Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Can I use HTC VIVE Pro for P3D without controllers?

I'm tempted to move closer to VR in the new P3D, I found HTC VIVE Pro in a local store but with no controllers nor position sensors (they call them stations I think), any way, the store guy told me if I want to use Pro I have to buy the first generation VIVE so I can use its full package with the Pro version, do I need controllers and location stations for P3D V4.4?

isn't the head mounted thing enough for P3D in combination with my normal controllers joystick/thrust levers including mouse?

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Nope. Your head position cannot be tracked without the other equipment, so essentially the HMD alone is useless.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've been down this road.  Sales guy at Best buy told me the Vive Pro headset alone would be fine for flight sim if I didn't want to use the controllers. So I bought it. Once I open it, I could not return it (unless it was defective). Good thing I did some research on the internet before I opened it,  and found that you need the lightboxes for the headset to track. This is not included with the Vive Pro headset only.

I returned it and bought the complete Vive Pro kit. Very expensive ($1900 Canadian). The kit comes with the generation 2 lightboxes and 2 controllers.  Apparently, the original light boxes and controllers. ver 1. will work with the Vive Pro.  It might be cheaper to by the original Vive kit and then just buy the Vive Pro headset. 

Although expensive, I don't regret it. Its very immersive. The feeling of actually sitting in the cockpit is very cool. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

thank you very much gentlemen for your valuable input. full kit it is then.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.