Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

4 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I've seen differing posts saying to try the 64 bit keyword given the drivers and OS are 64 bit but neither versions have worked for me sadly.  I had my Power Limit of the card at 80%, a little higher than previous tests, and it crashed after an hour or two.  Set it to 75% before going to bed and the sim was still running 8 hours later so the power is causing some sort of issue.  Adjusting the Power Limit also adjusts the temp limit I think though the card has never reached the temperature limit if set at 100% which is to crash P3D

I'd do a long GPU stress test run with OCCT while monitoring both the GPU temp and Vddc with GPU-Z or nVidia Inspector--and watch the 12v rail voltage on the mobo as well.  I'm wondering if bumping up the GPU voltage might help.

If you're using a modular PSU, reseating the cable connectors and possibly swapping them out wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

The best test would be to beg, borrow, or steal another 1080Ti to see if it's a bad/weak card, which seems more and more likely.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

37 minutes ago, w6kd said:

or steal another 1080Ti

Or steal?? Lol!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, pgde said:

For those who have RMA'd their 1080ti due to this problem and received a replacement, has this solved the problem or does it reoccur?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

It remedied the situation in the situation I know of. Perhaps there is a slow degradation in the 1080ti and when run in the P3D taxing situations will cause a memory or processsor glitch that throws this error?

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

I'd do a long GPU stress test run with OCCT while monitoring both the GPU temp and Vddc with GPU-Z or nVidia Inspector--and watch the 12v rail voltage on the mobo as well.  I'm wondering if bumping up the GPU voltage might help.

If you're using a modular PSU, reseating the cable connectors and possibly swapping them out wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

The best test would be to beg, borrow, or steal another 1080Ti to see if it's a bad/weak card, which seems more and more likely.

Regards

I've just come home from work. Have had the SIM running since midnight last night with Power Limit set to 75% it was crash free this morning and still running at 2pm today so I decided to enable logging in GPU-Z I arrived home from work at 6pm and noticed SIM crashed around 2:30pm so it ran for about 14 hours. I did notice on the log 2 entries at the apparent time of crash that the GPU load hit 100% though it has done this before when monitoring and not crashed no no other 100% entries in this log. I will attach the log later as heading back out. 

I will run those tests though unsure what to look out for? I cannot bump up any power limit or voltage at all otherwise I get dxgi crashes in P3D. Can't add any speed to core or memory or crashes. Even if I set power limit to 75% to get it fairly stable like my current test and I increased voltage the SIM will crash quickly. Any other game etc I can put voltage to max, power limit to max, increase core and memory speeds a lot and no crash. I've done this to test the card since P3d gives crashes. It's the only bloody thing which crashes so im not confident Overclocked will change it. They need to send it to Hong Kong which takes well over a month. If they refuse to fix it I've 2 special delivery courier charges to pay which maybe hefty given the value of the product. I only briefly had access to my son's 1080 as I do not know anyone with a gaming pc. Also I hear the vendor is quite ruthless in its valuation of they are to refund..they take age and wear and tear off the value and do not refund the price you paid. With 1080ti card costing £200 more than I paid a year ago I'd be well out of pocket

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

28 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I will run those tests though unsure what to look out for? I cannot bump up any power limit or voltage at all otherwise I get dxgi crashes in P3D. Can't add any speed to core or memory or crashes. Even if I set power limit to 75% to get it fairly stable like my current test and I increased voltage the SIM will crash quickly. Any other game etc I can put voltage to max, power limit to max, increase core and memory speeds a lot and no crash. I've done this to test the card since P3d gives crashes. It's the only bloody thing which crashes so im not confident Overclocked will change it. They need to send it to Hong Kong which takes well over a month. If they refuse to fix it I've 2 special delivery courier charges to pay which maybe hefty given the value of the product. I only briefly had access to my son's 1080 as I do not know anyone with a gaming pc. Also I hear the vendor is quite ruthless in its valuation of they are to refund..they take age and wear and tear off the value and do not refund the price you paid. With 1080ti card costing £200 more than I paid a year ago I'd be well out of pocket

Increasing the power limit is not the same as increasing the voltage.  The power limit allows the GPU to exceed its design thermal design power by a specified margin.  Using an overclocking utility like MSI Afterburner, eVGA Precision, or nVidia Inspector, you can also specify a positive offset to be applied to the stock GPU voltage, which can stabilize things if it's running at the ragged edge of stability, which it sounds like it may be.  Sometimes just adding a few mV can make all the difference...I just had to do that with some RAM in a new build that would throw the occasional error until I bumped up the voltage just 15 mV over spec.

I feel for your plight with the card...but if the hardware is failing, then it's failing.  I buy eVGA cards exclusively to avoid the kinds of unhappiness you're having with the vendor and/or OEM.

Good luck!

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I've just come home from work. Have had the SIM running since midnight last night with Power Limit set to 75% it was crash free this morning and still running at 2pm today so I decided to enable logging in GPU-Z I arrived home from work at 6pm and noticed SIM crashed around 2:30pm so it ran for about 14 hours. I did notice on the log 2 entries at the apparent time of crash that the GPU load hit 100% though it has done this before when monitoring and not crashed no no other 100% entries in this log. I will attach the log later as heading back out. 

Chris

Chris -- if you look closely at my log, you will see the exact same thing that you experienced == immediately before the crash, the GPU hit 100% for two rows and then crashed. And the GPU usage before that was relatively constant. I happened to be here starting a flight from PAJN (Juneau to Anchorage) to PANC and was just beginning a taxi to the active. Nothing should have caused the GPU to peak like that, other than a hardware problem (I made this flight a number of times with my 1070 without any problem). I also have had the card running at 100% (experimenting with Dynamic Lighting at night) without a crash. So, I wonder if something is broken on the card and the 100% reading is telling us there is a problem. I have done another log which I have posted here (2nd crash log) and the exact same thing happened == two rows of 100% then crash. Gigabyte provided me with a RMA without problem (probably since the card has a 3 year warranty). I had to order some anti-static bags to send the card back to Giagbyte which won't be here until next Monday or so. If you want me to duplicate a flight of yours to see if my card crashes where yours did, just let me know.

Regards,

P.

Edit: Also it can't be a temperature or power problem since the log entries for temp and TDP look fine.

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Increasing the power limit is not the same as increasing the voltage.  The power limit allows the GPU to exceed its design thermal design power by a specified margin.  Using an overclocking utility like MSI Afterburner, eVGA Precision, or nVidia Inspector, you can also specify a positive offset to be applied to the stock GPU voltage, which can stabilize things if it's running at the ragged edge of stability, which it sounds like it may be.  Sometimes just adding a few mV can make all the difference...I just had to do that with some RAM in a new build that would throw the occasional error until I bumped up the voltage just 15 mV over spec.

I feel for your plight with the card...but if the hardware is failing, then it's failing.  I buy eVGA cards exclusively to avoid the kinds of unhappiness you're having with the vendor and/or OEM.

Good luck!

What I meant was increasing ANYTHING including voltage to the card triggers a quick crash even if I have the power limit set power to stabilise Prepar3D. With everything also on default increasing the voltage triggers a crash even a small increase. I forgot to say earlier I did change the modular cables from the PSU a couple of months back after getting these crashes, it came with 6 cables so all original. These increases only affect P3D. On tests elsewhere I can increase the core by 100 the memory by even 400 and it runs fine on 3 different Futuremark benchmark tests on max settings. If I increase either by even a tiny 25mhz P3D crashes so go figure. How can all other apps or programs I have cope on tests with massive increases but the SIM cannot cope with even a tiny increase or even default? 😞 I'm just home so will attach a log and hopefully Rob or yourself can shed some light

37 minutes ago, pgde said:

Chris -- if you look closely at my log, you will see the exact same thing that you experienced == immediately before the crash, the GPU hit 100% for two rows and then crashed. And the GPU usage before that was relatively constant. I happened to be here starting a flight from PAJN (Juneau to Anchorage) to PANC and was just beginning a taxi to the active. Nothing should have caused the GPU to peak like that, other than a hardware problem (I made this flight a number of times with my 1070 without any problem). I also have had the card running at 100% (experimenting with Dynamic Lighting at night) without a crash. So, I wonder if something is broken on the card and the 100% reading is telling us there is a problem. I have done another log which I have posted here (2nd crash log) and the exact same thing happened == two rows of 100% then crash. Gigabyte provided me with a RMA without problem (probably since the card has a 3 year warranty). I had to order some anti-static bags to send the card back to Giagbyte which won't be here until next Monday or so. If you want me to duplicate a flight of yours to see if my card crashes where yours did, just let me know.

Regards,

P.

Edit: Also it can't be a temperature or power problem since the log entries for temp and TDP look fine.

Thanks I'll attach the log shortly. Nine occured during the day and at 20000 ft over the Alps. I wasn't even 'flying'. Due to long tests I have simply allowed aircraft to slew right across Europe and back at around 160 knots. It can still trigger a crash even if no input from myself. Crashes are entirely random so not replicable. By the way my card never even came in an anti static bag just a foam surround, inner box and outer box packaging

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Perhaps my PSU is actually buggered. Couple of times lately it's failed to start when pressing the power button but internal board lights still on so removing the power lead for 5 mins helps. A few times lately no power and no lights. I tried different lead and still nothing. I switched all off and left and eventually got it on but bios clock changed to 2025. I changed motherboard battery and all seemed well for few days but again tonight no power showing. Now I don't know if it's the PSU or the card at fault. Looks like I'm going to have to spend even more on upgrade. Had considered a 9900K build but need CPU, mb, bigger AIO cooler and new case now looks like need to add another £150 for a PSU. Been put off by stories of very high temps. Also busy till mid Jan so hadn't planned on a new build yet. Wondering if I should do a new build and retain 1080ti for testing rather than send it back and problem has always been PSU? I changed pcix cables in July after on one boot I got an error that the graphics card had no power. This was after started experiencing dxgi crashes

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

21 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

What I meant was increasing ANYTHING including voltage to the card triggers a quick crash even if I have the power limit set power to stabilise Prepar3D. With everything also on default increasing the voltage triggers a crash even a small increase. I forgot to say earlier I did change the modular cables from the PSU a couple of months back after getting these crashes, it came with 6 cables so all original. These increases only affect P3D. On tests elsewhere I can increase the core by 100 the memory by even 400 and it runs fine on 3 different Futuremark benchmark tests on max settings. If I increase either by even a tiny 25mhz P3D crashes so go figure. How can all other apps or programs I have cope on tests with massive increases but the SIM cannot cope with even a tiny increase or even default? 😞 I'm just home so will attach a log and hopefully Rob or yourself can shed some light

Was this the original video card in your system when Windows was last installed?  Have the drivers been upgraded?

In Prepar3D.cfg, make sure there is one and *only* one Display.Device.xxxx section and that it matches your GPU.

Then uninstall your video driver, followed by a boot into safe mode and a run of DDU to remove all remnants of the old driver installation, then reboot and reinstall the latest driver (with A/V turned off) and with the "clean" installation option selected.

Very conflicting data here...your descriptions of the P3D crashes is indicative of a hardware problem, but that's incongruent with the ability to do successful test runs of benchmarks.

Given the great expense of sending your video card back, a rebuild from the OS on up might be advisable as a second-to-last resort before sending the GPU back--after, of course, backing up the entire system.  Sometimes a corrupt system file can render all the normal fault checking drills useless. 

Regards

9 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Perhaps my PSU is actually buggered.

As I mentioned, that was my problem and it damaged my Corsair H 80 at

the same time. Luckily, it didn't break anything else.

My thinking was and is if the software has been ruled out, the problem is hardware.

I am however only operating on logic, not extensive and deep computer knowledge.

16 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Perhaps my PSU is actually buggered. Couple of times lately it's failed to start when pressing the power button but internal board lights still on so removing the power lead for 5 mins helps. A few times lately no power and no lights. I tried different lead and still nothing. I switched all off and left and eventually got it on but bios clock changed to 2025. I changed motherboard battery and all seemed well for few days but again tonight no power showing. Now I don't know if it's the PSU or the card at fault. Looks like I'm going to have to spend even more on upgrade. Had considered a 9900K build but need CPU, mb, bigger AIO cooler and new case now looks like need to add another £150 for a PSU. Been put off by stories of very high temps. Also busy till mid Jan so hadn't planned on a new build yet. Wondering if I should do a new build and retain 1080ti for testing rather than send it back and problem has always been PSU? I changed pcix cables in July after on one boot I got an error that the graphics card had no power. This was after started experiencing dxgi crashes

You could start by installing a new PSU suitable for your next build, whenever that might be, and go from there...if that's it, problem solved, if not, you're already one step closer to a new system.  Also, PSU testers are relatively cheap ($10-25)--a tool worth having around IMHO.

A weak PSU could certainly be the issue (hence my advice to watch voltages under load).  Still odd, though, that a benchmarking program would run, although maybe you didn't run it for long enough periods for the problem to emerge. 

13 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Was this the original video card in your system when Windows was last installed?  Have the drivers been upgraded?

In Prepar3D.cfg, make sure there is one and *only* one Display.Device.xxxx section and that it matches your GPU.

Then uninstall your video driver, followed by a boot into safe mode and a run of DDU to remove all remnants of the old driver installation, then reboot and reinstall the latest driver (with A/V turned off) and with the "clean" installation option selected.

Very conflicting data here...your descriptions of the P3D crashes is indicative of a hardware problem, but that's incongruent with the ability to do successful test runs of benchmarks.

Given the great expense of sending your video card back, a rebuild from the OS on up might be advisable as a second-to-last resort before sending the GPU back--after, of course, backing up the entire system.  Sometimes a corrupt system file can render all the normal fault checking drills useless. 

Regards

I've installed a good 4 operating systems since getting so many dxgi crashes from around June. One and only GPU used since last Nov. Get the crashes on fresh W10 with latest updates and all current graphics and hardware drivers, get the crash on an old 1703 build of W10 after seeing claims it's a Windows update problem. Get the crashes with the past 20 drivers all installed as a clean install and all after removing the previous driver with DDU in Safe Mode. Get the crashes on fresh ost install but allowing Windows to install drivers rather from I from Nvidia and Asus site for my board. Get the crash in Windows 8.1. Get the crash underclocking GPU. I have installed as a single OS installation but then as it was all affecting my business I created a partition on a 2nd drive and started creating a dual boot so that I could have a cleaner system for Prepar3D and run older or newer drivers and not affect my main operating system. All made zero difference.

Get crash running CPU and default. Get the crash running an entirely default SIM no add one, no shader modified like PTA, no weather, default plane, default settings etc. The ONLY and I mean ONLY thing that helps in any way is reducing Power Limit. It was only in a test of increasing it or voltage I realised that crashes occured faster if values increased.

Yes the card running fine on everything else even when overclocked to test has led to many a debate with Joe Young as for a long time I kept asking how can the card be faulty

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Your PSU is starting to smell like a 5-day old mackerel from where I sit...

7 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Your PSU is starting to smell like a 5-day old mackerel from where I sit...

Haha I went and grabbed another power cable plugged it in and motherboard lights flicked on for 1s then off again. I seriously need data off the pc for my business as not fully backed up and can't wait a week for a new psu and the time needed to rewire the whole thing. I've held off ordering a new build as unsure what mb to go for. Had a few Asus boards but seeing bad things about VRM temps on z390 boards. If I look in through top fan a red light is on to rear of board but power and reset lights not on so I can't power it up

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

You could start by installing a new PSU suitable for your next build, whenever that might be, and go from there...if that's it, problem solved, if not, you're already one step closer to a new system.  Also, PSU testers are relatively cheap ($10-25)--a tool worth having around IMHO.

A weak PSU could certainly be the issue (hence my advice to watch voltages under load).  Still odd, though, that a benchmarking program would run, although maybe you didn't run it for long enough periods for the problem to emerge. 

I think Bob this is the way I will have to go.  I have the money for a complete rebuild but something is making me hold back and I had figured perhaps Id last a bit longer with the 6700K etc.  I know nothing about electrical engineering so not into using testers etc as I do not know how to set up or understand readings.  Ive had the power lead unplugged for a good half hour and even held in the reset CMOS button but nothing is happening.  The red light I could see behind the motherboard seemed to be linked to a plugged in device, I unplugged the monitors and switched the wall plug off and the light went out, it did not come back on when plugged everything back in.  I am conscious we are starting to go off topic though the psu maybe linked to the graphic card issue throwing up a DXGI error as the no power cable warning for the gpu happened about a month after I started getting DXGI crashes so perhaps linked if it was starting to fail.  Ill get a new psu and possibly new motherboard and cpu etc now and then test the 1080ti and take it from there.  

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson