Cruachan

Strange Problem with Vehicle Selection...

Hi,

I am unable to select any vehicles as no vehicles appear! I am able to load the Prepar3D Default Scenario, including the Raptor F22. I am able to load other supplied Scenarios with their corresponding a/c.

My Prepar3D v4\Simobjects\Airplanes, etc. folders are all fully populated and yet...

rk7eSnT.jpg

I wait... and I wait...and yet nothing deigns to appear.

I have just updated to v4.4 (Client, Content and Scenery) and all seems well bar this one notable exception.

This is a strange one to be sure. Any ideas, anyone? Never come across this before.

Regards,

Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

29 minutes ago, duckbilled said:

can you search for a vehicle?

Sadly, no. As soon as the ‘Select Vehicle’ window is accessed it starts the “Loading Vehicles” routine with no way of stopping the process other than by clicking on the Cancel button. The sim does not crash.

Mike

Uninstall & reinstall content.msi (deactivating win defender)?

Cheers,

1 minute ago, ffantasy67 said:

Uninstall & reinstall content.msi (deactivating win defender)?

Cheers,

Hi Massimo,

Thanks for the suggestion. Clearly a reinstallation is a possibility. It may come to that. However, it would be nice to know what could be blocking this function of the sim. Windows Defender was removed from the equation years ago. I use ESET NOD32 and never encountered anything like this in the past.

Regards,

Mike

Had similar problem after client reinstall where I could select a aircraft but it would not display in the preview window and then p3d would close  I'm hopeless at trying to track down the problem luckily I don't have a lot of addons so a full reinstall was done which solved the problem hope you get it solved.

jim

• Upvote 1

Update:

ESET NOD32 disabled temporarily.

1. Reinstalled Client and system restarted -> same result

2. Reinstalled Content and system restarted -> same result!

3. Tried copying the SimObjects folder, uninstalling Content and then deleting the SimObjects folder before reinstalling Content. Ran the installer and the system hung requiring a Reset.

Restored the status quo SimObject folder-wise and reinstalled the Content successfully.

This is indeed baffling!

Each time the Select Vehicle Screen fails to populate, although the window remains active and all buttons are selectable, including Cancel. Everything else in the sim appears to be working normally.

This includes my A2A and RealAir aircraft in my Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. They fail to appear as well.

I'd rather not have to perform a clean install of >400GB so any further suggestions as to how this might be resolved would be greatly appreciated.

The v4.3 -> v4.4 update was quite straightforward and yet the curved ball has been thrown to spoil the day. Amazing how such a little thing can cause so much hassle and frustration. Thought the solution would be relatively quick and easy, see 1 and 2 above, but, as is often the case with computer software, it appears that the answer can remain elusive.

Thanks.

Mike

Hello Mike

Try this...

Delete or Rename these 5 blue generated files and then launch Prepar3D and test,  Or delete them one by one and then test.  This will not effect your Add Ons

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D  Prepar3D.cfg  -  VehicleFavorites.xml  - UISettings.xml

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D   Prepar3D_Default.fxml - Prepar3D_Default.wx

---

Note: For other users reading this...

To find these files,  Insure the box is Ticked for  Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer Options

You could also try this step...

Navigate to the location below and Click and Move these 2 folders out of this location and pop them onto your Desktop.

Do Not Copy these folders, Ensure you Move them out of this location

PC ► Documents ► Prepar3D v4 files \ Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

After this step launch Prepar3D and test again

Hi Elaine,

Thank you!

I confess that I was hoping you would offer to help with this. It's turning out to be a real challenge but, with your able guidance, I'm quite prepared to battle on for as long as it takes to find a solution short of acquiescing to the dreaded complete fresh install.

I followed your initial suggestions but without any luck, I'm afraid.

Regenerated (Files and Folders):

Prepar3D.cfg...YES

UISettings.xml...YES

VehicleFavorites.xml...NO

Prepar3D v4 Add-ons...YES (empty as expected, although I noted that SODE was the sole entry when the Add-ons screen was accessed in Prepar3D)

Prepar3D v4 Files...YES
(containing Previous Flight.wx
and Previous Flight.fxml)

So far, I’m having great difficulty making much sense of this. Clearly Prepar3D can access the SimObjects folder as evidenced by the appearance of the F22 in the loaded Prepar3D Default Scenario. So why not the rest and why the non-appearance of the ‘Prepar3D  Default’ entry in the ‘Select Vehicle’ listings?

Best regards,

Mike

I have a similar problem. After I used Your advised steps, I still have just some of my bought planes been shown, and every other of my many planes will not been shown. They are still in my SimObject/Airplanes as in v4.3. I have updated only Client and Content. When starting P3D v4.4, I get the following Message: "Vehicle initialization has failed for: F-22 Raptor-525th Fighter Squadron. You will now be placed in vizualization-only mode". What now, Poppet, please help!

With regards

Odaber

Meantime, I have:

Restored:  Prepar3D v4 Add-ons and Prepar3D v4 Files folder content.

Restored the file: VehicleFavorites.xml

All 3rd Party content in the dll.xml (2) and exe.xml (2) files has been disabled.

Running with default:

Prepar3D.cfg, Scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg

+ freshly created Previous Flight.wx and Previous Flight.fxml files.

In the SimObjects folder:

Modules - 6 items 584KB, 6 Files, 0 Folders)
Rotorcraft - 6 items (1.90GB, 1,203 Files, 62 Folders)
Submersible - 2 items (8.04MB, 24 Files, 8 Folders)
Weapons - 34 items
Airplanes - 91 items (25.2GB, 14,125 Files, 1,131 Folders)
Animals - 5 items (1.12MB, 24 Files, 15 Folders)
Avatars - 14 items (340MB, 251 Files, 78 Folders)
Boats - 94 items (216MB, 461 Files, 284 Folders)
Countermeasures - 3 items
GroundVehicles - 143 items (948MB, 1,285 Files, 534 Folders)
Misc - 56 items (418MB, 457 Files, 201 Folders)

Add-ons enabled:

RealAir Legacy V2

RealAir Turbine Duke V2

All other Add-ons disabled

Content error reporting has been enabled:

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d7265875962727da866

I doubt whether this will provide any pertinent info, but I include it just in case.

As one would expect the sim now loads very quickly (great for testing purposes!):

6 secs to the Prepar3D Scenario screen and 4 secs to the fully loaded Prepar3D default scenario at Eglin AFB (KVPS).

Mike

I have nailed my problem to the New Client-part after many ways of settings and trials. Client for v4.4 simply won't load any default airplanes. Elaine, please help!

With regards

Update (3)

Hi Elaine,

Unfortunately the problem still remains uncracked.

This evening I came across another active thread on a similar topic here at The Prepar3D Forum. Simbol made the following helpful suggestions for another member and I'll deal with each in turn as applies to my setup:

1. He asked to see the simobjects.cfg file to examine the content. Here is mine:

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d7265875f6475b06b9c

All seems well there, I believe. The encoding appears to be correct, but I saved the file anyway from Notepad++

2. Directory security of the SimObjects and Airplanes match. I note that Authenticated Users and Users do not have Full control. Is this correct?

3. I checked the Privilege Level of Prepar3D.exe and it has been set during installation to 'Run as an Administrator'. I tried running without but it made no difference to the outcome: The Vehicle Selection screen still refuses to populate!

I feel there has to be a simple explanation, but what could it be? Baffling!

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I took a look to your simobjects.cfg and noticed the last entry is pointing to the 32bits programs entry of Windows ???

Mine as only nine entries, all only refering to genuine P3DV4 directories

[Entry.10]
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideal Flight Professional\SimObjects\Misc
TITLE=IF10SimObjects
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true

I suggest deleting it - and checking Ideal Flight support forum.

Hi,

I realise that to date I’ve been addressing my responses to the inimitable Elaine (Poppet), but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t welcome with open arms any insightful contributions from anyone else. 

It’s galling to be thinking that such a small issue could be threatening to force a major reinstallation but, right now, that’s the way it’s looking 🙁

I could try the LM forums, but past experience has left me feeling less than optimistic that I would receive a response. If nothing comes of it here then, of course, I will do so rather than be tempted to throw in the towel prematurely. After all, the sim remains fully functional in every other respect.  Just stuck meantime with flying the venerable F-22!

Perhaps I should spend some more time experimenting with folder permissions as, if set incorrectly, does seem to be the likeliest cause that could be preventing access of the sim to the SimObjects folder. However, if this theory is correct then why does the F-22 Load with the Prepar3D Default Scenario and why do other default aircraft load successfully with their associated Scenarios? If considered relevant then some expert guidance here as to the expected correct Prepar3D folder settings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

31 minutes ago, gaab said:

Hi Mike,

I took a look to your simobjects.cfg and noticed the last entry is pointing to the 32bits programs entry of Windows ???

[Entry.10]
TITLE=IF10SimObjects
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true

Hi gaab,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I tried doing exactly that last night and it made no difference. I’ve reinstated the entry meantime. I presume it was placed there by IFPro10, either during initial installation or during first run of the program.

Regards,

Mike

Hello Mike,

you could try disabling the individual entries in the simobjects.cfg (ACTIVE=FALSE,  REQUIRED=FALSE), just to make sure that it isn't a specific vehicle causing this.

You should be able to fully uninstalled 4.3 and install the complete 4.4. This usually doesn't do any harm to addons, except some ORBX, which have to be reinstalled. The P3D uninstaller only removes files it knows about = native P3D. All the others remain behind. But as some ORBX products overwrite files in the simulator core folders, those files are lost and have to be reinstalled. Unfortunately, if your issue is a config file or a simobject, even this procedure won't help.

Did you use any program lately that disables liveries or something like that? Did you check your aircraft.cfg / sim.cfg files?

If you need an external vehicle selector, I can make one for you (not that this is the correct solution of course).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

Hi Oliver,

I will try your suggestion re. the individual entries in SimObjects.cfg and see what happens. Thanks!

Ideal Flight Pro v 10.027ed10

Don't know why I didn't think of trying this before: I have just fired up IFPro and it seems to be seeing all my installed aircraft! This confirms the problem lies with the base Prepar3D installation and not the SimObjects folder. I imagine this also applies to the SimObjects.cfg file and content.

If I did end up having to perform a full uninstall/reinstall of Prepar3D v4.4 then what is the best way to perform the uninstallation?

E5D0tQ5.jpg

You see my dilemma. Should I use the Prepar3D v4 Academic (09/11/2017, v4.1.7.22841) entry and will it also uninstall the v4.4 versions of the Client/Content and Scenery?

Did you use any program lately that disables liveries or something like that? Did you check your aircraft.cfg / sim.cfg files? - No

If you need an external vehicle selector, I can make one for you - Wow!!That is indeed a very generous offer. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I will certainly keep it in mind.

Best regards,

Mike

Please Note:

Regarding the files ContenErrors.txt and SimObjects.cfg I received a PM from a member kindly advising me that my email address was being displayed on the download page. This came as a complete surprise as I've been using the FilesAnywhere facility for years and hadn't noted this potential problem. My fault, not FilesAnywhere which is a service I cannot fault and has always served me very well.

Anyway, here's another lnk to both files and this time it has been properly configured!

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d7265885a5e73b9a698

Mike

6 hours ago, gaab said:

Hi Mike,

[Entry.10]
TITLE=IF10SimObjects
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=true

Hi gaab,

Further to my last response I felt I should add a few words about IdealFlight Pro.

My understanding, from conversations with the author in the past, and based on first hand usage is as follows:

IdealFlight Pro is a bona fide Prepar3D program. Even though it is 32 bit (only uses around 64Mb and only around 32Mb when running Prepar3D), 64bit is not required as it is unnecessary. The entire point of IdealFlight Pro is to do nothing to the simulator nor to the system, and yet it can accomplish everything the simulator can execute. It can press all the buttons in the simulator providing the simulator is functioning correctly. I often use it as an extremely capable and comprehensive 'front-end' to Prepar3D and, as such, potentially it could negate any requirement to resolve the issue dominating this thread. However, resolving the problem remains my priority. I hate loose ends..lol!

The idea that you need a 64bit program to access a 64bit program is flawed. Ideal Flight Pro includes a sophisticated x64-x86 bridge, so this is most likely out of the question for regular developers and consequently they will choose to compile their application as 64bit.

From the Author: "The simulator adds the IdealFlight entry for the installer otherwise errors can creep into that file as it contains special characters. The entry describes the location of the 'IFProbe'." The author will need to be approached for clarification about that particular subject.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

Not sure what version you are using but in V4.4 Hardware Acceleration has been turned back on. I had a similar issue with one of the aftermarket post processing injectors.

Try turning it off as follows;

- Open regedit, e.g. via Windows Run (Windows + R)
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics
- Right click in right pane of regedit window (where column Name, Type, Data are)
- Click new DWORD (32-bits)
- Name this new value 'DisableHWAcceleration'
- Give it value 1 (double click on the newly created DWORD line)

Worst case is you just have to delete the new reg entry.

4 hours ago, zak01 said:

Not sure what version you are using but in V4.4 Hardware Acceleration has been turned back on. I had a similar issue with one of the aftermarket post processing injectors.

Try turning it off as follows;

- Open regedit, e.g. via Windows Run (Windows + R)
- Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics
- Right click in right pane of regedit window (where column Name, Type, Data are)
- Click new DWORD (32-bits)
- Name this new value 'DisableHWAcceleration'
- Give it value 1 (double click on the newly created DWORD line)

Worst case is you just have to delete the new reg entry.

With respect, am I missing something or has this post found it’s way into the wrong thread?

Mike

Hi Mike

Sorry, no. I was having a display problem in the vehicle select menu, not exactly the same as yours but similar. I was just thinking that for the sake of adding a registry key it may help. Probably not, but may be worth a try, if it doesn't work, just delete they key.

Okay, thanks Zak. Still a tad confused, however - at my age that can happen..lol

Shouldn’t hardware acceleration default to being enabled? Run Dxdiag.exe and you will see what I mean. Also, with hardware acceleration disabled I’m guessing Prepar3D may not recognise my GPU. It may be you are simply suggesting this as part of the troubleshooting process rather than with the intention of the change becoming permanent. I’ll certainly keep it in mind if all else fails.

Regards,

Mike