Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Help Please Difficult FSX Problem

Hello All:

I am struggling with the hardest problem I've ever had in 20+ years of simming. It involves add on sound handling. I am running FSX Gold, 4790k @ 4.5, 970 GTX, and Win 7 Pro 64. An add on that I am using runs .wav files via a DLL loaded in the FSX/Gauges, with .wavs stored in the FSX/Sound folder, and the DLL called under the add on FSX/SimObjects/Aircraft/add on. The DLL is found by FSX on initial load and presented in the dialogue box for approval, and I click "yes". So everything looks good to go. The problem is that the sounds are not running, or are somehow being lost so they are not heard in FSX. I have done a wide search on the web looking for ways to solve this and so far I haven't found the silver bullet.

My audio set up is the sound processing is on board the MOBO so I do not have a separate sound card. I have the 5 RealTek speakers run off the MOBO. Everything seems to be correctly set up but the sounds cannot be heard. I have other add ons with Dlls which execute ok.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this.

Thanks

Rick

Some specificity on which add-on and to which dll you are referring is probably needed...doubt anyone will be able to offer much help based on generic descriptions of the programs involved.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I agree with Bob.  You will have to specify the download you are using.  I'm usually good for at least one guess....... FDFSX panel for cockpit announcement??.

I have moved this topic into the FSX/FSX-SE forum since the question has nothing to do with your computer system.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 hours ago, charliearon said:

I agree with Bob.  You will have to specify the download you are using.  I'm usually good for at least one guess....... FDFSX panel for cockpit announcement??.

I have moved this topic into the FSX/FSX-SE forum since the question has nothing to do with your computer system.

Charlie:

I think you misunderstood the question. I am not asking for help with the add on. The add on works for other rigs similar to mine. It appears there is something not set up properly in my MOBO audio, speakers, or something related. That reasoning is what led me to post where I did. I was hoping a system wizard could help me.

Thanks

Rick

18 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

Charlie:

I think you misunderstood the question. I am not asking for help with the add on. The add on works for other rigs similar to mine. It appears there is something not set up properly in my MOBO audio, speakers, or something related. That reasoning is what led me to post where I did. I was hoping a system wizard could help me.

Thanks

Rick

You still have not even given specifics of your hardware or the drivers for your hardware.

The add-on information is still important, because it may have requirements that you may have overlooked. 

Anything at this point would be a wild guess. It may even be as simple as a Win 10 requirement for all we know.

Edited by pracines
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

Charlie:

Thanks

Rick

Sorry, I guess both Bob and I misunderstood.  My question now becomes...does FSX work normally and do you have the proper audio sounds from the Sim other than this addon?

I also agree that we need to know the addon to see what it requires beyond normal FSX operation.

One thing I might ask, since you said the .wav files are stored in the FSX/Sound folder, Did you keep those .wav files in their original folder or did you place the individual .wav files into the FSX/Sound folder?  Example of my Sound folder:

sound folder.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Well Bill and Charlie, I didn't explain this very well. I am reluctant to name the add on because the developer has been absolutely terrific in trying to help me with this problem. They went so far as to create a configuration close to mine to determine whether the problem could be duplicated. They could not duplicate it. As I described earlier, this add on plays .wav files using a DLL which resides in the FSX/Gauges folder, with .wav files in the FSX/Sounds folder. Pretty standard set up. FSX sees the DLL and 1st time through asked for "trusted" status, which I granted. The sounds overlay on top of FSX and should be heard. Except they cannot be heard with FSX active on my system. If I play the sounds with Win Player in a stand alone mode, they play fine, so the files seem to be ok. So I am thinking something in my rig is not lined up properly and there is no multiplexing, as it were. I have searched everywhere and it seems like sounds in FSX are kind of a black art and there are many thoughts on how it does work/should work. I keep thinking there is some box that needs to be checked or unchecked in the audio processing which will allow the add on sounds and FSX sounds to play nice together.

To answer your question, FSX runs fine and other FSX sounds and add ons work ok.

Here is my rig description:

Win 7 Pro 64

4790k oc'd to 4.6

nVidia 970 GTX (no audio processing here)

8 Gig memory

MOBO GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI ATX /On board audio

RealTek 5.1 speakers

Thanks

Rick

Edited by Wink207

26 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Sorry, I guess both Bob and I misunderstood.  My question now becomes...does FSX work normally and do you have the proper audio sounds from the Sim other than this addon?

I also agree that we need to know the addon to see what it requires beyond normal FSX operation.

One thing I might ask, since you said the .wav files are stored in the FSX/Sound folder, Did you keep those .wav files in their original folder or did you place the individual .wav files into the FSX/Sound folder?  Example of my Sound folder:

sound folder.JPG

The installer for the add on places the .wav files in a Sounds/Add on File such as you point to in the Sounds folder so the .wavs are not disbursed.

Strange that you won't name the addon.  Is it payware?  You said the "developer" is assisting you, so at this point, the ball is in his court.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

9 hours ago, charliearon said:

Strange that you won't name the addon.  Is it payware?  You said the "developer" is assisting you, so at this point, the ball is in his court.

Yes. Add on is payware. Yes they are helping me but they can't reproduce the problem. I just wouldn't feel right about naming them. But the reason I posted looking for help is that it appears the issue is unique to my rig. Sharp people post here and I have gotten help before on difficult issues on my rig. Maybe someone has seen something like this before. I read all the "help me please" posts here as well and if I can add something, I do.

Hello Rick,

Not saying I have an answer for your issue or even if I have (un)-said software, but support people often solve unknown issues by asking questions throughout the thread in order to nail down a potential solution. Please help them with important answers to help yourself.

Totally agree with Bob, Charlie and Paul, it is very difficult to jump in with a possible solution, if the software isn't identified. Perhaps the problem is elemental and another user might have some practical clues, but without additional info we are all just grasping in the dark.

If indeed the developers of the software have been very fourth coming and helpful, there should be no issue in providing the software name and its purpose within the sim, preserving their reputation in good standing (name the software in complimentary terms). Not only might there be a solution for you, but who knows if someone else may benefit from a elemental solution where something very simple may be at cause. 

Edited by Jethro

The only thing I remember about sound problems in FSX is Open Control Panel/Sound/Communications, Choose the "Do Nothing" option then Apply.  It's reading the ATC as a phone transmission.

Don't know if this applies to your situation?

Charlie Aron

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

The only thing I remember about sound problems in FSX is Open Control Panel/Sound/Communications, Choose the "Do Nothing" option then Apply.  It's reading the ATC as a phone transmission.

Don't know if this applies to your situation?

Thanks Charlie. Yes, I discovered that tidbit yesterday while researching this on the web. I made that change, as it wasn't on "do nothing", but alas, no change.

Thanks

Rick

Without giving away a "secret identity" can you, at least, describe the type of sound(s) you aren't hearing?  Cockpit sounds, engine sounds, cabin announcements, switch click sounds, copilot singing weird songs and saying his fanny is really getting tired??

Charlie Aron

Ha! It's cockpit sounds. This developer plays some sounds, including some cockpit sounds and engine sounds, through the FSX sound engine, such as it is. He also designed the add on to play other sounds, including some cockpit sounds, through Windows. That's the piece that I don't hear.