Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

2 minutes ago, tooting said:

i dont get this error with any other software I use.  only P3D.  and if I use ANY driver later than 397.64  I get the issue.  But ANY driver before 397.64 I dont get it.

Please explain how this cant be an issue with P3D then. 

From that 'analysis' it must surely be down to nVidia, messing up their drivers, not P3D? I don't really see how P3D could cause a GPU to report timeouts, hangs, or anything driver/hardware related. It's at the wrong level in the Windows architecture. The most it could do is put a severe enough load on it to show up failures elsewhere.

Continually looking for improved performance, I have updated drivers regularly (though a bit behind at present -- I have 416.22 downloaded but not yet installed).  But I only install the proper WHQL ones.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

like Ive just said Rob.  Before if I use ANY driver later than 397.64  I get the issue.  But ANY driver before 397.64 I dont get it. 

I agree its absolutely a problem with 1080ti's and overclocks as you dont seem to get it on 980tis.

but theres a conflict between the drivers and p3d and the drivers after the 397.64 thats the issue.

and i know ive seen other posts about other games with dxgi issues.  It took me weeks to suss out which driver was the factor  

14ppkc-6.png

4 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

From that 'analysis' it must surely be down to nVidia, messing up their drivers, not P3D? I don't really see how P3D could cause a GPU to report timeouts, hangs, or anything driver/hardware related. It's at the wrong level in the Windows architecture. The most it could do is put a severe enough load on it to show up failures elsewhere.

Continually looking for improved performance, I have updated drivers regularly (though a bit behind at present -- I have 416.22 downloaded but not yet installed).  But I only install the proper WHQL ones.

Pete

try the 397.64 drivers, I bet you a discounted virgin mates rates ticket in upper.... you wont get the issue, im that confident.

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

8 minutes ago, tooting said:

Please explain how this cant be an issue with P3D then.

Do some basic internet searches, you'll see a very common solution ... but don't let that stop you from jumping to conclusions.  The more the app/game/sim makes use of VRAM the higher the probability it will expose hardware issues ... P3D can use A LOT of VRAM and can stress a GPU (SSAA will do that), TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 or 10 will use anywhere from 4GB to 10+GB VRAM.

Cheers, Rob.

18 minutes ago, tooting said:

i dont get this error with any other software I use.  only P3D. 

Ditto.

3 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Do some basic internet searches, you'll see a very common solution ... but don't let that stop you from jumping to conclusions.  The more the app/game/sim makes use of VRAM the higher the probability it will expose hardware issues ... P3D can use A LOT of VRAM and can stress a GPU (SSAA will do that), TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 or 10 will use anywhere from 4GB to 10+GB VRAM.

Cheers, Rob.

then why using exp 9 or 10 work fine with ZERO issues with drivers before  397.64  and not with drivers after then

14ppkc-6.png

4 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Sadly my own card is just outside the warranty (if it was just 12 months) I've had crashes since June or July but was convinced my card wasn't faulty as so many experience these crashes. I also did not want to be without a GPU for a month waiting for tests etc.

I might review running a log like you did and post results. Only thing is I can't sit in front of pc for hrs whilst it's testing so unsure at which point the log is applicable as I wouldn't know the exact time of the crash unless it happens whilst I'm present. Any tips?

Chris

Hi Chris

I could be wrong but I thought you swapped cards a few weeks ago with your son and demonstrated the issue was your card, perhaps I have you confused with someone else.

Regardless I assume you tried the 397.64 drivers as stated by someone else above as "the solution" and it didn't solve the problem. BTW it didn't solve any of my friends problem with this issue.

As I stated previously in this forum only a new card fixed the issue for a couple of my friends. IF there are emerging card issues that would explain why this issue DOES show up across several software games and sims as I have also seen in my research, not just P3D.

I look forward to Pete's conclusion when he reactivates the card he disabled to see if indeed his issue was caused by his card as well.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, tooting said:

try the 397.64 drivers, I bet you a discounted virgin mates rates ticket in upper.... you wont get the issue, im that confident

Then you should be aware that a specific driver version was also suggested by the many threads on the internet with other games/sims/apps and in many cases that did NOT solve the problem.  But either way, you've just admitted it's an nVidia problem by suggesting it's driver specific ... sooooo, you're back at square one.  Suggest you bring this up with nVidia.

In the meantime, for those seeking solutions that are outside of RMA:

1.  Try underclocking GPU/Memory
2.  Don't use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 or 10 (this also means uncheck High Res terrian in P3D) this will reduce VRAM usage
3.  If SLI, disable it and use a signal GPU, if problem still persists, remove a GPU and see if it only happens with a specific GPU
4.  Buy another GPU, keep the receipt, test with it, if the problem still remains you can return the GPU for money back
5.  Contact nVidia support

OR, just keep blaming LM and get nowhere

Cheers, Rob.

2 minutes ago, tooting said:

my money is still on a conflict between p3d and drivers after 397.64

I've had the issue far before these drivers were released.

19 minutes ago, tooting said:

try the 397.64 drivers, I bet you a discounted virgin mates rates ticket in upper.... you wont get the issue, im that confident.

I don't think I can use such old drivers on this hardware. And I no longer have the issue, have found the problem and fixed it.

Pete

Just now, Pete Dowson said:

I don't think I can use such old drivers on this hardware. And I no longer have the issue, have found the problem and fixed it.

Pete

to save me trawling up the page , how did you fix it please

14ppkc-6.png

A little update..I tried 397.64 drivers after the DDU in safe mode, but now I am getting 100% GPU usage and a stuttering slide show, even at very low settings and the default piper cub. I have never hit 100% GPU usage before with my high settings. I also deleted shaders, and the p3d.cfg, no change. I haven't done anything to the clocks yet and I'm not wanting to touch those until I can at least get the sim running smooth again (frame rate wise) but seems I am just making things worse. Before I was never below 25fps in hard areas like LAX/SFO. This is frustrating because I loved what I saw with 4.4 and the only flight I did (LAS-SLC) ended with a HUNG error which seems to happen in the SLC valley, didn't have it happen for me anywhere else when jumping to different airports. And now the stuttering slideshow has me baffled. A lame question but how do I know if I have a factory overclocked card? I will be doing a complete uninstall and fresh install after Christmas as I'm getting a new (larger) SSD for the sim.

Edited by pvupilot

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

4 minutes ago, tooting said:

to save me trawling up the page , how did you fix it please

First tested with SLI disabled. Result: okay!
So then eliminated one the three GPUs n my 3-way SLI, setting 2-way.  Also okay!

One more test to do (tomorrow) -- use the eliminated GPU and exclude the other, also in a 2-way SLI.

If that works as well, then I know it's my 3-way configuration which was responsible (though why is another matter). If that doesn't work it points to the originally excluded card being faulty.

Pete

2 hours ago, tooting said:

then why using exp 9 or 10 work fine with ZERO issues with drivers before  397.64  and not with drivers after then

The theory you have to discount is that something in the older drivers isn't working the card as hard as the newer drivers either in memory use or heat. Since the card is not working as hard, it doesn't corrupt the memory and there isn't a DXGI hung error.

I got the dreaded DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error on a brand new 2080 today. It was in VR at night in the cockpit of the Flight1 King Air. At the time I was wondering why my memory usage was 7GB out of 8GB because I was at only one regional orbx airport and the card load was ~85%.

The card is factory overclocked.

I did not reboot and just restarted P3D then did a six hour flight in the day with scattered clouds not a problem but the 2080 was only loaded to 50-60% usage most of the time and memory usage was lower because after takeoff there was no more orbx scenery in the flight plan except for the region at FL290.

I doubt it is an P3D problem.