Sign in to follow this  
Alistair Logie

UK2000 sale

3 hours ago, bbilly05 said:

Any recommended best airports to get?

Cheers,

Billy

I own EGCC and it's beautiful and easy on frames, recommended.

4 hours ago, bbilly05 said:

Any recommended best airports to get?

Cheers,

Billy

All UK2000's products are good, but one I particularly recommend is VFR Airfields Volume 3, because it is a lot of bang for your bucks. Many of the included airfields (72 of them!) are part of a rich legacy of aviation history for the UK, being that it includes a lot of AVRO/Hawker Siddeley/BAe/EADS testing and construction facilities and a fair few famous RAF bases, such as Warton, Woodvale, Valley, Church Fenton, Woodford etc. 

UK2000's sceneries might not blow your socks off graphically compared to some of the latest and greatest releases such as that shiny new Aerosoft Köln/Bonn by Jo Erlend Sund which is graphically stunning, but there are many plusses to a more minimalist approach too, notably UK2000's sceneries run extremely well and that they undeniably inexpensive (even moreso in a sale). The fact that they run well and are not too taxing on your system is actually a fairly important consideration for the UK when adding airport sceneries, since there are quite a few very busy airports in reasonably close proximity to one another, and so when you have a lot of AI traffic running, there is a good chance the sim will be loading in quite a fair few aircraft movements. Because of this, I think it's acceptable to sacrifice some of the visual wow features or more pricey alternatives, in favour of fluidity.

This is not to say that UK2000's sceneries are unattractive visually in spite of this, they are perfectly adequate and a big improvement over the default scenery. For example, I work at EGCC, so I'm extremely familiar with it, and I think the UK2000 version of it is great. It's a very good lookalike for the real place, it even includes my works' office door near Stand 27, painted in the correct colour! Sure I could point out things which are not spot-on with it, but generally speaking it gets things right and doesn't bog down when you load it up with AI traffic. In fact, since EGCC is in the process of undergoing massive redevelopment at the moment, no scenery for EGCC is ever going to be completely accurate, since it currently has construction vehicles all over the place and new terminals and stands are being built (we had to tow an A321 off a stand last night so they could pour some concrete, for example).

Just up the road from EGCC, UK2000 offer a very good EGGP too, and if you like flying 737s and A320s, this is a good choice because Liverpool is a big operational hub for Ryanair and Easyjet and is good for things like the Majestic Q400 and the (forthcoming) MILVIZ ATR-72.

If, as I do, you have all of the above mentioned sceneries, it creates a nice effect as you depart from 23R/23L at Manchester, because you pass over many of those sceneries as you fly your SID, but you don't have to worry about frame rates dropping even with all of them loaded in and lots of traffic flying around and moving on the airports as you pass over at relatively low altitude.

I can also recommend UK2000's London airports for many of the same reasons. Heathrow is one of the busiest airports there is, in fact it is the second busiest airport in the entire world in terms of passenger traffic, only surpassed by Dubai, so there is a plenty of good reason to go for a scenery of it which does not go completely over the top graphically. The scenery for London City airport is nice to have too, since it will let you use that shiny new Aerosoft Airbus A318 to make a steep approach. That airport being one of the few places where such an approach is authorised.

So you really can't go wrong with any choice from UK2000, especially at that sale price. It's worth noting too that UK2000's dev is always jazzing things up and improving products, and quite often will offer discounts to purchasers who have earlier versions of UK2000's sceneries, so it's nice to know that it won't cost an arm and a leg to get their newer stuff when you've bought some of their previous products. It's one of many reasons why UK2000 is one of my favourite add-on companies.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The Xtreme series are lovely, any of those for airports you're likely to visit fairly often are worth purchasing. I'd take them over any other developer's offering, whilst they lose a little (and I do stress only a little) of the visual finesse of something like MegaAirport or Aerosoft X, they run notably better and they're just as accurate.

If you do VFR or are likely to visit smaller airfields, then UK2000 VFR Airfields v2 (vol 1, 2 and/or 3) are great, there's a very small unlicensed airfield near my house that is basically a farmer's field with two hangars at the edge and some hay bales in the middle and even that made the cut so I fly in/out of it all the time!

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

The Xtreme series are lovely, any of those for airports you're likely to visit fairly often. I'd take them over any other developer's offering, whilst they lose a little (and I do stress only a little) of the visual finesse of something like MegaAirport or Aerosoft X, they run notably better and they're just as accurate.

If you do VFR or are likely to visit smaller airfields, then UK2000 VFR Airfields v2 (vol 1, 2 and/or 3) are great, there's a very small unlicensed airfield near my house that is basically a farmer's field with a hangar at the edge and even that made the cut so I fly in/out of it all the time!

+++1

UK2000 is an excellent developer. they offer discounts if you belong to a VA also. I will certainly be buying a few more airports around UK. I wish UK2000 had the time/inclination to develop international airports also.

Chock

I’m curios , I was wanting to ask you this after watching your  excellent Vulcan video where you mention your Woodford is from UK 2000 VFR airfields and you have Orbx, I’m presuming the England region installed?

If that’s the case , do you think the UK2K VFR airfields are an improvement on the upgraded small airports and strip included in the Orbx England region? I was amazed to find Camp hill gliding club to the east of EGCC included at a nice level with Orbx , and again their Woodford is nice.

I love the UK2000 products and shall be finishing off my collection in the sales. I also work at EGCC and can again also vouch for its quality and accuracy, it’s a lot nicer place than the real one with the AI turned off !

Time to stock up on U.K. airports before Orbx true earth England or Just flight real scenery VFR arrive I think.

Its also worth mentioning for those who may not know   UK2000 also have a nice collection of large airports available for Xplane 

Edited by jon b

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I would be very careful using UK2000 airports in conjunction with orbx. Traditionally these two products have not played well together with each developer blaming the other for the issues.  I had to uninstall all 3 UK2000 VFR sets to enable me to carry on using ORBX England without issues.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sunjunkiesi said:

I would be very careful using UK2000 airports in conjunction with orbx. Traditionally these two products have not played well together with each developer blaming the other for the issues.  I had to uninstall all 3 UK2000 VFR sets to enable me to carry on using ORBX England without issues.

Ah, thank you very much for that advice.

My larger UK2K airports and Orbx region seem to be behaving so far but I think I’ll stick to just the Xtreme products for now then  and wait and see how things look from Orbx TE or  just flight VFR when they arrive.

Thanks again 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I know this is somewhat off topic but I was unimpressed with ORBX (SIM720) England both visually and performance wise on FSX, I can't remember how upgraded the included airfields are but I'm willing to bet they're not as detailed or comprehensive as UK2000 VFR Airfields based on my experience with FTX Scotland (Scotland is not a bad product by the way). I'm using Horizon VFR X Photographic Scenery with Treescapes and UK2000 VFR AirfIelds (and some Xtreme ones) sat on top and the all play together merrily. Although I wouldn't suggest investing heavily in Horizon when it seems TrueEarth England South and Central could be on P3D next year, but you can pick the DVDs up for the Horizon product quite cheaply online.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

45 minutes ago, sunjunkiesi said:

Was Manchester one of those? There was an issue with duplicated buildings and jetways, solved with the quick removal of a couple of files from the FTX England folder.

Ian S

38.jpg

1 hour ago, sunjunkiesi said:

I would be very careful using UK2000 airports in conjunction with orbx.

I have just re-installed UK2000's EGCC and have Orbx's EU England too, and had no issues whatsoever...........

1 hour ago, jon b said:

EGCC and can again also vouch for its quality and accuracy, i

.................EGCC was exactly as you state.

5 hours ago, Chock said:

I particularly recommend is VFR Airfields Volume 3,

Going to follow-up on the 3 airports bought today from Gary with above

Wow, thanks everyone for your feedback and advice - much appreciated. Will grab a couple of airports.

Cheers,

Billy

WW1294.png

14 hours ago, jon b said:

Chock

I’m curios , I was wanting to ask you this after watching your  excellent Vulcan video where you mention your Woodford is from UK 2000 VFR airfields and you have Orbx, I’m presuming the England region installed?

If that’s the case , do you think the UK2K VFR airfields are an improvement on the upgraded small airports and strip included in the Orbx England region? I was amazed to find Camp hill gliding club to the east of EGCC included at a nice level with Orbx , and again their Woodford is nice.

Yup, I think they are an improvement although the Orbx stuff is good too, so it's up to you. I just wish Orbx would bang out their Barton scenery for P3D as well as XPlane, as that one is stunning.

Re Camphill: Having flown lots of aeroplanes to and from Camphill at the D&LGC many times, I can recommend that scenery when installed into Condor 2 if you want to simulate gliders operating from there. You can download that scenery free and it includes all the surrounding Peak District area as photorealistic terrain.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here