Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Help Please Difficult FSX Problem

If the .dll / .gau is based on Doug Dawson's, a possibility may be that your settings in windows | control panel | sound are not set correctly for the gauge.
It must be set so that the default sounds are set to speakers or your other primary sound transmitter. 
Occasionally I must redirect sounds to my headphones and forget to set it back for simming.
This results in sounds being transmitted thru the headphone jack. (headphones if connected)

Again if this gauge is Doug's or based on his gauge he does have a sound configurator for those with a sophisticated sound setup.
https://www.douglassdawson.ca/ --> dsd_sound_configuration.zip 

Edit - Flight sim enumerates the sound for itself and may be different compared to the gauge. Difficult to describe - think of it as 2 different sound producers each with their own separate settings.

• Like 1

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

16 minutes ago, spokes2112 said:

If the .dll / .gau is based on Doug Dawson's, a possibility may be that your settings in windows | control panel | sound are not set correctly for the gauge.
It must be set so that the default sounds are set to speakers or your other primary sound transmitter. 
Occasionally I must redirect sounds to my headphones and forget to set it back for simming.
This results in sounds being transmitted thru the headphone jack. (headphones if connected)

Again if this gauge is Doug's or based on his gauge he does have a sound configurator for those with a sophisticated sound setup.
https://www.douglassdawson.ca/ --> dsd_sound_configuration.zip 

Edit - Flight sim enumerates the sound for itself and may be different compared to the gauge. Hard to describe - think of it as 2 different sound producers.

It would seem that is the case here. There is the FSX stream of audio, then they seem to have created an alternative sound producer that is intended to play simultaneously through Windows. Either it is not working on my rig or there is some conflict. I checked out Doug Dawson's stuff but that programming detail is way above my pay grade 🙂

If you have not done so yet, just delete the sound driver - reboot  - and let Windows reinstall it.

Just now, pracines said:

If you have not done so yet, just delete the sound driver - reboot  - and let Windows reinstall it.

That would be the RealTek driver. I should have mentioned before my sound hardware is on board the MOBO. I would be terrified to delete a piece of the MOBO. Is that what you are suggesting?

34 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

That would be the RealTek driver. I should have mentioned before my sound hardware is on board the MOBO. I would be terrified to delete a piece of the MOBO. Is that what you are suggesting?

yes...this is what I would do when all else fails. My SB sound is on board my MOBO too.

You may also consider (if you have not recently) updating your video card drivers. For some strange reason this may affect this particular situation; just a thought in case it has not be considered already.  

Edited by pracines

3 minutes ago, pracines said:

yes...this is what I would do when all else fails. My SB sound is on board my MOBO too.

You may also consider (if you have not recently) updating your video card drivers, for some strange reason, this may affect this particular situation, just a thought in case it has not be considered already.  

Video driver is new within the last couple months. What I did just now was to open the sound card box in Windows. I could see my RealTech speakers as default, then I chose the TV (monitor is 43"4k Vizio) speakers for "Playback". I lined that up and tested it so I could hear the test chime on the TV speakers. Now if I could figure out how to get these missing sounds to go to the TV!

42 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

It would seem that is the case here. There is the FSX stream of audio, then they seem to have created an alternative sound producer that is intended to play simultaneously through Windows. Either it is not working on my rig or there is some conflict. I checked out Doug Dawson's stuff but that programming detail is way above my pay grade 🙂

The configuration utility is straightforward to use.  Just run it and select the sound devices you want to use.

It will tell you where it has written the configuration information you have chosen.  Make a note of it, and if you don't like the results, you can delete the configuration file.

Doug

1 hour ago, Wink207 said:

Ha! It's cockpit sounds. This developer plays some sounds, including some cockpit sounds and engine sounds, through the FSX sound engine, such as it is. He also designed the add on to play other sounds, including some cockpit sounds, through Windows. That's the piece that I don't hear.

It might be a CODEC missing.

Are you able to play the .wav files OUSIDE of the sim - in Media Player for instance?

5 minutes ago, ganter said:

It might be a CODEC missing.

Are you able to play the .wav files OUSIDE of the sim - in Media Player for instance?

Yes. They all play fine and with good volume in Media Player

13 minutes ago, ddawson said:

The configuration utility is straightforward to use.  Just run it and select the sound devices you want to use.

It will tell you where it has written the configuration information you have chosen.  Make a note of it, and if you don't like the results, you can delete the configuration file.

Doug

Yes. Sorry I didn't see that download on the first pass. I'll take a good look at this

Thanks

Try running FS in windowed mode.  If the gauge is not finding the sound files, you will get a message box telling you so.  If you're running full screen, the gauge won't be able to create the message box.

2 hours ago, ddawson said:

Try running FS in windowed mode.  If the gauge is not finding the sound files, you will get a message box telling you so.  If you're running full screen, the gauge won't be able to create the message box.

Yes I tried this. Windows mode, click some switches. No sound, but no message box.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:36 PM, ddawson said:

Doug

Hi Doug
That is a slick little tool you have for the sounds. And it is pretty easy to use as you said. So I tried various combinations of my RealTek speakers and the speakers in my 4k TV to play FSX sounds and Win sounds. Unfortunately, I still cannot get the sounds from this add on to play. It seems they have created a sound generator which is intended to play certain sounds through Windows and not FSX. But it just won't work for me. Using your tool I was able to dedicate FSX to my 4k, although not entirely as some FSX sounds seem to leak out and play through my speakers as well. However even with FSX directed to the 4K speakers, these elusive add on sounds just refuse to play under Windows. Easily the most perplexing issue I have ever seen in 20 years of simming.

Thanks and best regards,

Rick

Hi Doug
That is a slick little tool you have for the sounds. And it is pretty easy to use as you said. So I tried various combinations of my RealTek speakers and the speakers in my 4k TV to play FSX sounds and Win sounds. Unfortunately, I still cannot get the sounds from this add on to play. It seems they have created a sound generator which is intended to play certain sounds through Windows and not FSX. But it just won't work for me. Using your tool I was able to dedicate FSX to my 4k, although not entirely as some FSX sounds seem to leak out and play through my speakers as well. However even with FSX directed to the 4K speakers, these elusive add on sounds just refuse to play under Windows. Easily the most perplexing issue I have ever seen in 20 years of simming.

Thanks and best regards,

Rick

Just to clarify...  The configuration utility only affects gauges using my wrapper for DirectSound.  It won't change where FS's own sounds are being played.  The gauge does work directly with DirectSound, so unless configured otherwise, will play to the default Windows sound and voice devices, even if you have chosen other sound devices for FSX itself.

Doug

Edited by ddawson

Hi Doug

Thanks and best regards,

Rick

An interesting problem.

My summation of the thread so far would be that FSX cannot see the problem audio files. If it could it would play them.

Did you get folder hierarchy correct on instal?

If you were presented with addon admin allow screens on FSX startup - did you make sure you said okay to ALL of them?

...etc,