Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Pauses Finally Cured?

Well.  After doing some extensive testing (still not done).  I have thrashed my SSD so many times, that it is sad.  I hope one of these days Rob or Simbol can get me into the LM P3d Beta team.  

I installed only Orbx Socal (left all SoCal settings to default), installed Orbx KAVX, RealAir Duke, LatinVFR KSNA, F1 GTN, and flew from KAVX to KSNA - this time no gpu load happened, and the KSNA scenery showed up as it should (slight slow loading, that is due to default medium autogen distance) but no pauses!!!

I am going to install NorCal and see what happens on the same route.

I have a feeling that all of this could be caused if Vector is installed or If too many things are installed P3D starts to hang, unless there is some limit on the scenery.cfg plus addons installed at once.  

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

47 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Well.  After doing some extensive testing (still not done).  I have thrashed my SSD so many times, that it is sad.  I hope one of these days Rob or Simbol can get me into the LM P3d Beta team.  

I installed only Orbx Socal (left all SoCal settings to default), installed Orbx KAVX, RealAir Duke, LatinVFR KSNA, F1 GTN, and flew from KAVX to KSNA - this time no gpu load happened, and the KSNA scenery showed up as it should (slight slow loading, that is due to default medium autogen distance) but no pauses!!!

I am going to install NorCal and see what happens on the same route.

I have a feeling that all of this could be caused if Vector is installed or If too many things are installed P3D starts to hang, unless there is some limit on the scenery.cfg plus addons installed at once.  

I think this is the general consensus that less is more.  And in my opinion I point to Vector as being the biggest culprit in causing the pauses but not all of them.  Josh

• Like 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Just returning to this thread as I haven't been using my simulator in many weeks.  As Orbx extended their sale by a further 24 hours I decided to purchase True Earth Netherlands for about £15 which is a bargain.  I cannot see me investing in other TE regions as the sheer storage space required is enormous and the only feasible way to install them is on the old mechanical hard drives which to me is a step backwards.  Orbx is getting a lot of the blame for these Long Pauses, I know I got them simply by installing and having only their full fat regions and global products installed and nothing else.  Long pauses occured regardless of the sims settings, even with every slider to the left...the sim looked so ugly but still paused for up to 8 seconds at set test locations. It also happened when I formatted my system and installed Windows 7 as test when I thought something had messed up Windows 10, I'm back on W10 but the issue is exactly the same. 

True Earth has got me thinking about the future of Prepar3D and the direction ORBX are taking.  We already have a messed up sim which simply cannot cope properly with too many add on sceneries.  It is indexing the active scenery library when you cross certain lines when flying over scenery and causing lengthy pauses from 1 - 8 seconds (these are not stutters).  Orbx's full fat regions are huge compared to many other scenery packages from other companies so what impact will True Earth have on long pauses?  I am currently downloading a 72GB zip file to install tomorrow, I can only imagine it will make the pause problem worse and with more TE packages in development the landclass method maybe a thing of the past.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone with a large amount of other sceneries carried out tests with no Orbx scenery installed or active to see if the indexing problem still exists?

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

You may be in for a pleasant surprise.. TE Netherlands does not cause pauses on my system, unlike FTX SoCal for example.  :wink:

Just a guess, but there are a lot of airports in the L.A. area.. by comparison, NL has very few airports..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Download “ultimate windows tweaker tool”

under performance; turn off prefetch and super fetch.

this worked for me and it correlates with a previous post or two that I’ve seen referencing “indexing” in the background. 

This worked for me.  Give it a try and let’s see if this could be a common denominator 

d

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darrylacw579 said:

Download “ultimate windows tweaker tool

this worked for me and it correlates with a previous post or two that I’ve seen referencing “indexing” in the background. 

This worked for me.  Give it a try and let’s see if this could be a common denominator 

d

In Windows 7 , I only find Superfetch, no Prefetch.. is that a Windows 10 feature?

BTW, Services can be turned off in Windows Control Panel..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

3 hours ago, Darrylacw579 said:

d

I'm puzzled how this works to stop long pauses because it's the SIM requesting the active scenery library be scanned rather than something Windows is doing. I'll give it a shot though my long pause locations have moved since v4.4 They were in a few repeatable locations where the SIM would completely stop for at least 8 seconds if I had all my scenery active. Same occured even with every setting on Mon or switched off. I since started using a scenery configuration editor.

Will do no harm testing this I guess

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

52 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I'm puzzled how this works to stop long pauses because it's the SIM requesting the active scenery library be scanned rather than something Windows is doing. I'll give it a shot though my long pause locations have moved since v4.4 They were in a few repeatable locations where the SIM would completely stop for at least 8 seconds if I had all my scenery active. Same occured even with every setting on Mon or switched off. I since started using a scenery configuration editor.

Will do no harm testing this I guess

Chris

Just tested it and saw no impact on "long pauses".

The long pauses are an Orbx / P3D thing..

V4.5. initially eliminated a lot of it, but the Hotfix brought it back, at least partially.

Clearly LM is aware, but performance trade-offs were made to please the largest number of users..

Bert

True Earh NL over Amsterdam with FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol ,Real Weather and PSXT Live AI Traffic was very demanding on my system. Then I decided to built a second view pc and now I am quiet happy with it,

Recorded with a cellphone : just after takeoff from Amsterdam Schiphol rw 36L and a turn over Amsterdam. 

AG both very dense.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 6/28/2019 at 6:11 AM, Darrylacw579 said:

under performance; turn off prefetch and super fetch

d

Thank for posting Darryl!

I only found Prefetch, No Superfetch on my up to date version of Win 10.

The good news after disabling Prefetch is the mico stutters are now gone.
But as others noted the longer pauses (.5 to 3 seconds) still exist esp in highly complex Orbx environments. 

It'll be interesting to see if TrueEarth for P3D addresses/corrects this.

Cheers all,
D-Man

On the latest versions of Windows "Superfetch" is now combined with "SysMain".  Simply disable "SysMain" in Services as described previously for SuperFetch.

My understanding is that "SuperFetch" was not recommended for SSD hard drives (and was supposedly disabled automatically by Windows in that event). The issue is that it would prematurely wear down an SSD with too many write operations. So the marginal benefit was not worth it.

I use SSDs in my multi-computer setup.  I have been plagued recently with slow scenery loading arriving at destination airports, including pauses etc. as described by many here. I found that SysMain was in fact running, and I have disabled it.  However I have not really seen an appreciable improvement....maybe slightly, but too close to call.

15 hours ago, FredK said:

On the latest versions of Windows "Superfetch" is now combined with "SysMain".  Simply disable "SysMain" in Services as described previously for SuperFetch.

My understanding is that "SuperFetch" was not recommended for SSD hard drives (and was supposedly disabled automatically by Windows in that event). The issue is that it would prematurely wear down an SSD with too many write operations. So the marginal benefit was not worth it.

I use SSDs in my multi-computer setup.  I have been plagued recently with slow scenery loading arriving at destination airports, including pauses etc. as described by many here. I found that SysMain was in fact running, and I have disabled it.  However I have not really seen an appreciable improvement....maybe slightly, but too close to call.

Me too. Disabled Superfetch/SysMain and the normal Prefetch. No noticeable changes whatsoever.

Big pauses here (about 5 seconds or more, occasionally less) whenever the aircraft gets closer to an addon airport scenery, apparently the simulator simply doesn't multitask with a loading addon airport, don't you think?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto