Sign in to follow this  
doublebubble

Reshade and 4.4

Hi, just curious to see if anybody has reshade working in P3dv4.4? I've always used it in previous versions of p3d but not 4.4, really slow loading and glitch's, just wondering.

Cheers Rod.

Sadly it doesn't work anymore. Artefacts, lags and additionaly a crash as soon as I open any settings.

It seems to be a general compatibility issue, it's not related to a specific effect.

Best way would be to make LM aware of this directly, I wonder what they've changed in 4.4 to break reshade support?

Regards, Sebastian

Yes I have version 3.0.4 of reshade sort of working. The sort-of is that the overlay tends to slightly corrupt the P3d menus and overlays (the map for example), but you can set reshade to be almost transparent and that helps. The fx tend to be a bit clunky loading and I've had to re-install the dx dll a couple of times. Unfortunately no other version works very well that I've tried. One thing you have to do if you do not already have a reshade fx library is to first install the latest version then download whichever shaders you want. Then save the shaders to a safe folder, then remove the dx logs and dll then re-install reshade 3.04 which has no fx downloads available. I use only 3 shaders and that helps to load things quickly.

But actually the shaders do work just as well as they used to, and now I've got things sorted I haven't had any problems. I believe V 3.0.4 is the only version that works reasonably well. Most of the others have mouse trail problems and extreme corruption of the P3d menus. It is definitely worth having and the advantage is that you can still tweak the shaders live - a big plus over other shade fx.

Edited by robert young
typos

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well tried the latest reshade version and still no good at all, LM has changed something, water surface tuning doesn't work either in PTA, I had a perfectly fine looking and running V4.3 maybe go back to get my sim looking as good as it did, what a shame.

Cheers Rod.

I do use re-shade on my flying sim, and I am coming to terms that I will need to stop using it. I am guessing because P3D needs to support now PBR and non PBR content re-shade is unable to work as it used to do.

Basically 4.4 has a new set of shaders that will react differently depending of how models and objects are compiled (PBR or not PBR), imagine the challenge here.. old objects, buildings, airplanes, etc. that are not PBR need to reach to light sources, etc the way they used to were PBR objects will need to reach using a new lighting engine, both living on the same sim world at the same time.

I imagine if P3D 4.4 was supporting only PBR objects then reshade would work without any issues, however we are at a stage were LM had to deliver a product that still supports the old method of texturing and modelling in combination with the new one.

So..

S.

thank you for the explanation Symbol, I hope there is a way to get reshade to work as I got quite used to it. Isn't Xplane supporting both PBR and non-PBR? Reshade still seems to work in XP (please let's not start a P3D vs. XP)

4 minutes ago, 757FO said:

thank you for the explanation Symbol, I hope there is a way to get reshade to work as I got quite used to it. Isn't Xplane supporting both PBR and non-PBR? Reshade still seems to work in XP (please let's not start a P3D vs. XP)

I might have some time to play with my Sim next weekend and I will try to make Reshade work as before.

I will report any results by then.

I can't comment on XP as I don't know the platform as well as P3D in terms of how it integrates with DirectX.

Regards 

S.

Yeh thanks Simbol, I'm too trying to get used to not having Reshade, trying different PTA settings to try and get a similar look in 4.4 but I look forward to your findings on the subject.

Cheers Rod 

On 12/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, robert young said:

Yes I have version 3.0.4 of reshade sort of working. The sort-of is that the overlay tends to slightly corrupt the P3d menus and overlays (the map for example), but you can set reshade to be almost transparent and that helps. The fx tend to be a bit clunky loading and I've had to re-install the dx dll a couple of times. Unfortunately no other version works very well that I've tried. One thing you have to do if you do not already have a reshade fx library is to first install the latest version then download whichever shaders you want. Then save the shaders to a safe folder, then remove the dx logs and dll then re-install reshade 3.04 which has no fx downloads available. I use only 3 shaders and that helps to load things quickly.

But actually the shaders do work just as well as they used to, and now I've got things sorted I haven't had any problems. I believe V 3.0.4 is the only version that works reasonably well. Most of the others have mouse trail problems and extreme corruption of the P3d menus. It is definitely worth having and the advantage is that you can still tweak the shaders live - a big plus over other shade fx.

Yep, for me, 3.0.4 works "perfectly", except as you mention..it kind of word not allowed ups the main menu when you are clicking thru it. It puts some orange colors there, and some part are kind of vanishing. But it does work and once i get into game, all is good and no crashes at all.

Reshade works perfectly:

How to do:

- Open regedit, e.g. via Windows Run (Windows + R)
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics
- Right click in right pane of regedit window (where column Name, Type, Data are)
- Click new DWORD (32-bits)
- Name this new value 'DisableHWAcceleration'
- Give it value 1 (double click on the newly created DWORD line)

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=131708&p=189933#p189933

• Like 3

Hi Eef,

Thanks for that tip. Can you please confirm this works for the later versions and that this reg tweak stops the corruption of the mouse trails and odd colours showing up in the menus? Thank you. Oh, and is that a hexadecimal value of 1 or a decimal value of 1? Thanks.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

1 hour ago, Eef said:

Reshade works perfectly:

How to do:

- Open regedit, e.g. via Windows Run (Windows + R)
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics
- Right click in right pane of regedit window (where column Name, Type, Data are)
- Click new DWORD (32-bits)
- Name this new value 'DisableHWAcceleration'
- Give it value 1 (double click on the newly created DWORD line)

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=131708&p=189933#p189933

Doesn't work with Reshade V3.0.8

Cheers Rod 

Hi Rod. It does work with 3.04. And 3.04 allows you to use easy sliders rather than typing in parameters. It works flawlessly and not a single artefact on screen.

I just noticed this disables hardware acceleration for WPF, pay attention to the LM post, P3D 4.3 was disabling this under WPF but only for Prepard3D, however by editing this registry key you will be disabling hardware acceleration for any WPF application

So how would this impact your systems? proper testing is required..

S.