Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error: Is there a solution?

1 hour ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Haha I went and grabbed another power cable plugged it in and motherboard lights flicked on for 1s then off again.

This is normal after a full power down (i.e. PSU unplugged or switch in Off position), did you wait a few seconds more, it should automatically attempt to power on again.

If you suspect the PSU and can get the PC to fire back up, if you run Time Spy (3D Mark) it will most definitely stress out your CPU and GPU (well beyond anything P3D can do) ... during my many Time Spy tests it would draw so much power that the APC UPS/line conditioner that I plug my PC into, would trigger and the APC's fan would start up as it attempts to compensate for power draw during the GPU tests.

Time Spy is a beast of a testing/performance software, I could pass every other test I tossed at it, but Time Spy would uncover stability issues that all other tests wouldn't.

Cheers, Rob. 

One more observation -- I have been running GPU-Z on top of P3D just to see what is happening. Of course, I haven't had a DXGI fault since I requested the RMA :) The power consumption on the card is all over the place -- bounces on one second intervals between 30% to 80%+ TDP. That is with a GPU load of 37%. Since this is the first time I have ever monitored in this situation, I need to ask is this expected behavior? If not, are the on-card power components working correctly? Just as I have been sitting here typing with a paused P3D in the background, TDP% ranged from 43.9 to 82.3. My PC power supply is a P&C Power and Cooling Gold 750W Silencer.

Regards,

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

52 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

This is normal after a full power down (i.e. PSU unplugged or switch in Off position), did you wait a few seconds more, it should automatically attempt to power on again.

If you suspect the PSU and can get the PC to fire back up, if you run Time Spy (3D Mark) it will most definitely stress out your CPU and GPU (well beyond anything P3D can do) ... during my many Time Spy tests it would draw so much power that the APC UPS/line conditioner that I plug my PC into, would trigger and the APC's fan would start up as it attempts to compensate for power draw during the GPU tests.

Time Spy is a beast of a testing/performance software, I could pass every other test I tossed at it, but Time Spy would uncover stability issues that all other tests wouldn't.

Cheers, Rob. 

The PSU has definitely failed Rob, its been left unplugged for about an hour and still doesnt show any life whatsoever, the other cable is the same so there isnt a blown fuse in the plug (unsure how plugs are in US but here they have a 13 amp fuse).  Looks like a new one is needed and I might as well order a new build while Im at it though would need to temporarily wire up the current system with a new PSU to be able to back it all up and deactivate Prepar3D in case I need to do a format with the new cpu and MB?  Can I just briefly ask you about that give your expertise?  I have Windows 10 Pro, it was the free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro a few years back.  It has a digital signature linked to my hardware.  Ive reinstalled it a number of times using an up to date ISO from MS and it has activated fine online.  If I change cpu and motherboard will it then fail the activation?  As I do not have any product keys for Windows 10 what are my options? Do you deactivate my current build prior to building a new one or how will it know Im the same person?

Chris

23 minutes ago, pgde said:

One more observation -- I have been running GPU-Z on top of P3D just to see what is happening. Of course, I haven't had a DXGI fault since I requested the RMA 🙂 The power consumption on the card is all over the place -- bounces on one second intervals between 30% to 80%+ TDP. That is with a GPU load of 37%. Since this is the first time I have ever monitored in this situation, I need to ask is this expected behavior? If not, are the on-card power components working correctly? Just as I have been sitting here typing with a paused P3D in the background, TDP% ranged from 43.9 to 82.3. My PC power supply is a P&C Power and Cooling Gold 750W Silencer.

Regards,

P.

Sadly as I can no longer power up my own system as the PSU appears to have gone kaput I cant access the log file GPU-Z did for me this afternoon to compare

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

Chris -- if it fails activation you can call MS and they can do it for you. That happened to me when I built this PC.

My condolences for your PS.

P.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

41 minutes ago, pgde said:

Chris -- if it fails activation you can call MS and they can do it for you. That happened to me when I built this PC.

My condolences for your PS.

P.

Good to hear.  I used to always reinstall Windows when doing a new build but guessing first need to run the current OS on the new hardware, sort out the activation then possibly format the system? Just worried about drivers etc and possible issues?

EDIT

I just plugged power cable back in and turned psu switch to on..lights on MB flicked on briefly again then off.  I then wiggled main power lead where it connects to the motherboard and all lights came on, system now powers up just as I started making a new shopping list for new system. 

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

47 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Looks like a new one is needed and I might as well order a new build while Im at it though would need to temporarily wire up the current system with a new PSU to be able to back it all up and deactivate Prepar3D in case I need to do a format with the new cpu and MB?  Can I just briefly ask you about that give your expertise?

Once you get your new PSU, deactive P3D (and any other software you have installed like PMDG aircraft, etc.) ... so long as you have a retail license (Win7+) then shouldn't be a problem with reactivation of Win10 on a new MB/CPU install ... my understanding is activation counts are flushed every 6 months anyway.  If you do have a problem with activation, you can contact MS here: https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Did you mention what brand PSU you have?  They do fail, even the higher range PSUs do fail ... I've had a couple of higher end PSUs fail on me, one was PC Power and Cooling 1000Watt and the other was an EVGA 1200Watt ... more common failure is the fan in the PSU fails, this causes the PSU to overheat over time and triggers component failure.  I've also damaged a PSU using the wrong modular cable ... stuff happens.  On the plus side, if the DEVICE HUNG issue is just your PSU, then that's a cheaper fix and might hold you over until you're ready for a full build.

On another side note, a bad PSU can actually damage components (MBs, GPUs, etc.) ... sadly I don't really have a recommendation on PSU brands, my experience with PSU failures covers the low end PSU to very high end PSU ... even feeding the PSU with a true sine wave line conditioner and backup APC didn't help save them.

Cheers, Rob.

9 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Once you get your new PSU, deactive P3D (and any other software you have installed like PMDG aircraft, etc.) ... so long as you have a retail license (Win7+) then shouldn't be a problem with reactivation of Win10 on a new MB/CPU install ... my understanding is activation counts are flushed every 6 months anyway.  If you do have a problem with activation, you can contact MS here: https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Did you mention what brand PSU you have?  They do fail, even the higher range PSUs do fail ... I've had a couple of higher end PSUs fail on me, one was PC Power and Cooling 1000Watt and the other was an EVGA 1200Watt ... more common failure is the fan in the PSU fails, this causes the PSU to overheat over time and triggers component failure.  I've also damaged a PSU using the wrong modular cable ... stuff happens.  On the plus side, if the DEVICE HUNG issue is just your PSU, then that's a cheaper fix and might hold you over until you're ready for a full build.

On another side note, a bad PSU can actually damage components (MBs, GPUs, etc.) ... sadly I don't really have a recommendation on PSU brands, my experience with PSU failures covers the low end PSU to very high end PSU ... even feeding the PSU with a true sine wave line conditioner and backup APC didn't help save them.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes I think the Windows 7 Pro was retail, it came in a large plastic box and cardboard sleeve about book size.  Whilst you were typing your reply I edited my last comment as PSU is working again, the on board lights flickered again when I plugged the cord in.  I then touched the 24 pin connector where it connects to the MB and all MB lights lit up, pressing the power on button system booted up.  Ive been diagnosing cooling issues and moving the AIO cooler about  over the last few days so I may have knocked the power connection though did have power and boot issues just before that I think.  From memory I also might have pulled it out and reconnected it when recently fitting new SSD's and Sata drives and generally reconfiguring drive bays a little.  Its now thrown a spanner in the works regarding the faulty GPU and DXGI crashes as I had started to hope the PSU was the cause.  Its a 1000W OCZ ZX Series Gold 80 I think got in 2011.  The retail version of the 9900K is now £525 on Overclockers where I believe you bought yours so I might just go the whole hog and change as much as I can now, might just order a new PSU as well.  Ive held back as concerned of heat of the 9900K, currently have a Corsair H100i v2 which is 240mm long.  Might buy a 360mm unit H150 i think and a new case

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

4 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Yes I think the Windows 7 Pro was retail, it came in a large plastic box and cardboard sleeve about book size.  Whilst you were typing your reply I edited my last comment as PSU is working again, the on board lights flickered again when I plugged the cord in.  I then touched the 24 pin connector where it connects to the MB and all MB lights lit up, pressing the power on button system booted up.  Ive been diagnosing cooling issues and moving the AIO cooler about  over the last few days so I may have knocked the power connection though did have power and boot issues just before that I think.  From memory I also might have pulled it out and reconnected it when recently fitting new SSD's and Sata drives and generally reconfiguring drive bays a little.  Its now thrown a spanner in the works regarding the faulty GPU and DXGI crashes as I had started to hope the PSU was the cause.  Its a 1000W OCZ ZX Series Gold 80 I think got in 2011.  The retail version of the 9900K is now £525 on Overclockers where I believe you bought yours so I might just go the whole hog and change as much as I can now, might just order a new PSU as well.  Ive held back as concerned of heat of the 9900K, currently have a Corsair H100i v2 which is 240mm long.  Might buy a 360mm unit H150 i think and a new case

Chris

You could write a book on your trials and tribulations over the past couple months regarding these issues.

Good Luck

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

After some testing and talking with an nVidia rep, I may have solved my problem... I hope. Before talking to the nVidia rep, I unplugged my GPU and reseated it. Then I contacted the rep before testing my sim (whoops) and they looked over some windows info they had me send them. They suggested I download and run the .NET Framework update (4.7.2). I did and it stated I already had it installed so I selected the repair option. Well, after that, I've been running the sim at the same spot, same aircraft, and same day/time where I had my crashes before and so far nothing! My GPU usage is back to it's normal 67% too. So I'm not sure if this will be a fix, but fingers crossed as so far it's lasting longer than before! I also don't know if I am allowed to include a link to the .NET Framework update. 

Edited by pvupilot

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

1 hour ago, pvupilot said:

After some testing and talking with an nVidia rep, I may have solved my problem... I hope. Before talking to the nVidia rep, I unplugged my GPU and reseated it. Then I contacted the rep before testing my sim (whoops) and they looked over some windows info they had me send them. They suggested I download and run the .NET Framework update (4.7.2). I did and it stated I already had it installed so I selected the repair option. Well, after that, I've been running the sim at the same spot, same aircraft, and same day/time where I had my crashes before and so far nothing! My GPU usage is back to it's normal 67% too. So I'm not sure if this will be a fix, but fingers crossed as so far it's lasting longer than before! I also don't know if I am allowed to include a link to the .NET Framework update. 

Wow thanks for the news. I don't want to pour cold water on it but we have to admit there is still a possibility that it is just your GPU working at a lower usage, not an actual fix for the device hung problem. Maybe just maybe it was the reseating that did it? Maybe it was a faulty .NET installation? Hard to believe that one.

1 hour ago, glider1 said:

I am allowed to include a link to the .NET Framework update.

No need as it is included as part of the Prepar3D v4.4 installation. Before installation my .NET Version was 4.7.1 and now it is 4.7.2

Alternatively, it can also be installed independently from the V4.4 installer zip archive.

Mike

I thought I saw something about it being a part of the update. And I honestly wouldn’t think it would be what my problems were. But I also think it’d be kind of coincidental if the nvidia rep said to update it. It could very well have been just a loose connection or dust or something, I’m not sure but so far between repairing my framework and reseating the GPU, I’ve been having better luck. Fingers crossed...

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

20 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Well, I tried 2-way SLI with the 1st and 2nd GPU (the 2nd was the suspect), and, whilst it worked fine with a less dense scenery (EGCC), it crashed with a DXGI device hung error as soon as I loaded EGLL. This was day time! In my 3-way arrangement that only happened at night (unless FTX England was enabled).

So, either the middle card is faulty, or the slot it is in is bad for SLI. I could try swapping it into the 3rd slot and re-testing, but I have other things to do today and over the weekend, so I'll leave that test till next week.

Pete

Pete, this could be down to the profile in NCP. It's a long thread and I don't have time to check if this has been mentioned already. Select the P3D profile in NCP 3D section and make an adjustment of any kind, doesn't matter. Now, go back and Restore/Apply to that profile. Every time you adjust something like the location and so on could mean that's not current. It may not be repaired even with a clean install of the driver.

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Pete, this could be down to the profile in NCP. It's a long thread and I don't have time to check if this has been mentioned already. Select the P3D profile in NCP 3D section and make an adjustment of any kind, doesn't matter. Now, go back and Restore/Apply to that profile. Every time you adjust something like the location and so on could mean that's not current. It may not be repaired even with a clean install of the driver.

Steve

Hmm. Strange. I'll take a look. I've never selected a Profile in NCP. Where are they found? I've taken a look and don't see anything in the menus or sidebar about profiles.

If you really meant NVI, I don't use that with P3D4. Never found the need.

I never would have thought that the NCP or NVI settings would affect which slots I could use for 2-way SLI. There's nothing in the Asus mobo book about SLI, but searching for SLI links I found mention of both 2- and 3-way links for it.

Anyway, thanks, I'll check into that before opening up the case and moving cards around. I will be opening up and removing one soon in any case, as it seems only 2-way SLI is supported by P3D. I'll use the spare 1080Ti card to replace the 780Ti card in this internet & development/P3D testing PC.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

22 hours ago, w6kd said:

I'd do a long GPU stress test run with OCCT while monitoring both the GPU temp and Vddc with GPU-Z or nVidia Inspector--and watch the 12v rail voltage on the mobo as well.  I'm wondering if bumping up the GPU voltage might help.

Bob I installed OCCT, selected the GPU Test tab, changed resolution to 4k as per my monitor and full screen, pressed ON and it cancels immediately and says Stopped User Cancelled.  Ive tried different resolution settings.  This is in my main Windows 10 boot drive, Ill try the dual boot where P3D is installed.  Also tried reducing Power Limit to see if that was triggering an instant cancel of the test but no luck.

EDIT:

Tested on same OS drive as P3D, still failed immediately ehen I have Test Type set to Infinite, when set to Automatic it runs for 60s and says Started Test Waiting - Monitoring, at 61 seconds it cancels again.  Had GPU-Z running a log also by no change in core speeds or gpu loads.  Attached log file, sorry I only have option to save as a txt file https://www.dropbox.com/s/998409vkzv4uplu/GPU-Z Sensor Log OCCT.txt?dl=0 

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson