Sign in to follow this  
Mikelab6

Wow ! ORBX Scenery never looked so good (P3Dv4.4)

Hi all,

Posted this on ORBX forum and I think it would be valuable for others here at AVSIM:

I am speachless !  Upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to 4.4 (Client & Content only) and I can say my ORBX scenery never looked so good.  Thanks god ! Photo Scenery Textures are now sharps and crisps around the aircraft but also in the distance and don't loads while flying over them like it was in the past.  See by yourself (PAVD)!

jCpgh2o.jpg

zASrKlJ.jpg

I am now a very happy flyer !

Mike

• Like 6

Looks great. I have a feeling that more people are going to fiddling around with the P3d mod for Ortho4XP:

• Like 3

Wow Mike!

That looks really nice!

Thank you for Sharing

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

11 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi all,

Posted this on ORBX forum and I think it would be valuable for others here at AVSIM:

I am speachless !  Upgraded from P3Dv4.3 to 4.4 (Client & Content only) and I can say my ORBX scenery never looked so good.  Thanks god ! Photo Scenery Textures are now sharps and crisps around the aircraft but also in the distance and don't loads while flying over them like it was in the past.  See by yourself (PAVD)!

jCpgh2o.jpg

zASrKlJ.jpg

Mike

I know Mike. Hee hee, that was the first place I visited after installing the upgrade! BTW, is this with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

12 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi all,

jCpgh2o.jpg

zASrKlJ.jpg

Mike

Looks great Mike! I'm almost done installing all my ORBX add-ons and can't wait to see how KSEZ, KTEX, and PAVD look on my system. They were a blurry mess in v 4.3. Can you just share your scenery settings please?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

This is interesting.

I also have done the upgrade, and I also have ortho for XP and have been flying in that environment for quite awhile now.

So I went to Valdez and KSAN to see for myself, and perhaps my memory has failed me but those areas always looked great, and still do. What I don't know is, was the scenery in the far distance always as sharp, I'm thinking not and the autogen is all there, not popping into the scenery.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

6 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

This is interesting.

I also have done the upgrade, and I also have ortho for XP and have been flying in that environment for quite awhile now.

So I went to Valdez and KSAN to see for myself, and perhaps my memory has failed me but those areas always looked great, and still do. What I don't know is, was the scenery in the far distance always as sharp, I'm thinking not and the autogen is all there, not popping into the scenery.

Most of my photo scenery areas, including KJAC & NZQN, were always blurry on my system in the distance in previous versions of P3D. That was an ongoing complaint until 4.4 was released. Finally, we have better looking photo sceneries.

For me it's one of the exciting new fixes that was added to v4.4.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

... is this with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 tweak?

Nope. No tweaks...   Hey Rockliffe, I read your post about your P3D4.4 results, and was exited to try v4.4 because I had the same behavior in 4.3 as your (blurry PR)

Edit: Only 1 tweak: [MAIN]  FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

Mike

Edited by Mikelab6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DJJose said:

…. Can you just share your scenery settings please?

sWyZjm8.jpg

8WNc2TN.jpg

XfSQadZ.jpg

XpmhLzz.jpg

lZxGfOa.jpg

Edited by Mikelab6
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike.

Thant's what I assumed. LOD has to be on MAX & high res textures must be ticked. It slows down loading times, but photo sceneries look sharp.

Jose

41 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Nope. No tweaks...   Hey Rockliffe, I read your post about your P3D4.4 results, and was exited to try v4.4 because I had the same behavior in 4.3 as your (blurry PR)

Edit: Only 1 tweak: [MAIN]  FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1

Mike

Yup, same as me Mike. FFTF=0.1 although I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight. Your slider settings are almost the same as mine too. Although I run with 4xSSAA 😊

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

16 hours ago, DJJose said:

LOD has to be on MAX & high res textures must be ticked. It slows down loading times, but photo sceneries look sharp.

I've missed the sharp photo scenery I used to have with FSX, but didn't miss the extended loading time.  Le sigh 🙂  There's no such thing as a free lunch!

16 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Yup, same as me Mike. FFTF=0.1 although I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight.

Indeed Howard.  I'm not sure the VERY long load times are worth the bit of extra pop that "=10" gets you.  Among other things, I guess I'm going to have to get disciplined about disabling non-used photo scenery like I used to in FSX.

Still - no complaints.  I'll gladly take the extended load times to get back what photo used to look like.

Scott

• Like 1

Installed the client only v4.4, works great and just a few very minor issues that had to be dealt with, primarily airport elevation corrections for ORBX vector, which is quick and easy to accomplish in FTX central.

Like the OP I'm getting great scenery performance in v4.4 with ORBX, I have the full FTX Global range including FTX gobal textures, North America, South America, and Europe landclass, Vextor, and HD trees.

I have my graphics sliders all either maxed out, or very nearly so, and I'm getting a rock solid high 50's to low 60's fps even in some of the most demanding scenery environments, and everything is super smooth, no pausing or stuttering etc. I do have some pretty potent hardware, which helps i'm sure... i7 8700k @ 4.7 ghz turbo (not OC'd), GeForce 1080Ti gaming card with 11 gb of DDR5, 16 gb of 2666 ram, and I run P3D from a 1tb M2 SSD.

Here are some screenies... First one is the Italian Alps just north of Torino, next is above the city of Sedona Arizona and the scenic hills and cliffs nearby, next is the Grand Canyon AZ (golly, what a gully..lol) and last but not least Sydney harbor with the famed opera house in the background.

BTW, just so we are clear here... This is stock ORBX scenery, not any photoreal stuff.

https://imgur.com/5CBrfYW

https://imgur.com/xITJ4GO

https://imgur.com/WJlmVTf

https://imgur.com/H29OgN3

Edited by SunDevil56

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, Rockliffe said:

... I am running with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 at the moment, but unsure whether I'll keep it, as it takes forever to load a flight. Your slider settings are almost the same as mine too. Although I run with 4xSSAA 😊

How much VRAM you are running at with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 ?

Mike

6 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

How much VRAM you are running at with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 ?

Mike

Never checked Mike! Never seen it as a problem as I have 11Gb memory in my 1080ti and 16Gb RAM. Why not check it on your system. I'll check later today. 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard