Mikelab6

Wow ! ORBX Scenery never looked so good (P3Dv4.4)

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Posted this on ORBX forum and I think it would be valuable for others here at AVSIM:

 

I am speachless !  Upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to 4.4 (Client & Content only) and I can say my ORBX scenery never looked so good.  Thanks god ! Photo Scenery Textures are now sharps and crisps around the aircraft but also in the distance and don't loads while flying over them like it was in the past.  See by yourself (PAVD)!

 

jCpgh2o.jpg

 

zASrKlJ.jpg

 

I am now a very happy flyer !

 

Mike

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Looks great. I have a feeling that more people are going to fiddling around with the P3d mod for Ortho4XP:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wow Mike!

That looks really nice!

Thank you for Sharing

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi all,

 

Posted this on ORBX forum and I think it would be valuable for others here at AVSIM:

 

I am speachless !  Upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to 4.4 (Client & Content only) and I can say my ORBX scenery never looked so good.  Thanks god ! Photo Scenery Textures are now sharps and crisps around the aircraft but also in the distance and don't loads while flying over them like it was in the past.  See by yourself (PAVD)!

 

jCpgh2o.jpg

 

zASrKlJ.jpg

 

I am now a very happy flyer !

 

Mike

I know Mike. Hee hee, that was the first place I visited after installing the upgrade! BTW, is this with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak?

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi all,

 

Posted this on ORBX forum and I think it would be valuable for others here at AVSIM:

 

I am speachless !  Upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to 4.4 (Client & Content only) and I can say my ORBX scenery never looked so good.  Thanks god ! Photo Scenery Textures are now sharps and crisps around the aircraft but also in the distance and don't loads while flying over them like it was in the past.  See by yourself (PAVD)!

 

jCpgh2o.jpg

 

zASrKlJ.jpg

 

I am now a very happy flyer !

 

Mike

Looks great Mike! I'm almost done installing all my ORBX add-ons and can't wait to see how KSEZ, KTEX, and PAVD look on my system. They were a blurry mess in v 4.3. Can you just share your scenery settings please?

Share this post


Link to post

This is interesting.

I also have done the upgrade, and I also have ortho for XP and have been flying in that environment for quite awhile now.

So I went to Valdez and KSAN to see for myself, and perhaps my memory has failed me but those areas always looked great, and still do. What I don't know is, was the scenery in the far distance always as sharp, I'm thinking not and the autogen is all there, not popping into the scenery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

This is interesting.

I also have done the upgrade, and I also have ortho for XP and have been flying in that environment for quite awhile now.

So I went to Valdez and KSAN to see for myself, and perhaps my memory has failed me but those areas always looked great, and still do. What I don't know is, was the scenery in the far distance always as sharp, I'm thinking not and the autogen is all there, not popping into the scenery.

 

Most of my photo scenery areas, including KJAC & NZQN, were always blurry on my system in the distance in previous versions of P3D. That was an ongoing complaint until 4.4 was released. Finally, we have better looking photo sceneries.

For me it's one of the exciting new fixes that was added to v4.4.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

... is this with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak?

Nope. No tweaks...   Hey Rockliffe, I read your post about your P3D4.4 results, and was exited to try v4.4 because I had the same behavior in 4.3 as your (blurry PR)

Edit: Only 1 tweak: [MAIN]  FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

Mike

Edited by Mikelab6
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, DJJose said:

…. Can you just share your scenery settings please?

sWyZjm8.jpg

8WNc2TN.jpg

XfSQadZ.jpg

XpmhLzz.jpg

lZxGfOa.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Mikelab6
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Mike.

Thant's what I assumed. LOD has to be on MAX & high res textures must be ticked. It slows down loading times, but photo sceneries look sharp.

Jose

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Nope. No tweaks...   Hey Rockliffe, I read your post about your P3D4.4 results, and was exited to try v4.4 because I had the same behavior in 4.3 as your (blurry PR)

Edit: Only 1 tweak: [MAIN]  FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

Mike

Yup, same as me Mike. FFTF=0.1 although I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight. Your slider settings are almost the same as mine too. Although I run with 4xSSAA 😊

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, DJJose said:

LOD has to be on MAX & high res textures must be ticked. It slows down loading times, but photo sceneries look sharp.

I've missed the sharp photo scenery I used to have with FSX, but didn't miss the extended loading time.  Le sigh 🙂  There's no such thing as a free lunch!

16 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Yup, same as me Mike. FFTF=0.1 although I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight.

Indeed Howard.  I'm not sure the VERY long load times are worth the bit of extra pop that "=10" gets you.  Among other things, I guess I'm going to have to get disciplined about disabling non-used photo scenery like I used to in FSX.

Still - no complaints.  I'll gladly take the extended load times to get back what photo used to look like.

Scott

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Installed the client only v4.4, works great and just a few very minor issues that had to be dealt with, primarily airport elevation corrections for ORBX vector, which is quick and easy to accomplish in FTX central.

Like the OP I'm getting great scenery performance in v4.4 with ORBX, I have the full FTX Global range including FTX gobal textures, North America, South America, and Europe landclass, Vextor, and HD trees.

I have my graphics sliders all either maxed out, or very nearly so, and I'm getting a rock solid high 50's to low 60's fps even in some of the most demanding scenery environments, and everything is super smooth, no pausing or stuttering etc. I do have some pretty potent hardware, which helps i'm sure... i7 8700k @ 4.7 ghz turbo (not OC'd), GeForce 1080Ti gaming card with 11 gb of DDR5, 16 gb of 2666 ram, and I run P3D from a 1tb M2 SSD.

Here are some screenies... First one is the Italian Alps just north of Torino, next is above the city of Sedona Arizona and the scenic hills and cliffs nearby, next is the Grand Canyon AZ (golly, what a gully..lol) and last but not least Sydney harbor with the famed opera house in the background.

BTW, just so we are clear here... This is stock ORBX scenery, not any photoreal stuff.

https://imgur.com/5CBrfYW

https://imgur.com/xITJ4GO

https://imgur.com/WJlmVTf

https://imgur.com/H29OgN3

 

Edited by SunDevil56

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, Rockliffe said:

... I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight. Your slider settings are almost the same as mine too. Although I run with 4xSSAA 😊

How much VRAM you are running at with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 ?

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

How much VRAM you are running at with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 ?

Mike

Never checked Mike! Never seen it as a problem as I have 11Gb memory in my 1080ti and 16Gb RAM. Why not check it on your system. I'll check later today. 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

How much VRAM you are running at with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 ?

Mike

In my case the VRAM usage is between 7.9-8.2 GB.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/2/2018 at 5:25 PM, Rockliffe said:

.... I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight. Your slider settings are almost the same as mine too. Although I run with 4xSSAA 😊

I tried this TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak but I honestly couldn't see where it made much of a difference in the sharpness of my scenery, which was already good, and it increased load times significantly so I decided not to continue using it. I switched from 8xMSAA to 4xSSAA and that seems to provide slightly sharper visuals without any noticeable performance penalty.

Share this post


Link to post

Once 4.4 has installed do we need to reinstall Orbx scenery or does it all work off the bat?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, slip-stream said:

Once 4.4 has installed do we need to reinstall Orbx scenery or does it all work off the bat?

If you do the client only update your installed ORBX sceneries should all be there and work normally. at least they did for me, I didn't need to reinstall any of them.

One thing though... If you have ORBX vector installed you may have re-do some airport elevation corrections in FTX central.

In my case this has mostly affected some freeware add on airports and is a quick and simple fix. If you have Vector and you load up an airport and you have sunken terrain it will need to be corrected in FTX Central settings under "configure FTX Global vector". Shut down the sim first, then run the airport elevation correction in FTX central and click "apply" then close FTX central and re-start P3D and your sunken airport terrain should be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SunDevil56 said:

I tried this TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak but I honestly couldn't see where it made much of a difference in the sharpness of my scenery, which was already good, and it increased load times significantly so I decided not to continue using it. I switched from 8xMSAA to 4xSSAA and that seems to provide slightly sharper visuals without any noticeable performance penalty.

You're probably right. I am a bit of an OCD person, but I can see a tad difference in quality. You're right about the AA, if you can run 4SSAA then there is a definite improvement with jaggies over other settings.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you Sundevil56. Appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/2/2018 at 1:00 PM, Mikelab6 said:

Hi all,

 

Posted this on ORBX forum and I think it would be valuable for others here at AVSIM:

 

I am speachless !  Upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to 4.4 (Client & Content only) and I can say my ORBX scenery never looked so good.  Thanks god ! Photo Scenery Textures are now sharps and crisps around the aircraft but also in the distance and don't loads while flying over them like it was in the past.  See by yourself (PAVD)!

 

jCpgh2o.jpg

 

zASrKlJ.jpg

 

I am now a very happy flyer !

 

Mike

According to John Venema (ORBX) developer. The effect is "placebo." . . .Lol.

Enjoy the placebo effect! :D

"PBR has to be developed for specifically for textures used in projects and we do not intend to go back and re-do textures for 140+ airports. However we will be looking at adding PBR to new airport titles or any V2 remakes, and then only at the discretion of the airport developer.

If PBR becomes a deciding factor for customers in deciding to buy an airport or not, then I am sure it will convince developers to learn how to implement it.

IMHO PBR is far more compelling when used on materials inside a cockpit, rather than making surfaces of an airport terminal or rain puddles look realistic."---John Venema

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163938-orbx-and-pbr/

  •  

Share this post


Link to post

Those screenshots are excellent, Mike.  I am tempted even more to hop on the PR train now that P3Dv4.4 is out.  Thanks for posting.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Ezra said:

According to John Venema (ORBX) developer. The effect is "placebo." . . .Lol.

Enjoy the placebo effect! :D

Well to some extent that is a true statement, as much of what can be accomplished with PBR textures can also be done with "traditional" textures. In the long run, any developer that doesn't convert is just making more work for themselves, though.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ezra said:

According to John Venema (ORBX) developer. The effect is "placebo." . . .Lol.

JV was responding to a thread about Orbx and PBR (which is not used in any Orbx product) so he was right about that.  However, there's no question that regions and airports which incorporate large amounts of photo scenery are much improved in 4.4, just as all photoscenery is.  What was blurry before is now crisp and clear.  The OP in that thread assumed it was PBR which was responsible, and of course it is not.

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now