Sign in to follow this  
greg100o

Cockpit panning is very juddery

I am using P3d V4.4 but it was an issue in 4.3. I assign my controllers though FSUIPC exclusively, thus no overlap with P3d controller settings. My Hat switch is assigned in Chaseplane to the P0 P90 etc references and I do not seem to have any overlap with similar settings in FSUIPC. I am not using Game mode, which caused this problem for others. Going from one preset to another is smooth. But just panning around the cockpit is very juddery in my PMDG 737 NGX which is all I fly. When I arrive at the final viewing point it also seems to vibrate back and forth a bit a bit around this final spot before becoming stationary.

Using the latest experimental updates for Chaseplane. But it seems to always have been this way.

Could this just be my rig or could there could there be an issue with Chaseplane or settings causing this?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Clark

That looks pretty normal unless you frame rate is over 30?

Are you using zoom on those cameras? I found removing all zoom and using only 1.0 setting made a big difference in smoothness of transitions.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Hi Thanks for your response. My zoom is set to .99. It is very helpful to me to know that this is what others experience too then, and I won't worry about it any more.

Greg

• Like 1

Greg Clark

I decided to look into this on my setup more. Keven might comment here. I was wondering if a conflicting assignment in FSUIPC might be contributing to the juddery panning. To investigate I did the following:

1. I noticed that panning around the cockpit with Chaseplane mouse function is much smoother.

2. I asked what is controlling my panning? I use FSUIPC exclusively for all inputs and have controllers disabled in P3d V4.4. I apparently early on did assign panning to my POV button in FSUIPC. But even if I disable Chaseplane, or do not load it, I cannot pan the cockpit with my POV button,  even though I would think I should be able to use FSUIPC to do so. (But maybe I set it up incorrectly) To further evaluate  I took the button assignment out of FSUIPC with no benefit to juddery panning in the cockpit.

3. I did discover that  Chaseplane has control buttons assigned using my POV switch to  Joy P270, 90, 0, 180 so Chaseplane definitely controls my panning.

So I can only conclude that Chaseplane is causing the juddery panning with the POV button.  But why would mouse pan be much smoother than using POV button pan? Perhaps the speed of panning?Any settings within Chaseplane I could change on this? Would I be better off disabling Chaseplane panning and using FSUIPC or would that even be possible?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Clark

Just my input which may or not help until Keven can get back to you.

Did FSUIPC ever give you smooth panning with your hat switch BEFORE you had CP?

Crucial point here is that mouse panning is effectively ANALOG where the joy hat is DIGITAL. Mouse movement smoothly tels the sim or CP exactly where to move the view point and at what speed plus where to stop.

Pan switch movement is total digital 'guess work' on the other hand. Unless you actually have an analog hat switch when ever you press a direction all that happens is a 1 or 0 is sent to the sim (within the hardware ID code of course). The sim or CP then has to interpret exactly what to do with that. Pan 1 degree, 5 or 20 degrees? To transition between degrees or snap (that would be horrible). Plus what to do when you HOLD the button down. FSUIPC can be programmed to behave differently when you hold a digital button down I dont know what CP does. IF it receives another button press from you (or a repeat held button signal) AND it has not yet reached its original degree pan destination does it wait until getting there or 'jump' another 1/2/5 degrees? I'm sure you can see where i am getting at! Imagine you hold the pan button left 270 for 3 seconds. Depending on the hardware repeat rate (another variable!) you may transmit say 15 signals to CP (assuming repeat rate of 5ps). Does it pan 5 degree x 15 =75 smoothly or does it STOP panning as soon as you release your finger (after wildly trying to accelerate to catch up!) regardless of how many actual times the digital signal was transmitted?

Like I said this is probably of no help to your issue but might explain why you are having it in the first place, as mouse panning is a completely different ball game to digital hat panning.

Cheers and good luck!

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Hi Sloppymusic,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I never knew that there was a difference between how the two work, and what you say makes sense. Certainly interesting to see this information. Just trying to put two plus  two together with a few clues, but of course not having knowledge of the real underlying tech. I was an FSX user and had Chaseplane there but did not use FSUIPC to program my controllers.  I was forced to use FSUIPC with P3d because P3d does not support dual throttle set ups natively, which FSX did. So in retrospect, I never had a chance to see what FSUIPC panning was like in P3D as Chaseplane was already running as soon as I fired up P3d after installing and jumping right to my PMDG 737.  And that  likely accounts for why the POV switch on the flight sim yoke seemed to work with no programming of FSUIPC as I now recall! But I probably went ahead  and programmed the POV button  anyway as I was working my way through the massive manual on how to use FSUIPC.  Flight simming is unbelievably complicated in terms of trying to troubleshoot some issues like this without background.

Greg

• Upvote 1

Greg Clark

1 hour ago, greg100o said:
1 hour ago, greg100o said:

Flight simming is unbelievably complicated in terms of trying to troubleshoot some issues like this without background.

Flight simming is more complicated than actually flying as you have to learn the sim software as well as the plane!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK