Cruachan

Strange Problem with Vehicle Selection...

21 hours ago, Cruachan said:

If you need an external vehicle selector, I can make one for you - Wow!!That is indeed a very generous offer. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I will certainly keep it in min

Hello Mike,

I did it anyway, it is just a small project. Send me a PM if you want to try it. You have to somehow load P3D so you are in the 3D world. Then you get a treelist of all simulator assets that have a "panel". When you doubleclick one of them, it is displayed in front of you in the sim. Then you have two options: either Shift&Ctrl&E to the Avatar, walk up to it and board it by pressing Shift&Ctrl&E again (standard P3D functionality) or you press a button on my tool. In both cases you will end up sitting in the selected model.

Best regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

22 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Should I use the Prepar3D v4 Academic (09/11/2017, v4.1.7.22841) entry and will it also uninstall the v4.4 versions of the Client/Content and Scenery?

Yes, that is the main module. It uninstalls the Client, Content and Scenery too. But if your problem is caused by an incompatible model or broken cfg file, it will remain.

It would be interesting to know if you can force an aircraft to appear - by adding "IsSelectableVehicle=True" to the [General] section of the aircraft.cfg...

Btw, did you (delete and let P3D) rebuild your prepar3d.cfg? There is a list in there which objects are user selectable too.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to report that some encouraging progress has been made! This has been quite frustrating for me as I have been very time limited this past few days. This coming at a time when I just wanted to crack on with the troubleshoot. Anyway, I squeezed in an hour this evening and you can all be the judge after I present the evidence.

First, my thanks to Oliver who seeded an idea earlier in this thread and to Steve for his very helpful suggestions via PM. Also, Simbol for one of his posts in another recent thread...

(https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/546290-p3d-v44-default-airplanes-will-not-load/

...that convinced me that pursuing a particular line of investigation was most likely to produce a positive outcome.

1. SimObjects (1):  [Entry.0] SimObjects\Airplanes (ACTIVE=false, REQUIRED=false). All other Entries = true
1Z65h9Y.jpg

2. Vehicle initialization has failed:  Message appeared during loading of Prepar3D signifying absence of the F-22 Raptor.
tCeCci4.jpg

3. Add-ons (1):  3 Add-ons enabled: A2A, RealAir Legacy and Turbine Duke
B2E4dRp.jpg

4. Select Vehicle (1):  Success!  Select Vehicle screen now populating without any entries from the Airplanes folder. A2A, RealAir Legacy and Turbine Duke Add-ons not visible in image, but confirmed present higher up the listing.
4uxn286.jpg

5. Airplanes (F22 and F16):  SimObjects\Airplanes folder copied and depopulated bar folders for F-22 Raptor and F16
z97Dd1F.jpg

6. SimObjects (2):  [Entry.0] SimObjects\Airplanes (ACTIVE=true, REQUIRED=true). All other Entries = false
TbIOa0Y.jpg

7. Select Vehicle (2): No 'Vehicle initialization has failed' message during loading of Prepar3D. F-22 and F16 entries along with A2A, RealAir Legacy and Turbine Duke listed correctly in Select Vehicle screen.
wBm3lYQ.jpg

So, this confirms that the problem aircraft must be in the SimObjects\airplanes folder.

Identifying the culprit/s should be relatively straightforward: Restore half the folder content of SimObjects\Airplanes and test. If fails then remove and restore remaining half of the folder content which should succeed. Then restore half the folder content that failed and test. If fails then remove and restore other half which should succeed.....and so on until the rogue a/c folders are identified. Should work, but will have to wait until tomorrow...time to turn in for the night.... 💤

Mike

Edit:

Oliver, I would love to check out your External Vehicle Selector project! it's very good of you to have gone to the trouble of creating this utility. You never know, it could come in handy. I'll be in touch.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Oliver, I would love to check out your External Vehicle Selector project! it's very good of you to have gone to the trouble of creating this utility. You never know, it could come in handy. I'll be in touch.

Hi Oliver,

I would also be VERY interested. I find the P3D vehicule selection screen so awkward 😞

Regards

Gérard