Sign in to follow this  
breakinghbts

Tfdi 717 and 4.4

I know there has been many topics already on the 717. But it seems so scattered, was hoping I could get a few quick answers?

Ive been debating on getting the 71 for awhile now, and a clean install of 4.4 seems like the excuse. Over on the tfdi forums quite a few people mention a CTD while changing views? Is that still an issue? I prefer to cruise in spot view...and i like watching gsx do its thing. How worried should i be about this issue?

Also, has anyone had issues with 4.4 at all? Its so new, i havent seen specfic comments on the 717.

And last, how easy is it to learn to fly? I currently have been obsessed with the QW787. Ive flown pmdg stuff too, so im not above a complex airliner. But im looking for something hopefully easy to learn, so i can start enjoying it. 

Any other tips a new 717 pilot should be aware of?

Thanks for taking the time!

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

The 717 is a great addon, a nice change from flying the usual Airbus or Boeing aircraft.  I haven’t experienced the CTD’s mention (still flying in v4.3).

Biggest thing to keep in mind is that although it is a Boeing, it is not a Boeing.  It’s a McDonnell Douglas aircraft design and that is reflected in the systems, flows etc.  I don’t think it’s any More difficult than other high detail aircraft, just different.  Again, I find it to be a nice change from the usual.  It’s kind of a blend of MD-11 and MD-80 systems.

Edited by regis9
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thx for the info. I flew the maddog back in FS9. Dont recall much from it. So i guess ill have to get out of the boeing mindset. (Since v4.0 i havent flown anything but boeings) Im thinkin about setting it up tonight after work. Hopefully the learning curve isnt so big.

Tony Moore

17 minutes ago, breakinghbts said:

Ive been debating on getting the 71 for awhile now, and a clean install of 4.4 seems like the excuse. Over on the tfdi forums quite a few people mention a CTD while changing views? Is that still an issue? I prefer to cruise in spot view...and i like watching gsx do its thing. How worried should i be about this issue?

And last, how easy is it to learn to fly?

From the sounds of it, 4.4 still has the issues.  Supposedly its an issue with LM and they need to fix it.  but after a year you think the team would have actively just found a work around as no one else is having the issue.  Their current solution is to open a separate window and keep it open the whole time which costs frames.  I'm not to keen on doing something like that.  I have 4.3 and I've experienced the CTD numerous times.

Its not bad to learn to fly.  If you flew the -11 from PMDG, working the CDU is the same.  System wise its more automated than the 73 from what I've been able to tell so it wasn't to steep of a learning curve.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

So how often is this CTD an issue? And to fix it, just open a 2nd window? Any view? Or does it have to be done a specific way? Sounds like that could be trouble. Extra windows always means less FPS.... 

Tony Moore

9 minutes ago, breakinghbts said:

So how often is this CTD an issue? And to fix it, just open a 2nd window? Any view? Or does it have to be done a specific way? Sounds like that could be trouble. Extra windows always means less FPS.... 

You'd have to read their forum to figure out which panel in particular. I believe its open another VC view as the issue seems to occur when switching from external to internal and make it a tiny window.  I flew a couple flights without issue, But lately it happens every flight and I've only had the plane a few days.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Iliterally just completed PHNL - PHLI - PHNL with the TFDi 717 in 4.4, and it all went incredibly smoothly. The 717 seems to work perfectly fine. As for the learning curve, if you're familiar with Airbus and Boeing, I don't think there really is one... It looks sort of intimidating at first because the displays look different, but soon you realize its operation is not hard at all. I completed a flight KMSP-KMCI using the provided quick-start guide, and then again used it on PHNL-PHLI. On the way back to PHNL I didn't look at it anymore and all went fine. There are some quirks here and there, but you'll learn about them soon enough. A wonderful addon!

As for the change-view CTD, I've never had it, but, frankly, knowing it's an issue, I try not to change views too often...

On final into PHNL... Love that I can finally use the beautiful freeware FSJ Hawaii photoreal scenery to its fullest extent!!

2018-12-1_17-57-5-637.thumb.png.d1a7b1d90913e0203d969baff082aeba.png

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

3 hours ago, breakinghbts said:

I know there has been many topics already on the 717. But it seems so scattered, was hoping I could get a few quick answers?

Also, has anyone had issues with 4.4 at all? Its so new, i havent seen specfic comments on the 717.

And last, how easy is it to learn to fly? I currently have been obsessed with the QW787. Ive flown pmdg stuff too, so im not above a complex airliner. But im looking for something hopefully easy to learn, so i can start enjoying it. 

Any other tips a new 717 pilot should be aware of?

Thanks for taking the time!

-Tony@PVD

If you are flying the QW787 and PMDG, you won't have any problem learning the 717.  It's a great aircraft sim.  I've never had problems with changing view.

I don't jump back and forth much, but I never even knew that it had that problem and I fly the 717 quite a lot.

12 hours ago, breakinghbts said:

Sorry I cannot recommend you purchase this product. This issue has been hanging for a year with no resolution and seems it's not planned to be fixed since it was stated as a LM issue long ago.

This happens only with this aircraft and I own many complex payware. Also not HW related since I've upgraded my GPU to a 1080ti and still have the CTDs.

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Kinda hard to believe that it’s an LM problem when many complex aircraft don’t have this problem. Shame. I’m curious what makes the 717 unique in this regard. 

Just installed the 717.  Very nice airframe simulator.  Experienced my first CTD while changing views.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    Prepar3D.exe
Application Version:    4.4.16.27077
Application Timestamp:    5bfdbb35
Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version:    10.0.17134.407
Fault Module Timestamp:    99042cc0
Exception Code:    c0020001
Exception Offset:    000000000003a388
OS Version:    10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033
Additional Information 1:    f250
Additional Information 2:    f250b6f844b895bd26f6fc5911f907eb
Additional Information 3:    e566
Additional Information 4:    e5665963a3e993555f79203ff42b5d96

The kernelbase error is typical for bad overclocks. So I would be really cautious to accuse LM or TFDi if it could well just be a homemade problem. 

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Just to give an update. I did purchase and install the aircraft. I had about 4 hours in it to mess around last night. I really liked what I saw, however I did experience the changing views crash. Twice. Very disappointing. I am gunna need to figure out exactly how this workaround should be done. Other than that, the FMC was very different that I'm used to, but I figured it out. Did a complete flight BOS-BWI. Now, to read the manuals in more detail, so she's not yelling "Stabilizer" during the entire take-off roll.

Tony Moore

I found a significant increase in fps with 4.4 and the TFDi. Flying it right now too. No CTD's

Richie Walsh

With q400, I haved CTD  with changing views too, perhaps v4.4 don't like to many changes of views...

Flying yesterday the Tdfi 717 in 4.4 and halved a problem with hdg heading not working on autopilot (not with LNAV).