Pete Dowson

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Incidentally, my DXGI problem probably isn't GPU related as it can happen with either of two cards.  I suppose it could be PSU related, but I'm still more inclined to think it is in the area of P3D/Windows/nVidia.

A lot of games show this error on various systems, it comes and goes, same on AMD and Nvidia cards. It comes and goes because it's usually down to a problem presented in the data heading to it. 

Eliminate the possibility of configuration problems first in NCP. Then eliminate the possibility of an airport item or certain architecture being the cause by reducing the scenery settings.

Edited by SteveW

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

...Remember that cleaning and upgrading the driver situation usually does the trick of factory defaulting. However it can still pick up old profile.

On the NVidia site there was a button last week with "sli patch", I didn't go there to see what it was.

Pete, do you do anything else on the PC running P3D when this happens? I've noticed my PC is much more likely to give me this error if I'm doing something else on the PC at the same time, be this using Chrome or opening a PDF. I've yet to try a "proper" clean with DDU but sometimes it'll crash as soon as I open a PDF - I'm wondering if it's something to do with P3D losing focus, at least on my end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, squerble said:

Pete, do you do anything else on the PC running P3D when this happens? I've noticed my PC is much more likely to give me this error if I'm doing something else on the PC at the same time, be this using Chrome or opening a PDF. I've yet to try a "proper" clean with DDU but sometimes it'll crash as soon as I open a PDF - I'm wondering if it's something to do with P3D losing focus, at least on my end.

That's what I'm talking about. Pete should factory default the main page and use a P3D specific profile. The P3D system is basically running on the desktop with all those browser windows. Not sure if it's his problem but to fail to eliminate the possibility in the first place is a mistake.

I replaced the PSU for nothing!

New PSU, new GPU (2080).

Passes all the stress tests.

Still a random DEVICE HUNG!

Sh#$%*$%

I think I might have got it once on 4.3 a few months ago,

But on 4.4 it is every second flying session what gives?

On 12/4/2018 at 5:19 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Only recently (since P3D4.3, and still with P3D4.4) I started to get these DXGI device has hung messages. Originally, when they started, they only occurred at dusk or at night. But I've just tried re-enabling my FTX England scenery to see what it looks like in version 4.4.

Now the crash occurs in the daytime, 100% consistently, within a couple of minutes of the scenario starting up (my default, at UK2000's EGCC).

The GPUs (I have 3 x 1080Ti's in SLI formation) are never loaded to more than 45% (according to Task Manager), so I don't understand what is going on. Is this a P3D problem, or an nVidia driver problem? The error report appears to be from P3D. I have tried various nVidia drivers, Currently I'm on 416.94.

My installation is pretty well loaded up with addons as well as Orbx, but I tried with the FTC OpenLC Europe disabled, and with all my UTX layers disabled too, to no avail. With no FTX Europe regions enabled all is well -- for daytime flying. I can't use it at night because of the same errors.

I'll ask on the P3D forum too. I need a solution, or my Orbx purchases are useless (I have all of the FTX Europe country regions and was looking forward to trying them, but I can't get passed the first couple of minutes after loading).

Whilst awaiting answers I'll continue experimenting. Things to try:

1. Disabling SLI
2. Changing drivers yet again (go for the latest first ...
3. ... er: there is no 3 ... yet.

Thanks,
Pete

Well, on the AVSIM CTD forum, I'm the one who actually posted about this as well on the CTD forum. 

But, I had a faulty addon, (plus it was p3d v3.4!) and I don't have and will never have the money for SLI.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:29 AM, Pete Dowson said:

I'm seeing it loaded up to 90% in heavy situations

That's happening with my GTX 1070! (I guess it is normal!)

All I can say is that, just use 2 of the cards, and if framerate is over 30, then don't even bother. 

You can't really tell the difference between 30 FPS, and 165 FPS, with your bare eye, so if it's more than 30 FPS, you should be happy with that! (Especially in dense situations!)

Edited by arwasairl