Sign in to follow this  
Mikelab6

Wow ! ORBX Scenery never looked so good (P3Dv4.4)

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

One would need some shots with P3Dv4.4 coupled with ASP4 and ASCA to experience some haze/realistic settings. Not sure if the latter is updated for P3Dv4.4 yet.

Ezra - ASP4 Beta Build 6906 was released immediately after v4.4, and ASCA works perfectly.

Edited by dmiannay

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Interesting that someone thinks to much detail and resolution is a bad thing.  Doug is correct to point out that a good wx engine is important in creating a realistic view, but anyone that has flown over West Texas on a clear winter day understands just how clear and far one can see.  Depends on the weather, so it's nice to have detailed scenery when flying on those CAVU days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

25 minutes ago, downscc said:

Interesting that someone thinks to much detail and resolution is a bad thing.  Doug is correct to point out that a good wx engine is important in creating a realistic view, but anyone that has flown over West Texas on a clear winter day understands just how clear and far one can see.  Depends on the weather, so it's nice to have detailed scenery when flying on those CAVU days.

Good point Dan.  The visibilty at Anchorage on some days has to be seen to be believed and 90nms given over the R/T is not unheard of.  In Europe and the UK you are lucky if it is more than 9kms or CAVOK!

3 hours ago, Ezra said:

Mace wrote,

"I too would like to see these shots with some haze / realistic visibility settings.  That would make the circle complete, I think."

One would need some shots with P3Dv4.4 coupled with ASP4 and ASCA to experience some haze/realistic settings. Not sure if the latter is updated for P3Dv4.4 yet.

I'm not sure about how to post pictures here but below is a picture I took looking NW. The Colorado River is about 30 miles from Kingman. P3D v4.4, Active Sky and Megascenery Earth.

From Kingman AZ to Colorado River/Lake Meade

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I flew into PAVD yesterday with real weather from Active Sky and it was so foggy and hazy that I didn't see these great mountains.  Will try again, maybe without weather.  Pics look so spectacular!

Stan

2 hours ago, downscc said:

CAVU

I never would have known what CAVU meant until I heard friends of G.H.W Bush on tv mentioned it was a favorite term of his.
CAVU= Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited.

"I'm not sure about how to post pictures here but below is a picture I took looking NW. The Colorado River is about 30 miles from Kingman. P3D v4.4, Active Sky and Megascenery Earth."---pgde

From Kingman AZ to Colorado River/Lake Meade

Jeesh. You can see the curvature of the earth!

Edited by Ezra

10 hours ago, downscc said:

I actually prefer no clouds. I drop vis to between 10 and 20 nm and that is was looks realistic to me. It also means I can crank up the scenery textures. 

Keith Sandford.

19 hours ago, Ezra said:

According to John Venema (ORBX) developer. The effect is "placebo." . . .Lol.

Enjoy the placebo effect! :D

"PBR has to be developed for specifically for textures used in projects and we do not intend to go back and re-do textures for 140+ airports. However we will be looking at adding PBR to new airport titles or any V2 remakes, and then only at the discretion of the airport developer.

If PBR becomes a deciding factor for customers in deciding to buy an airport or not, then I am sure it will convince developers to learn how to implement it.

IMHO PBR is far more compelling when used on materials inside a cockpit, rather than making surfaces of an airport terminal or rain puddles look realistic."---John Venema

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/163938-orbx-and-pbr/

•  

He is wrong. The photoscenery rendering which is used in some Orbx scenery, like the mountains at Valdez, have been tweaked. The PBR is not relevant here.

17 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

I’m buckng the trend here and will say that Orbx scenery looks terrible (nothing to do with the OP’s setup). 

Overly sharp, and plastic looking. Which FSX and unfortunately P3D photoscenery scenery often looks like. You’d think though LM could improve it. Instead it looks like it’s far worse. 

Luckily the real word has glare, haze and a blurry distance to add to the ‘realism’ of living in the...well....real world. 

These sceneries, and the future generation of wanting unrealistic, ultra sharp and ‘autogen to the moon’ visuals is killing the flight simulation experience. 

This is why you should use Active Sky and reduce visibility to 90 in the air and 35 on the ground.

This will remove the overly sharp textures.

I’m not sure if active sky would be beneficial to VR users such as Oculus?

Keith Sandford.