeSelection, it just stayed on!

Given that I had to move the dot around with my head I still couldn't actuate switches of dials. Mouse wheel and buttons seem not to have any effect in VR in P3D.

It also seems very difficult to do any performance tuning in P3D for VR since there doesn't seem to be any way to access P3D menus in the VR. Its a lot of putting on and taking off. I am not sure if the emulator can be used for Performance tuning.I simply didn't have time to day to figure it all out.

I understand that the is a way to see you keyboard with the head set on via the cameras in the from of the headset. Again something I haven't figure out how to operate yet. Any tips much appreciated

I’m very interested in your findings. Could be a deal breaker as I mainly fly the PMDG planes. I seem to remember with my short time with the original Odyssey and P3D V4.3 that I was able to reset the cockpit position using a button assignment, and I was also able to interact with everything in the cockpit using the little white circle. Typing on the FMC was a bit of a pain, but still doable.

Well, it can be done.....

Devons rig

25 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well, it can be done.....

I did try flyinside, the demo, and honestly didn’t really like it. For me the native P3D vr was better. Somewhat less awkward. I guess I will have to give it a shot when my new pc is built. That would be disappointing if v4.4 went backwards in that aspect. That being said, from what I’ve seen so far, other sims will definitely be more vr friendly than p3d. Which causes a dilemma as the PMDG planes are my go to addons.

Thanks for the video

I don't doubt that any of these things can be done. In fact I have already found the fix for the 2D popup white square blocking view in NGX (and apparently in all PMDG aircraft and fsl airbus) is a light sensor or something. Just wish I had more time to work on it! 😀

Watched the video. Sure that works. I have a feeling he is using the VR controllers. Those translucent hands aren't my cup of tea. I definitely prefer the to just use the mouse and cursor. I'll have to hit them up on the LM support forum to figure this stuff out.