Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Pauses Finally Cured?

Hi,

I have the same issue (regular pauses, say every 1 minute or so, lasting 5 to 10 seconds) when Flying over UK or departing/Landing at Heathrow, Gatwick , Stansted....

I noticed that there is a momentary lack in the activity both of CPU and GPU. It's visible in regular, rithmic way : 5 to 10 secs. every 1 minute or even less.

Firstly I supposed it was a scenery related issue , but disabling scenery airport does not solve anything.

ORBX could be investigated, in my opinion....

Flying over other countries in whole Europe seems not have any related issue.

B737/800 Home-cockpit - Prosim2.11 - P3d 4.3- GTX80ti - I74770 4,1ghz - 24 MB ram - tons of sceneries....

Edited by MAUCINTI

spacer.png   Como (Italy )   www.sim737ng.it

I9-13900kf-Asusz790-32GB GSkill-Rtx4080-MSFS/P3Dv6-3xBenq1080ST-Win10-Prosim3.26-AS-Envtex-Envshade-Orbx basepack,OpenLC Europe-CPFlight hardware-RSP TQ-Always on Vatsim

banner2.jpg

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Hi Kevin, I was going to test CLN the other evening after reading your other comments.  I dont really fly around London City as it cripples my frames even with a 1080ti.  I do have Dynamic Lighting enabled which probably doesn't help.  Do you know what heading you are flying over CLN when it pauses? Is the pause over it or near it?  I will try tonight but do know the direction you are flying affects if a pause occurs or not.

Chris

Hello Chris.

My heading is usually east/northeast(I don't recall the exact heading).  The route I'm flying is usually EGKK-ENGM when I fly over this VOR though I know other airports in the London area also have departures over this VOR.  So if you have access to charts, check the SIDS out of EGKK that are named CLNxx.  I don't recall the exact one as it's been a while since I've flown out of EGKK in that direction.  I believe that if you stick to the altitudes in the SID, by the time you reach the CLN VOR, you are somewhere around FL100-FL150.  The pauses happen within I'd say a 10nm radius of this VOR.  And they are long pauses and usually multiple ones.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I have a pause problem occasionally, but a different kind. Running v4.2 still. In mid-flight the sim pauses, and i have to hit the "p" key to get it going again. What could cause this? Anyone ever experience this? I have lots of Orbx stuff running.

17 minutes ago, lennie said:

I have a pause problem occasionally, but a different kind. Running v4.2 still. In mid-flight the sim pauses, and i have to hit the "p" key to get it going again. What could cause this? Anyone ever experience this? I have lots of Orbx stuff running.

Check in your options for PAUSE ON TASK SWITCH - be sure that is UNchecked - see if that helps.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just for information, I spent two hour today flying the B60 in Spain with photoscenery, with the settings and sceneries disabled as described in my first post, and again, I did not experience any pauses.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

It's best not to give these pauses any more publicity. It just encourages them. Ignore them and they'll get bored and go away. :dry:

• Like 9

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Sadly this subject keeps rearing its head and nothing definitive has come out of it. Couple of thread examples:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/529858-extended-pauses-revisited-inviting-user-input/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/535967-having-problems-with-5-10-second-freezes/?do=findComment&comment=3845600

I have noted during testing procedures for certain 3rd Party Developers that when I have the sim stripped back these pauses tend to go away. Narrowing it down, it does appear that ORBX may be implicated in some way. Nowadays, I only enable those Global Regions and Airports required for a particular flight and that seems to be helpful. This has been confirmed by others to be quite effective. The Lorby SI P4AO tool is a great help in this regard.

It would seem that the sim may still be scanning for stuff geographically far remote from your current flight situation. What the trigger is is anyone's guess. It's a shame Orbx and LM have not yet felt inclined to investigate, but then their development rigs probably run with fairly lean installations and it's quite likely they will never see these pauses.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Lately I have Window's Resource Monitor running in the background. When stutters happen, I can see P3D accessing files - often not scenery-related by the way - that have high response times (20 or more ms). Very often the files belong to objects that are being injected via SimConnect (UTL, GSX).

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I have following ORBX sceneries installed:

Global Base, Trees HD, Pacific North West, Pacific Fjords, Alaska South, Northern Rockies, Central Rockies, New Zealan South, New Zealand North, Pago Pago.

And then a bunch of ORBX Airfields and Airports for PNW, PFJ, NRM, CRM, Alska, ESSA, LOWI.

I see no pauses or stuttering, but has also disabled all AI traffic that comes with any of the sceneries.

I also own Vector, but has not installed it

FinnJ

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

I have had terrible stutters and pauses recently landing on e.g. RW31L with FSDT New York v2 using P3D v4.4 with e.g. the PMDG 737-800NGX. This was with Orbx FTX Global, Orbx LC North America and the DD New York City installed (very nice but only Lite version installed). The installation of P3D v4.4 was only by way of updating the Client and Content not a full installation.

I decided to uninstall everything (including P3D v4.4) and start afresh with a full installation of P3D v4.4. In the absence of FSDT New York v2 and with only the default scenery and default JFK airport, the same approach was repeated and NO stutters and pauses were experienced. I then reinstalled FSDT New York v2 (which demands installation of SODE and GSX), repeated the same approach and the same stutters and pauses returned (the main pause is long at about 3-4 seconds, VERY annoying on the approach). At this stage no Orbx scenery has been installed. I then decided to uninstall GSX and SODE (only interested in the approach) and repeated the same approach again, this time butter smooth and no stutters or pauses. Whereas one's experiences may be machine-dependent, the process of elimination I have been through has pinpointed the culprit to GSX or SODE or possibly both causing the stutters and pauses, not the FSDT scenery for JFK per se. Also at this stage, LM and Orbx are exonerated from the proceedings since I have proved the default scenery works fine out of the box and Orbx has not been reinstalled.

Other than a full uninstall of GSX, is there a way of disabling GSX without such measures to avoid these issues? How could GSX influence the behaviour at lower altitude nearing the airfield? There have been reports of SODE causing stutters but I thought that had been fixed in the latest 1.6.3 version.

My specs are very modest with an Intel 875K turbo-boosted and overclocked to 4GHz, GTX 1070 with 8GB RAM and 16GB DDR4 memory cards installed. 

Oh, by the way, I have used no tweaks in the cfg file or use of Vsync etc.

Edited by LecLightning56

I think it is related somehow to many different aspects but coming all together on one particular thing: the stutters appear as soon as the simulator is somehow flooded/overwhelmed with calls for whatever. Obviously, on certain machines, this already happens if too many simconnect calls are made, some only observe it related to the sheer amount of sceneries, some due to huge global coverage products and some simply due to too high settings.

Currently, I have only very limited pauses and mostly due to either initial loading of the destination airport scenery or due to my rather big AI traffic. Otherwise, there are no pauses, if I disable AI traffic and fly in a local manner (e.g. for some sightseeing with a GA plane), I have no pauses at all. In such a scenario, my sim is not overloaded or flooded with anything obviously...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

34 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I think it is related somehow to many different aspects but coming all together on one particular thing: the stutters appear as soon as the simulator is somehow flooded/overwhelmed with calls for whatever. Obviously, on certain machines, this already happens if too many simconnect calls are made, some only observe it related to the sheer amount of sceneries, some due to huge global coverage products and some simply due to too high settings.

Currently, I have only very limited pauses and mostly due to either initial loading of the destination airport scenery or due to my rather big AI traffic. Otherwise, there are no pauses, if I disable AI traffic and fly in a local manner (e.g. for some sightseeing with a GA plane), I have no pauses at all. In such a scenario, my sim is not overloaded or flooded with anything obviously...

In my case the simulator may well have been, as you have put it, somehow flooded/overwhelmed with calls from GSX (and possibly SODE) which is disappointing since these are intended for use at airfields other than those developed by FSDT and hence the problem may be repeated elsewhere other than at FSDT JFK.

If anyone else has had a similar experience with GSX (the latest version), please post your findings here.

P.S. I have now posted on the FSDT forum lest they have any words of wisdom about GSX etc.

Edited by LecLightning56

I don't own GSX and during previous tests I was getting repeatable pauses in exactly the same locations with only Orbx global products like textures and land class packages and all their regions. No other airports installed so no SODE, no AI Traffic installed and no weather add-on installed or running. Plus ALL SIM settings on their minimum or off. These are not stutters, as the SIM can be running smoothly, but full blown pauses were the SIM completely stops between 1 and 8 seconds. Even with just the above sceneries enabled gave me 8s pauses in a certain location on South coast of England. Switching 80% of them off is the only way to reduce that pause down to 1s or 0.5s if I'm lucky. Switching all add on scenery off means no pause. Remember this evening happens with all settings on lowest so everything is super sparse with extremely blurry ground textures so zero load on system. When monitoring GPU activity everything goes to zero during the pauses 

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

5 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

I have had terrible stutters and pauses recently landing on e.g. RW31L with FSDT New York v2 using P3D v4.4 with e.g. the PMDG 737-800NGX. This was with Orbx FTX Global, Orbx LC North America and the DD New York City installed (very nice but only Lite version installed). The installation of P3D v4.4 was only by way of updating the Client and Content not a full installation.

I decided to uninstall everything (including P3D v4.4) and start afresh with a full installation of P3D v4.4. In the absence of FSDT New York v2 and with only the default scenery and default JFK airport, the same approach was repeated and NO stutters and pauses were experienced. I then reinstalled FSDT New York v2 (which demands installation of SODE and GSX), repeated the same approach and the same stutters and pauses returned (the main pause is long at about 3-4 seconds, VERY annoying on the approach). At this stage no Orbx scenery has been installed. I then decided to uninstall GSX and SODE (only interested in the approach) and repeated the same approach again, this time butter smooth and no stutters or pauses. Whereas one's experiences may be machine-dependent, the process of elimination I have been through has pinpointed the culprit to GSX or SODE or possibly both causing the stutters and pauses, not the FSDT scenery for JFK per se. Also at this stage, LM and Orbx are exonerated from the proceedings since I have proved the default scenery works fine out of the box and Orbx has not been reinstalled.

Other than a full uninstall of GSX, is there a way of disabling GSX without such measures to avoid these issues? How could GSX influence the behaviour at lower altitude nearing the airfield? There have been reports of SODE causing stutters but I thought that had been fixed in the latest 1.6.3 version.

My specs are very modest with an Intel 875K turbo-boosted and overclocked to 4GHz, GTX 1070 with 8GB RAM and 16GB DDR4 memory cards installed. 

Oh, by the way, I have used no tweaks in the cfg file or use of Vsync etc.

Now I have started to reinstall Orbx and all is well with FTX Global (no stutters/pauses), but with LC North America a small but largely imperceptible stutter occurs at 500-600 feet above ground level. In my case the worst offender appears to have been the influence of GSX causing a massive pause on the approach to FSDT JFK which just makes the experience a bit of a joke.

3 hours ago, LecLightning56 said:

GSX causing a massive pause on the approach to FSDT JFK which just makes the experience a bit of a joke.

Hmm, now this is interesting as GSX has not until now, unless I'm mistaken, had the finger pointed at it. I wonder how many sufferers of these pauses have GSX installed... 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776