Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

27 minutes ago, Aweless said:

in 17 minutes 1.5 gb of data logged that's crazy to trace the seed of the issue so lets hope dxgi comes less than in an hour. happy ghost bustings 🙂

Just make sure you immediately write down the computer time when it crashes.  You'll only have to look at that one minute.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Just make sure you immediately write down the computer time when it crashes.  You'll only have to look at that one minute.

Ok it's crashed while the monitor was capturing the system time was 8:31 by the time crash. but there are too many entries logged between 31 to 32 i am still looking into it and the only entry unusual and not similar to the others is ''BUFFER OVERFLOW'' and this result not associated only with one path. 

See the video i was streaming at the time crash happened watch starting from 4:29

Edited by Aweless
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Unfortunately, that has been suggested before to this member by many and not a solution.  If you look in our CTD Forums (pinned topics), you will see many posts by Cj and he wants to overclock his GPU because he paid for it and it is high end and refuses to allow this error to stop him for using his "powerful" GPU with higher settings and it is only the fault of LM and they need to fix their program immediately.  There is no solution for him and there never will be one.  I have worked with him for a long time and I am finished wasting my time.  Just let him continue to blame LM for his woes.  I get more and more upset reading his issues over and over again to different people who all tell him the same thing and his only response is mostly, "sadly, this didnt work for me".

Jim I NEVER overclock my gpu for P3D yet you keep saying that...why is that, is it to add credence to your CTD Guide as being the likely cause?  I have always stated that even when it is run on default or underclocked speeds it still fails in P3D yet like so many on this thread it works perfectly fine on everything else. Are other members subject to these same belittling comments as I dont see it? Others have changed or purchased the latest hardware yet still have this crash...are they all faulty too?  I only ever stated I did test overclocks on other stress tests just to prove the card appears to run perfectly well and not crash or overheat. You also keep stating I demand higher settings because I bought an expensive card...again untrue as the crashes also occured on an entirely default installation on default settings with zero addons installed or running. Even Time Spy brought Rob's pc to its knees yet mine passed at 4K on its extreme stress test using default gpu speeds...please explain how my gpu, cpu or system did not fail?  Its a Inno3D card and will have to be returned to Hong Kong.  I seriously doubt they will test the card on Prepar3D so an RMA will probably be a waste of time given every single other program runs fine and passes tests.  If it could be returned locally I'd do it but due to there being no UK or European place to return it to it means at least a 4-6 week turnaround and the costs of carriage which is non refundable.  It needs returned to the retailer first (Overclockers.co.uk) who then return it to Inno if they approve the return for checking.  I will raise an RMA in the new year but then what if they said there's nothing wrong with it? A possible waste of time, waste of money, business affected unless I buy another cheap card or use the onboard graphics which may not run software I need for my business etc etc

23 hours ago, glider1 said:

I seem to remember that when you plugged and played your sons 1080 into your system the error was completely eliminated is that true?

Yes that was a different card and may fall into the lucky ones unaffected, and yes it may be a tiniest of faults in my own card that no other piece of software experiences so the question is why does no other piece of software, no other stress test detect any form of faults? I was only able to test my sons 1080 for 6 hours because he was only home from university for 2 days and I only briefly had access to his card.  6 hours isnt really enough as Ive had the crash after 14 hr tests, it is so random. Why can my system pass Time Spy on its 4K Extreme stress test yet P3D and only it fails and its not graphically intensive at all? That is why I have little faith in an expensive and very lengthy RMA process because they will not be using a sim that so few use to run tests.  I will start an RMA after Christmas but given so many experience this crash including yourself with a brand new 2080 it leaves me extremely sceptical we all have hardware failures, this again reinforces my belief that the software, whether its LM, nVidia or Microsoft's Direct X has something in it which is not liking the tiniest of glitches our hardware may throw at it.  I dont know anyone else personally who uses P3D to test in their computers so Im on my own, in fact I only know one other guy with a gaming pc and he uses XP11.  I'm tired of being blamed for this fault on this forum and accused of overclocking my hardware then wondering why the sim crashes.  Anyone with the tiniest hint of intelligence would remove all overclocks, restore all settings to default and then reinstall Windows all of which I have done with no luck.  

The fact that Admin here has to create such an extensive Crash to Desktop guide demonstrates P3D and FSX before it are such an unstable platforms.  I've worked in Autocad for over 20 years and also with Photoshop and they very rarely crash

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

8 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Its a Inno3D card and will have to be returned to Hong Kong

Hi cj just letting you know this might be a sign for us and my card also brand inno3D x4 and i am facing this issue too in p3d strangely. i hope i can find a way to eliminate this by the support of process monitor. have you ever run the process monitor while p3d get this error and i think we can compare our monitoring results and see what differences are there in the logs.

10 minutes ago, Aweless said:

Hi cj just letting you know this might be a sign for us and my card also brand inno3D x4 and i am facing this issue too in p3d strangely. i hope i can find a way to eliminate this by the support of process monitor. have you ever run the process monitor while p3d get this error and i think we can compare our monitoring results and see what differences are there in the logs.

I looked through the event log in detail but there is no mention of the GPU 2080 hanging or stopping responding at the time P3D reports the device_hung. Since in VR there is no driver crash and no interruption to the VR experience (it would be impossible not to see it) when P3D goes into hang, I STRONGLY suspect it has to be a memory corruption in VRAM inside P3D memory address space inside the card and it is random.

Do you know of a way to do a reliability test on just the GPU's VRAM nothing else? What card do you have a brand new 1080ti?

Ok now i can confirm the exact time when the dxgi came. i figured by watching my streamed video. when the time second was stepping to 31 from 30 i started count till dxgi appear and it came after 45 seconds and there is only one unique event logged at that time is ''BUFFER TOO SMALL'' associated with this path: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Notifications\41C61629A3BC60B5

here is a SS: https://prnt.sc/lvr5k8

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Do you know of a way to do a reliability test on just the GPU's VRAM nothing else? What card do you have a brand new 1080ti?

The only reliable way to test is p3d, from now on i consider all the benchmark tools are trash. My card is Gtx 1070 ichill inno3D x4.

31 minutes ago, Aweless said:

The only reliable way to test is p3d, from now on i consider all the benchmark tools are trash. My card is Gtx 1070 ichill inno3D x4.

I might still do a comprehensive VRAM test just to rule out card once and for all.

40 minutes ago, Aweless said:

Ok now i can confirm the exact time when the dxgi came. i figured by watching my streamed video. when the time second was stepping to 31 from 30 i started count till dxgi appear and it came after 45 seconds and there is only one unique event logged at that time is ''BUFFER TOO SMALL'' associated with this path: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Notifications\41C61629A3BC60B5

Great find! At least it is a lead! It might be something we can show to LM.

2 hours ago, Aweless said:

i am still looking into it and the only entry unusual and not similar to the others is ''BUFFER OVERFLOW'' and this result not associated only with one path. 

Well, this might indicate bad software programming or you have a virus - https://www.veracode.com/security/buffer-overflow

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Aweless said:

I've been following and engaging with this thread in a hope that some common software or other technical issue will come to light, Pete is one of the most respected developers in this field and I always hoped he would find a way of catching the error as its so similiar to the old G3D.dll crashes.  If its simply 'your card is faulty'  then each and everyone of us might as well give up on this thread and go out and buy a new card or get those RMA's requested. I've just seen so many with this crash (especially on Facebook groups) to believe 100% we have hardware failure.  I think the fact that we have a huge guide on crashes just shows it's not a stable platform for many and I resent that its always blamed on user error.  I really dont want to RMA it due to having to go to bloody Hong Kong but they would need to do more strenuous tests than simply running off the shelf stress tests otherwise it will show up as being fine and be returned straight back to me.  Ive learnt a lesson when I bought this card and that is despite buying from the largest UK Retailer to make sure there is support in the UK should something go wrong.  RMA will have to wait to the new year

Chris

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

9 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I've been following and engaging with this thread in a hope that some common software or other technical issue will come to light, Pete is one of the most respected developers in this field and I always hoped he would find a way of catching the error as its so similiar to the old G3D.dll crashes.  If its simply 'your card is faulty'  then each and everyone of us might as well give up on this thread and go out and buy a new card or get those RMA's requested. I've just seen so many with this crash (especially on Facebook groups) to believe 100% we have hardware failure.  I think the fact that we have a huge guide on crashes just shows it's not a stable platform for many and I resent that its always blamed on user error.  I really dont want to RMA it due to having to go to bloody Hong Kong but they would need to do more strenuous tests than simply running off the shelf stress tests otherwise it will show up as being fine and be returned straight back to me.  Ive learnt a lesson when I bought this card and that is despite buying from the largest UK Retailer to make sure there is support in the UK should something go wrong.  RMA will have to wait to the new year

Chris

What it difficult makes to troubleshoot is the fault generated by the O/S it's a general one regarding GPU bus is timing out...

This event can have several reasons to name a view:

- Faulty hardware
- Driver - hardware combination
- Driver version
- To high settings in the simulator which cause an overload on the GPU bus....
- Faulty software
- Since I left 32bit in favour of 64 bit it doesn't occur local any more.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to pin point the error local.

• Like 1

André

And then you do an RMA go through all the time and waste of resources all through the supply chain to get a replacement card, put it back in your machine, then optimistically say to yourself and on the forums that it is fixed because you want to believe it badly and it seems all good after all that hassle but it is random then BANG you get it again down the track. Now do you do another RMA again?

I really don't want to go there if possible.

....and another crash urghhhh. I seriously need a secondary pc again. Running p3d and toggling desktop apps together for flt planning is a mighty pain. Curse my blasted cat for knocking over and breaking my other pc used for flt planning...sigh! 😡

Edited by SKIPS2

those having this problem of app switching and device hung, have you tried setting full screen compatibility for Prepar3D.exe?

46 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

those having this problem of app switching and device hung, have you tried setting full screen compatibility for Prepar3D.exe?

Hi Rob what is your opinion on this:

7 hours ago, Aweless said:

Thanks