Sign in to follow this  
mhamilto

Is there a way to print or save Keys or Joystick Bindings

Hello all.  I just had the task of re-entering all my X-Plane 11 keys and joystick bindings, following a crash with the beta.  While doing this, I wondered if there was an easy way to print out what keys and joystick axes/buttons had been assigned to what?  Seems to me this would be a good feature to have, if one could print these to an easily read file, so that one could re-enter things as before.  This may be in the manual, but wonder if anyone had similar experience and could weigh in?  Thanks.

Mike Hamilton

You could just save the files 'X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf' & 'X-Plane Keys.prf' somewhere safe and restore them in case of a mishap.

They can be found in <x-plane folder\Output\preferences>

Personally I automatically backup these folders on a daily basis.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I have learned the hard way not to try Beta versions.  Do you know if there is somewhere that explains exactly what is stored in the Preferences folder?  That is, what are the files, and what do they do in the program?  My problem is although i had a copy of the Prefences folder, I couldn't figure out what was crashing the crash on loading, so I couldn't determine which of the files were Ok and which were not, so i had to start again as if I had a blank install of X-Plane.   Presumably the program internally has all the data stored on our choices of joystick, buttons, keys, etc. that we have chosen to assign, so I was asking if there was an easy way to draw out these into some sort of a report or picture, so we had a digital hard copy if we needed to go back and reassign as above?  Other than the old way of writing down on paper what we had assigned.  I can go into each file using Notepad and by scrolling down for some time, can see what I assigned.  But this is tedious and in this digital age seems wasteful.  Any thoughts?  Thanks again for your help.

Mike Hamilton

Save just those two files Glenn_C mentioned to a different location, not the whole preferences folder if you're only after an archive of those settings. 

They're basic ASCII text files, you can read them in Notepad. There will be many empty variables because X-Plane tries to allow room for growth and different setups. Look for the ones where the values are filled in, and that will be your current joystick/key assignment. 

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Save just those two files Glenn_C mentioned to a different location, not the whole preferences folder if you're only after an archive of those settings. 

It is a good idea to do this once in a while anyway as rebuilding seems to iron out some problems that creep into your system.  Keeping these two files and reinserting them after the rebuild makes it easy to do.

John Wingold