Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v4.3 stunning in UHD with BenQ monitor

I finally got my BenQ PD3200U UHD monitor yesterday and I have to say the performance of P3D v4.3 is absolutely stunning. Every subdivision on gauges is visible and instrument lettering previous just a blurry mess is readable even with my old eyes.

I don't have an Ai package installed so I know that will impact on performance but not hugely so.

The BenQ PD3200U has a 3840*2160 30Hz option and switching to that from the default 60Hz has taken a lot of work off the CPU and GPU. CPU 0 is averaging 85-95 and rarely hits 100. CPU 1 is at 17%, CPU 2 around 30% and the rest below 10%.

GPU Load is averaging 35-40% and that is down from 70+% when running at 60Hz. Just goes to show the 1080 Ti is more than capable of handling P3D in UHD.

My test scenario is slewing slowly above the O2 dome in London with stormy skies. Scenery sliders are not all the way to the right but I'm happy with the scenery complexity.

Happy days.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Glad you like it Ray.

Also own a BenQ 32'' monitor although an earlier model.

4k at 30hz is super. I also like the option of changing the colours with their own presets so I don't use shaders program any more.

Enjoy,

Pierre

Thanks Pierre. They do make excellent monitors. I'm not going to bother with their presets either or HDR in P3D for that matter. I have a Spyder5 Pro and use it on my other BenQ for accurate colour for photo work.

They allow you to install on up to 2 PCs so that should just make things just that little bit better. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Glad your enjoying your new monitor,

This may be the monitor for me when i start my upgrade process.

I wonder if you could endulge me in answering a few questions as my knowledge regarding monitors would not fill a postage stzmp.

Switching to 30hz refresh is that done through the monitor or some other way?

How are you connecting the monitor to graphic card? HDMI or display port

Can switching frequencies be done on the fly if done purely through the monitor?

Many thanks for any info you can provide

Pete Little

Hi Pete,

Done via the Nvidia Control Panel.

DP to mini-DP.

Possibly but I wouldn’t like to guess at the effect in P3D.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

29 minutes ago, zwenna said:

Vsync and TB on? 

Regards 

Of course. I still have to add an Ai package which will undoubtedly impact on performance but I’m genuinely surprised how well fps have been maintained with the switch to UHD. And all this with v4.3. I’ll be updating to 4.4 tomorrow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, do you often switch between 30 and 60 hz. I am little bit afraid of it. Reason for switching is my wife got some problems with photoshop on 30 hz si I decide to switch do 60 hz in desktop mode and 30 when in P3d. Hope that these switches did not destroy monitor and or GPU in long term validation. Regards

2 hours ago, zwenna said:

Hi Ray, do you often switch between 30 and 60 hz. I am little bit afraid of it. Reason for switching is my wife got some problems with photoshop on 30 hz si I decide to switch do 60 hz in desktop mode and 30 when in P3d. Hope that these switches did not destroy monitor and or GPU in long term validation. Regards

If your monitor supports 30Hz there's no issue. Not sure what problems she was having. Maybe a bit of input lag?

If you can't maintain 60fps in all areas of P3D there's no point trying to achieve it by setting a refresh rate of 60Hz. 30Hz will give P3D time to load scenery behind the scenes and should make for a very smooth experience.

Once I add an Ai package I'll be switching to 30Hz.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather