Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

14 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Hmm. Strange. I'll take a look. I've never selected a Profile in NCP. Where are they found? I've taken a look and don't see anything in the menus or sidebar about profiles.

If you really meant NVI, I don't use that with P3D4. Never found the need.

I never would have thought that the NCP or NVI settings would affect which slots I could use for 2-way SLI. There's nothing in the Asus mobo book about SLI, but searching for SLI links I found mention of both 2- and 3-way links for it.

Anyway, thanks, I'll check into that before opening up the case and moving cards around. I will be opening up and removing one soon in any case, as it seems only 2-way SLI is supported by P3D. I'll use the spare 1080Ti card to replace the 780Ti card in this internet & development/P3D testing PC.

Pete

Right - click on your desktop.

In the menu you should see Nvidia Control Panel (NCP).

In the 3D settings section as I mentioned above,  choose 'manage 3d settings'.

In the Program Settings Tab, 1.Select a program.. scroll down to the P3D profile Prepar3d.exe.

Make any change and save it.

Now select that profile again and choose the green Restore button, and Apply button below.

This ensures the profile is properly aligned with your cards.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I think I can prove that the problem is P3D.

I run P3D in VR. If I switch to virtual desktop after a while P3D will report device hung and I can close it.

But there is no interruption to the virtual desktop. There is no log entry for any reset of the video driver or oculus VR drivers. 

Matter of fact, I can still have the headset on, see that P3D has device hung and continue on the full VR experience on the virtual desktop without any interruption or loss of performance.

It is a clean P3D problem in my case.

I can hear you say:

"But if the VRAM space is corrupted only in the P3D area of the space, that wouldn't cause the driver to stop or reset. It doesn't prove that it is not a hardware problem".

But surely if the memory is corrupted in P3D space, the driver should pick this up and there should be some kind of notification of it at the driver level.

The driver thinks there is not a problem in the world which is matched by my own experience after the crash. The GPU carries on perfectly where it left off except that P3D reports that the device is hung but it clearly has not.

EDIT: More testing. I actually now think that when P3D reports that the device has hung it is merely saying that the VRAM memory has corrupted nothing more nothing less.

Edited by glider1

...also just remembered, there's an sli patch on the nvidia website - not sure if it's relevant.

Just now, SteveW said:

In the 3D settings section as I mentioned above,  choose 'manage 3d settings'.

In the Program Settings Tab, 1.Select a program.. scroll down to the P3D profile Prepar3d.exe.

Make any change and save it.

Yes, I see all that. But why make myself a profile if the PC is only ever used for P3D4, and I'm happily setting the main settings, not needing a profile?

I thought you were implying that P3D or nVidia came with a profile for P3D.

I can of course just make a change and save, but I've no need for a specific profile. and I have made changes. I tend to check things and set them again after each clean driver install or update.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

5 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...also just remembered, there's an sli patch on the nvidia website - not sure if it's relevant.

I didn't know that. I'll take a look. Thanks.

[LATER]

Can't seem to find it. Have you a link or a clue, please?

Wouldn't they have built this patch into the newer drivers by now?

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

2 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Yes, I see all that. But why make myself a profile if the PC is only ever used for P3D4, and I'm happily setting the main settings, not needing a profile?

I thought you were implying that P3D or nVidia came with a profile for P3D.

I can of course just make a change and save, but I've no need for a specific profile. and I have made changes. I tend to check things and set them again after each clean driver install or update.

Pete

Yes, also restore apply the main setting first. Use the program setting and restore apply it as well to ensure it is not part of your problem - it's simply a check on the route to a possible problem solved.

After making changes to the system or installing new drivers, it is possible that the data in those settings can cause a host of odd problems. SO always Restore/Apply the 3D section in NCP before setting up.

Typical problems emanating from errors in the NCP Profile emerge as for example odd timing causing half fps output swinging to full fps. Problems with multiple monitor settings. Other problems are from aliasing not working properly. The list is along one.

Protip for anyone who is testing this device hung error.

Don't change any video settings in P3D unless you restart P3D first.

In the debug phase the only clue so far is if I change vsync or fps limit settings inside P3D and then return, I am more likely to get the device hung problem.

It is probably not the cause but a good step in testing.

It also makes sense not to change settings since it is a test of the GPU under absolutely consistent conditions in order to try and reproduce what I think is memory corruption problem.

Edited by glider1

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Hi  Pete  have you try  this..., that worked for me 

Browse to and then click the following registry subkey: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
- On the Edit menu, click New, and select the QWORD (64-bit) value from the drop-down menu,
- Type ‘TdrLevel’ as the Name and click Enter,
- Double-click TdrLevel and set the value as 0 (it is set to that by default, but double check) and click OK,
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer for the changes to take effect!

Edited by charleslee201

That just masks the problem due to the fact it is for debugging so that it can be tested in certain situations.

Ok more testing. When P3D reports device hung in the system event viewer there are some event 12, UserModePowerService faults which may or may not cause the VR driver to reset. The weird part is that the display is never lost even with the faults it is just that P3D reports a device hung which is probably exactly what it is supposed to do.

So P3D is in the clear it has got to be something else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I didn't know that. I'll take a look. Thanks.

[LATER]

Can't seem to find it. Have you a link or a clue, please?

Wouldn't they have built this patch into the newer drivers by now?

Pete

I see what you mean about the profile - when I said factory default the P3D profile I mean default the one you actually use for it. But I would try leaving the main one defaulted and set up the P3D profile, making sure that's started with the freshening method I mentioned.

The sli.fix I think was the first main link as you entered the site, may have changed by now it changes a lot. You would have to check with them if it's relevant - may have been for some particular game rather than all things.

Yes, won't be P3D per-se, will be down to an error in the way a function is called, perhaps with a badly formed or sized data struct or handing it a duff texture....

After eliminating the possibility of a profile error, I would then drop settings so that detailed architecture is not presented at airports, and test again. If it stops the problem look into the airport scenery as an extended setting can bring items into view lesser settings do not.

Edited by SteveW

7 hours ago, charleslee201 said:

Browse to and then click the following registry subkey: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
- On the Edit menu, click New, and select the QWORD (64-bit) value from the drop-down menu,
- Type ‘TdrLevel’ as the Name and click Enter,
- Double-click TdrLevel and set the value as 0 (it is set to that by default, but double check) and click OK,
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer for the changes to take effect!

Yes, I did that a while ago, when I first saw this tip. I had already set it as a DWORD, to o avail, then to a QWORD when I saw the later suggestion. It should still be s't somehow reverted.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

The sli.fix I think was the first main link as you entered the site, may have changed by now it changes a lot.

nVidia.com is a fancy page with a menu starting with "Platforms". Of the top menu the most likely I thought was either "Drivers" or "Support",. Both lead to lots of other links, but none prove relevant to SLI.

After eliminating the possibility of a profile error, I would then drop settings so that detailed architecture is not presented at airports, and test again. If it stops the problem look into the airport scenery as an extended setting can bring items into view lesser settings do not.

Yes, I already know that it only occurs when I'm heavily loading the graphics / P3D. It occurs at EGLL with traffic, and is most likely at dusk or night (night has always been a terrible performer for me. Don't know why when most of the scenery is blacked out).

But the point is that I never used to have the DXGI problems and I've been using the same scenery for a long time (UK2000 or Aerosoft EGLL). Both are the most testing places I've got, which is why I use them for testing! If everything is okay there I then know it will be okay everywhere else.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson