Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Pauses Finally Cured?

I think there are very few simmers around here who don't experience occasional pauses in P3d to some extent or other, including myself. The pauses seem to have got worse for me. Initially they would happen occasionally. sometimes only for maybe a second, but more recently they have become more commonplace and occasionally last for about five seconds...not good. I'm sure many can associate with this experience. Anyway, after reading some posts on Avsim and reading a recent one from Rob Ainscough regarding switching off sceneries, I thought I would do a fairly long test flight in the NGX. So I am not going to suggest this is a cure for everyone, I am just posting my personal findings after having done a few changes. The following flight from Pula to Barcelona, which I think is about 450 miles, took place today with V4.4 and Active Sky. I didn't experience a single pause. THAT'S NOT TO SAY I WON'T TOMORROW, I JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE TODAY.

I7-6700@4.3, 16Gb/3200Mhz RAM, GTX1080Ti, Win10 on 125gb SSD, P3d 650Gb SSD, 4K 43" monitor

Aircraft: NGX

Addons: Active Sky, REX Texture Direct, Orbx Vector (most things off except major roads), Orbx Global, Aerosoft LEBL, Orbx LDPL

Only cfg tweak: FTF= 0.01
High resolution settings in P3D but no 
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 in cfg. for this test

4xSSAA

ALL ORBX REGIONS AND NA LC SWITCHED OFF.

FRAMES LOCKED INSIDE P3D TO 30 WITH VSYNC ON. No Nvidia Inspector.

So I hope this is of some help to others and to see if the cure is with these settings. 

Cheers,
Howard.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Interesting Howard, please keep us posted if the cure remains

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

If you have FSUIPC installed make sure you don't have "autosave" enabled. It will cause a pause while it enters the save.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

10 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

If you have FSUIPC installed make sure you don't have "autosave" enabled. It will cause a pause while it enters the save.

You made me go and check. :dry:  Unfortunately Autosave is already disabled. Have been for years now that I think of it. :smile:

Good effort though.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 minute ago, Ron Attwood said:

You made me go and check. :dry:  Unfortunately Autosave is already disabled. Have been for years now that I think of it.

Same here!!

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Someone else suggested that these pauses might be related to Orbx.

I have had some really bad pauses and once when using the Majestic Dash8, it caused me to go bouncing down the runway. During the pause I could hear " 50...30...20...Long Landing, Long Landing..." then it unpaused and I was nose down and completely out of control.

Next time I fly the Dash8, maybe I'll turn off Orbx and see if that helps.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Vineguy said:

Sadly, this has been regularly considered as a possibility, but extensive reporting has suggested otherwise, hence posting my findings 😊

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

10 hours ago, Vineguy said:

These long pauses appear to be different to autosave.  I know on my own system the pauses were repeatable in exactly the same location regardless of any interval times of a possible save.  I could get a pause or up to 8 seconds, slew backwards a couple of miles then fly forwards again and get another pause in exactly the same spot

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

10 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I think there are very few simmers around here who don't experience occasional pauses in P3d to some extent or other, including myself. The pauses seem to have got worse for me. Initially they would happen occasionally. sometimes only for maybe a second, but more recently they have become more commonplace and occasionally last for about five seconds...not good. I'm sure many can associate with this experience. Anyway, after reading some posts on Avsim and reading a recent one from Rob Ainscough regarding switching off sceneries, I thought I would do a fairly long test flight in the NGX. So I am not going to suggest this is a cure for everyone, I am just posting my personal findings after having done a few changes. The following flight from Pula to Barcelona, which I think is about 450 miles, took place today with V4.4 and Active Sky. I didn't experience a single pause. THAT'S NOT TO SAY I WON'T TOMORROW, I JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE TODAY.

I7-6700@4.3, 16Gb/3200Mhz RAM, GTX1080Ti, Win10 on 125gb SSD, P3d 650Gb SSD, 4K 43" monitor

Aircraft: NGX

Addons: Active Sky, REX Texture Direct, Orbx Vector (most things off except major roads), Orbx Global, Aerosoft LEBL, Orbx LDPL

Only cfg tweak: FTF= 0.01
High resolution settings in P3D but no 
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 in cfg. for this test

4xSSAA

ALL ORBX REGIONS AND NA LC SWITCHED OFF.

FRAMES LOCKED INSIDE P3D TO 30 WITH VSYNC ON. No Nvidia Inspector.

So I hope this is of some help to others and to see if the cure is with these settings. 

Cheers,
Howard.

Howard,

I commented on the other Long Pause post this morning as the pauses Im experiencing in 4.4 appear worse than in 4.3.  Had in the past managed them by switching off all US and OZ Orbx regions using a config tool if flying in UK or Europe and it had reduced pauses to a stutter at known locations but sadly they are now 1 second pauses.  I dont want to have to switch even more off because I may fly between regions.  I assume with your flight you are not flying over ORBX regions hence disabling them? 

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Howard,

I commented on the other Long Pause post this morning as the pauses Im experiencing in 4.4 appear worse than in 4.3.  Had in the past managed them by switching off all US and OZ Orbx regions using a config tool if flying in UK or Europe and it had reduced pauses to a stutter at known locations but sadly they are now 1 second pauses.  I dont want to have to switch even more off because I may fly between regions.  I assume with your flight you are not flying over ORBX regions hence disabling them? 

Chris

Hi Chris, that sounds discouraging 😐 Sure, this particular test was in Europe, so from Croatia to Spain. No Orbx regions activated anywhere, only Vector and EU LC. Interesting to see what you mentioned about the pauses happening in one particular place. If that is the case, and I am far from an expert, but I would have thought if something is repeatable, then it opens up the possibility of finding the cause.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

17 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Chris, that sounds discouraging 😐 Sure, this particular test was in Europe, so from Croatia to Spain. No Orbx regions activated anywhere, only Vector and EU LC. Interesting to see whta you mentioned about the pauses happening in one particular place. If that is the case, and I am far from an expert, but I would have thought if something is repeatable, then it opens up the possibility of finding the cause.

I bought additional scenery recently from Orbx so perhaps I need to review what Im disabling as what's enabled maybe too much.  I see you had commented on the other thread so should be aware that Rob Ainscough had commented, there was also links to his original post on ORBX forums back in 2015 as he experienced a long pause at Milford Sound in NZ which he could repeat.  Orbx blame the sim. Hard to know as I mainly use Orbx scenery and they are quite unique.  Unsure if anyone else produces such large regions so the quantity of files needing read is enormous.  I remember in the past having all scenery enabled worldword but disabling mesh, Orbx Vector and the LC packages from them but still got pauses in south England, also got them at one repeatable location in Norway and Pacific North West.  Soon as I got them in the past I saved the flight so that I could slew back and repeat the pause.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 minute ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I bought additional scenery recently from Orbx so perhaps I need to review what Im disabling as what's enabled maybe too much.  I see you had commented on the other thread so should be aware that Rob Ainscough had commented, there was also links to his original post on ORBX forums back in 2015 as he experienced a long pause at Milford Sound in NZ which he could repeat.  Orbx blame the sim. Hard to know as I mainly use Orbx scenery and they are quite unique.  Unsure if anyone else produces such large regions so the quantity of files needing read is enormous.  I remember in the past having all scenery enabled worldword but disabling mesh, Orbx Vector and the LC packages from them but still got pauses in south England, also got them at one repeatable location in Norway and Pacific North West.  Soon as I got them in the past I saved the flight so that I could slew back and repeat the pause.

Chris

😢 hhm, do the pauses happen if the scenery is reloaded same location, fresh, so the cache is emptied?

Howard

4 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

😢 hhm, do the pauses happen if the scenery is reloaded same location, fresh, so the cache is emptied?

Havent tested much on 4.4 but do know Im getting a long pause round the same area even if the sim is restarted.  Pauses in past tests, before I started using a scenery config tool, were in exactly the same spot, more scenery enabled the worse they were, just europe switched on gave a slight pause, everything enabled..8 second pause even with all settings to the left so there was basically no texture, no autogen etc.  These happened with a restarted pc and sim and were 100% repeatable.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

pauses in south England

I mentioned my scenario too in the other thread that's currently going here on Avsim...Does anyone get severe long pauses around the Clacton(CLN) VOR on the east coast of the UK?  For me, any flight departing London area airports that use this VOR is a horrible experience.  I had posted on this a few years ago and someone pointed me to a post on Orbx forum regarding this and Vector, I believe.  Unfortunately I could not log in to my Orbx account at the time and just gave up.  So I don't really know for sure if there is a fix or what that post said.  I just learn to live with it now or bypass that part of a SID if not flying online.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

56 minutes ago, klamal said:

I mentioned my scenario too in the other thread that's currently going here on Avsim...Does anyone get severe long pauses around the Clacton(CLN) VOR on the east coast of the UK?  For me, any flight departing London area airports that use this VOR is a horrible experience.  I had posted on this a few years ago and someone pointed me to a post on Orbx forum regarding this and Vector, I believe.  Unfortunately I could not log in to my Orbx account at the time and just gave up.  So I don't really know for sure if there is a fix or what that post said.  I just learn to live with it now or bypass that part of a SID if not flying online.

Hi Kevin, I was going to test CLN the other evening after reading your other comments.  I dont really fly around London City as it cripples my frames even with a 1080ti.  I do have Dynamic Lighting enabled which probably doesn't help.  Do you know what heading you are flying over CLN when it pauses? Is the pause over it or near it?  I will try tonight but do know the direction you are flying affects if a pause occurs or not.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson