Sign in to follow this  
aatd

Dual GTX 980s for Prepar3d -- Does the job?

Hello folks,

I'm not a techie, so please consider this in any recommendations.  

I am interested in running Prepar3d (current version) on my current platform (spec below).  I know I need to upgrade my gpu from my existing 1060 3GB unit and am contemplating an offer to buy dual sli'd GTX 980s (4GB versions).  I limit my flying to GA and corporate aircraft -- no heavy metal, along with various ORBX packages.  Will the 980s do the job?  If not, what limitations and/or troubles should I expect?

My current system specs are:

- (CPU) intel i5 - 2500k (OC at ~4,4GHz)

- (GPU) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 (3gb)

- (RAM) G.Skill Ripjaws X (2x4GB). (I intend to upgrade to 32GB)

- 500GB hdd; 1 TB ssd

- Upgraded cooler -- (don't immediately recall the model)

- (Monitors):  I currently run three of:  Asus HD VH238H 23"; as well as one PC Aviator GPS (5" display).

OTHER:

- Complete GoFlight corporate pilot platform;

- Saitek PIDs (8 of).  And;

- Cirrus yoke and pedals.

Thank you,

Brian

Thanks Paul.  I have no experience at all with a 980 so any and all advice is appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to Prepar3d v4.x, but this thread seems to suggest more pain than benefit in a dual sli'd set-up:

Brian

Long ago I had a SLI set-up with 2 690's and it did not help (but did not hurt) in P3D v2 or FSX, so I agree with your take on the thread from 2015.

But there are people who claim an added benefit with SLI in v4 with newer cards and systems. Whether the 980 in SLI has the tech and features for P3D v4 to take advantage of it, is a question I cannot honestly answer, it may require 10 series in SLI, I'm just not sure. 

I run 2 monitors and VR with my single 980.

P3D 4.4 runs great on my system with very high settings. I have yet to install add-ons, but I don't foresee any performance issues.

That's very helpful Paul -- thank you.  I'm assuming a 980 ti would mimic your experience.  Does that make sense to you?

Brian

one would get even better performance out of a 980ti.

Not sure if you know about this site but its packed with so much info on old and new. Reviews and benchmarks galore:

https://www.guru3d.com/

Though more geared to gaming, there is a lot of info to be had there.

-------------------------

I usually call the very friendly folks at Jetline Systems to get the lo-down on what is best for flight sims. 

https://jetlinesystems.com/

4GB of VRAM on a triple-monitor system is something of a red flag to me.

Prior to my current build, I've had 980Ti and 1080Ti SLI configs, and they worked well...but they can be a real hassle in some ways, such as when new drivers break the SLI functionality, or the recent issues with PDK-based features (TrueGlass, RealLight, GSX2 jetway signage etc) that flash on/off with SLI.  I don't know if any of that is fixed in v4.4, BTW.

Also, if you play games in addition to simming on the PC, SLI support in games is all over the map...can be an issue with some titles.

So, if the price is right, might be worth a try, but there might be some challenges...

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

My understanding is SLI is of limited benefit to P3D and you'd be better getting a single faster card, such as the GTX 980 Ti mentioned. I'm running P3Dv4 fine on a single GTX980 4GB at 1440p. However, as Bob has mentioned above, any pixels in addition to what I already have and I think I'd want more behind me.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I had the 980 Ti but I switched to 1080Ti, the 980 Ti had some tough times with the dynamic lighting..if DL is off, then it is fine.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5