Wink207

Help Please Difficult FSX Problem

Try running FS in windowed mode.  If the gauge is not finding the sound files, you will get a message box telling you so.  If you're running full screen, the gauge won't be able to create the message box.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

2 hours ago, ddawson said:

Try running FS in windowed mode.  If the gauge is not finding the sound files, you will get a message box telling you so.  If you're running full screen, the gauge won't be able to create the message box.

Yes I tried this. Windows mode, click some switches. No sound, but no message box.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:36 PM, ddawson said:

The configuration utility is straightforward to use.  Just run it and select the sound devices you want to use.

It will tell you where it has written the configuration information you have chosen.  Make a note of it, and if you don't like the results, you can delete the configuration file.

Doug

Hi Doug
That is a slick little tool you have for the sounds. And it is pretty easy to use as you said. So I tried various combinations of my RealTek speakers and the speakers in my 4k TV to play FSX sounds and Win sounds. Unfortunately, I still cannot get the sounds from this add on to play. It seems they have created a sound generator which is intended to play certain sounds through Windows and not FSX. But it just won't work for me. Using your tool I was able to dedicate FSX to my 4k, although not entirely as some FSX sounds seem to leak out and play through my speakers as well. However even with FSX directed to the 4K speakers, these elusive add on sounds just refuse to play under Windows. Easily the most perplexing issue I have ever seen in 20 years of simming.

Thanks and best regards,

Rick

1 hour ago, Wink207 said:

Hi Doug
That is a slick little tool you have for the sounds. And it is pretty easy to use as you said. So I tried various combinations of my RealTek speakers and the speakers in my 4k TV to play FSX sounds and Win sounds. Unfortunately, I still cannot get the sounds from this add on to play. It seems they have created a sound generator which is intended to play certain sounds through Windows and not FSX. But it just won't work for me. Using your tool I was able to dedicate FSX to my 4k, although not entirely as some FSX sounds seem to leak out and play through my speakers as well. However even with FSX directed to the 4K speakers, these elusive add on sounds just refuse to play under Windows. Easily the most perplexing issue I have ever seen in 20 years of simming.

Thanks and best regards,

Rick

Just to clarify...  The configuration utility only affects gauges using my wrapper for DirectSound.  It won't change where FS's own sounds are being played.  The gauge does work directly with DirectSound, so unless configured otherwise, will play to the default Windows sound and voice devices, even if you have chosen other sound devices for FSX itself.

Doug

Edited by ddawson

1 hour ago, Wink207 said:

Hi Doug

Thanks and best regards,

Rick

An interesting problem.

My summation of the thread so far would be that FSX cannot see the problem audio files. If it could it would play them.

Did you get folder hierarchy correct on instal?

If you were presented with addon admin allow screens on FSX startup - did you make sure you said okay to ALL of them?

...etc,