Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

3 hours ago, Cruachan said:

We have accepted that the silicon lottery can dictate how effectively a chip can be overclocked

Mike

In the future if you ever build another PC use a company ironically called Silicon Lottery https://siliconlottery.com/  to purchase your chip from.They test and sort the chips and you get the guaranteed overclock you want, for a price. I have been part of 3 builds recently using them and couldn't be happier and they delid the chips as well.

Joe

• Upvote 2

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

On 12/8/2018 at 4:31 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Not sure whether a static voltage test, without the PSU being under load, tells you much. It's whether it can sustain them under load. Can those values be displayed at such times?

Incidentally, my DXGI problem probably isn't GPU related as it can happen with either of two cards.  I suppose it could be PSU related, but I'm still more inclined to think it is in the area of P3D/Windows/nVidia.

So far it hasn't happened since cleaning the video driver with DDU and installing the latest (471.22, at least the latest a couple of days ago).  But then I haven't had time to do a lot of testing.

Pete

Hey Pete -- just out of curiosity are you running Littlenavmap when in P3D and have the error? I am still waiting for the RMA results from Gigabyte on my 1080ti.

Happy Holidays!

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:24 AM, glider1 said:

If this this theory is true, it should never happen on default installations on default scenery and planes on default settings, but apparently it does, and people also know that their GPU is not faulty. It could be that something external is putting pressure on the CPU thread pushing it over the edge which is still causing the device_hung flag to wave.

One of my earliest, out of 100s of tests, was a completely new Windows 10 installation and a default sim.  No addons, no Windows updates, no Google Chrome downloaded either and I still got DXGI crashes.  Coulg even get them just sitting on the runway.  Sorry I've not been on much this week to being a victim of a crime so haven't fully caught up on the thread but wanted to reply to this comment.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 hour ago, pgde said:

Hey Pete -- just out of curiosity are you running Littlenavmap when in P3D and have the error?

No. There are other (background) processes, like UTLive, ASP4 and Prosim737, but no other people-used displays than the P3D on the 210 FOV curved screen. The PC is dedicated to P3D. Most things like EFB, FS-FlightControl, Pilot2ATC, and all the ProSim displays and so on are on separate networked PCs -- I use 7 PCs (most of them mini-PCs like Z-Boxes) for my cockpit.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

6 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

One of my earliest, out of 100s of tests, was a completely new Windows 10 installation and a default sim.  No addons, no Windows updates, no Google Chrome downloaded either and I still got DXGI crashes.  Coulg even get them just sitting on the runway.  Sorry I've not been on much this week to being a victim of a crime so haven't fully caught up on the thread but wanted to reply to this comment.

Chris

Try Jim and Rob's suggestion of reducing the GPU core clock speed down to get it more stable. Definitely no overclock. So far it is working for me but there is still more testing to do.

EDIT: the brand new 2080 card I have passed all normal stress tests at the OC frequency of 2100MHz but it was not stable in P3D. I dropped it to 1800MHz and so far so good. Best wishes with it.

Edited by glider1

On 12/13/2018 at 4:04 PM, Aweless said:

I don't know if there are people who still deal with this error. I have solved this issue long time ago and i think i should state my experience here. It may or may not help in your case but worth to give a shot, in may case i have locked my gpu clock speeds at it's max (in stock speeds not OC). and i no longer got dxgi error device hung or removed error And the reason when i launch p3d at start up screen or in flight at random place or at any time gpu was pulling it self to p8 states idle speeds at 139mhz suddenly and back to p0 state to 1974mhz and in this very short period p3d was collapsing. locking the gpu clocks solved my issue for p3d. in other games at default clock speeds i don't get any error because gpu knows there is something going on that gpu have to handle but when it comes to p3d gpu doesn't know what to do.

Im curious to know how you lock the clock speeds? I understand you can do it for the processor so that it always runs at its max but I wasn't aware its possible for the gpu.  I would be keen to test it.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

7 hours ago, glider1 said:

Try Jim and Rob's suggestion of reducing the GPU core clock speed down to get it more stable. Definitely no overclock. So far it is working for me but there is still more testing to do.

EDIT: the brand new 2080 card I have passed all normal stress tests at the OC frequency of 2100MHz but it was not stable in P3D. I dropped it to 1800MHz and so far so good. Best wishes with it.

That along with removing an overclock on the cpu was one of the first things I tested and all proved futile in past tests Im afraid.  I recall lowering both the core and memory clock speeds by about 150mhz so that the boosted clock speed never exceeded the non factory overclocked speeds - 1607mhz I think

Chris 

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Im curious to know how you lock the clock speeds? I understand you can do it for the processor so that it always runs at its max but I wasn't aware its possible for the gpu.  I would be keen to test it.

Chris

i locked via msi afterburner.  run it and on msi screen press CTRL+F  and then a new screen will pop up called voltage frequency curve editor on the editor screen pick one of the range which you wish one of between first square and the last one (don't change the curve) and click on the square which you picked then press L on the keyboard then click apply on MSI AB you can also save it to a profile. here is i made a short video: (I don't know whether this method work on your gpu model. in my case once i locked the clocks no matter i go idle clocks won't change) If you can't lock just because of your gpu model try nvidiapowermizermanager if you can find it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aweless said:

i locked via msi afterburner.  run it and on msi screen press CTRL+F  and then a new screen will pop up called voltage frequency curve editor on the editor screen pick one of the range which you wish one of between first square and the last one (don't change the curve) and click on the square which you picked then press L on the keyboard then click apply on MSI AB you can also save it to a profile. here is i made a short video: (I don't know whether this method work on your gpu model. in my case once i locked the clocks no matter i go idle clocks won't change) If you can't lock just because of your gpu model try nvidiapowermizermanager if you can find it.

I’ve not seen this technique used. Essentially what’s going on with our GPU’s is what’s called GPU Boost just like our CPU processors. We all learned how to turn off our CPU “boost” which can throttle our CPU up and down to save energy but modifying our bios settings, to my knowledge this can’t be done with our GPU.

I have wondered for a while if this was a contributing factor as some found the CPU throttling up and down in the past to cause stability issues but not this new terrible issue though.

I hope this method, although a bit brute force, sheds some light!

Good Luck

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Aweless said:

Thanks for this, i googled it earlier and seen a video. I did notice it resumes normal behavarior if I close or restart Afterburner.  Ill look at your video.  Mine still fluctuates a little.  When I pick the dot furtherest to the right on the curve it says 2025 mhz but in Afterburner it jumps about between 1980-2025 and has dropped down to 1770 min according to GPU-Z so its not locking completely.  The only 'fix' that worked for me was reducing the gpu Power Limit to 70 or 75%, 100% guarantees a crash so testing now at 100%

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

1 minute ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Thanks for this, i googled it earlier and seen a video. I did notice it resumes normal behavarior if I close or restart Afterburner.  Ill look at your video.  Mine still fluctuates a little.  When I pick the dot furtherest to the right on the curve it says 2025 mhz but in Afterburner it jumps about between 1980-2025 and has dropped down to 1770 min according to GPU-Z so its not locking completely.  The only 'fix' that worked for me was reducing the gpu Power Limit to 70 or 75%, 100% guarantees a crash so testing now at 100%

To understand if MSI AB lock your clocks, apply your changes then exit any other apps such as steam and gfe and check your gpu p states via nvidia inspector and actually compare this to default settings my point is here keeping the gpu work above idle clock speeds. in my situation idle gpu clock speeds were which is P8 that pulling clocks down to 139 MHZ when i move the mouse cursor or  run any small 3d process it switches to 1620 MHZ which is defined as base speeds under heavy load it boosts to 1974 MHZ on default profile. So you should compare and make sure gpu clocks never goes down to idle state to eliminate the issue you are having with sim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aweless said:

To understand if MSI AB lock your clocks, apply your changes then exit any other apps such as steam and gfe and check your gpu p states via nvidia inspector and actually compare this to default settings my point is here keeping the gpu work above idle clock speeds. in my situation idle gpu clock speeds were which is P8 that pulling clocks down to 139 MHZ when i move the mouse cursor or  run any small 3d process it switches to 1620 MHZ which is defined as base speeds under heavy load it boosts to 1974 MHZ on default profile. So you should compare and make sure gpu clocks never goes down to idle state to eliminate the issue you are having with sim.

Sadly this didnt work for me 😞

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Agree with Rob and Jim, a badly set overclock can chop up the data and maybe only when certain sequences are received. But it is effectively a car crash that can be caused by anything. So worn out memory whatever the OC will do it, poor connection to the card, poor PSU stability under the fluctuating load, poor situation in the data... Hopefully for most it can be controlled by altering the GPU OC.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I seem to remember that when you plugged and played your sons 1080 into your system the error was completely eliminated is that true?

4 hours ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Ok. i am feeling really bad anything related to this error. but if your card is new and still under warranty and if you are sure that this isn't psu issue i would suggest you to test your gpu on another pc depending on result RMA it or request new one. this may even be related with the motherboard who knows? God knows whats going on inside those chips and circuits. but the interesting thing in  my case this problem comes up with p3d only. my gpu is already out of warranty so i don't mind locking gpu clocks. actually before this solution i wanted to enable igpu feature in bios then with two hdmi plugged to the same monitor and enabling extend display feature so the p3d can recognize both integrated and discrete card and just test it this way. i will do this with clock speeds set to default this time and report back here.