Sign in to follow this  
RSomerville

GTN 750 on FSX SE (resolved)

Thanks, okay I did the copy/paste of the missing section right after the last one, saved it and checked it and it did appear in the Add-ons menu with Reality XP GTN when I run FSX-SE.

I did see the rxpGTN.dll file in the FSX-SE 'Gauges' folder.  However, in the aircraft, the Reality XP GPS system is not there (in the Instrument Panels Views menu), like in the boxed FSX version. How do I get to appear and work in the aircraft?

Thanks,

Richard

We're making progress!

Alright, now that you have the menu, can you select the menu "Configure Aircraft..." and then add a GTN to the aircraft? Is this what you've done? If so and there is no change in the panel, can you please post the content of the rxpGTN_menu.dll.log file?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks, I did select the menu "Configure Aircraft..." and then tried to add GTN to the aircraft. But, still no Reality XP GPS system (gauge) in the Instrument Panels Views menu.

I was not able to open the rxpGTN_menu.dll.log file. But, I did copy what I could open, here below. I hope this provides a clue as to what you are looking for.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<SimBase.Document id="add-on" version="3,3" Type="AddOnXml">

<AddOn.Name>Reality XP GTN</AddOn.Name>

<AddOn.Description>Legendary Gauges Redefined</AddOn.Description>

-<AddOn.Component>

<Category>DLL</Category>

<Name>Reality XP GTN Menu</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GTN Simulation\FltSim\64\rxpGTN_menu.dll</Path>

</AddOn.Component>

-<AddOn.Component>

<Category>Gauges</Category>

<Name>Reality XP GTN Gauge</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GTN Simulation\FltSim\64</Path>

</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

As I keep saying, all this was so easy to install your system into my boxed FSX version. What could be the problem getting it to work in FSX Steam?

Thank you, Richard

I just noticed something about the "Configure Aircraft..." window. In the "Review" window where the modications are shown, it shows Reality XP GTN Unit 1 (managed) item, below are two items for rxpGTN GTN_750_1. There is one with a "-" sign in front of it, and one a "+" sign in front of it. I am not able to change or remove either one. See below. 

In my boxed FSX version, it does not appear like this. Is the problem and how can I fix this?

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATExADlhNy00YzQwLWY1ZGYtMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD7cVvt83jOUSUxeBzpdZjzgcAjI2ogr6ISkGLe7HW65bWoQAAAgEMAAAA%2BROXn7gKXEKIrY5%2B51lEPgABoti63gAAAAESABAA2bwKjaM6I0Kv4qy3bO2Btg%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=2018121703.02&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=HImBk1gr8kyR3IqdJtA47HB4Ad4waNYYB04Ghp4zGu9fvsRTUNVi7lYFn8ViPNc8OgHq0VIgqCE.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.HBiTeo34UYwtmprJNr-J1KeGOCV3dmPiE-EJStK98PX0LgPsuCnz0Y8QXXbGJ-ePikLXFiTU5MCBFnacL8OYVZ32STmhhznfkY0B6CxVx6tU59_K8J7SSOBiT6eKcjMY4dYYUGWGl8sX1w8qxG2pEvm7-CisAJI1EWsE0UBAww1ku5mNjzi5whmQjORwlcL86B_upqWC-Oonm5fir7KhN6SV9P_AqeSHW6v_ySdQR9IV0sFsJ_KrWbb41gyPQBLKxEcJQUssyfGXmbLcsMRYWKKdHIqK4inBtbMskccl-oBLzQCU-0GKcNmqvhG9f02jmrK_I0OQx-k5_3xyyKSn6Q&animation=true

Thank you, Richard

Great, now you're displaying the panel assistant, which also means the menu issue is resolved!

What this shows is that you are replacing the existing gauge with the same gauge, that is you're re-configuring the popup window with a GTN 750 exactly the same way.

Now, when you 'accept', what does it do?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks again,

The picture above shows the way this process came out. I do not think I selected to "replace the existing gauge with the same gauge" that I am aware of.  I selected one "Pop up" window as the option. When the "Accept" page came up, the picture above is what showed up.

When I "accept" as I said before " there is still no Reality XP GPS system gauge in the Instrument Panels Views menu." Please advise how to get all this to work correctly.

None of this happens in my boxed FSX version. As I keep saying, the boxed FSX version installed easily and all subsequent steps went very well without problems. I don't know if is me or the FSX Steam, but lots of problems with the Steam version.

Thanks, Richard

PS

I think I may understand what you mean by, "replace the existing gauge with the same gauge". I tried another aircraft from scratch and selected the one "Pop up" window as the option. Still, no Reality XP GPS system gauge appeared in the Instrument Panels Views menu. So, I went back to the menu "Configure Aircraft..." to try again. This time when I got to the "accept" page the same setup was there as in the picture above.

Still either way, when I "accept" as I said before " there is still no Reality XP GPS system gauge in the Instrument Panels Views menu."

Please advise how to get all this to work correctly.

Thanks, Richard

1 hour ago, RSomerville said:

Still either way, when I "accept" as I said before " there is still no Reality XP GPS system gauge in the Instrument Panels Views menu."

Hi,

This most likely indicate there is a file/folder access right problem preventing the assistant to make modifications to the panel.cfg file.

This is a question of 'file/folder access rights'/'security' and this is something only you can change on your own system for a reason: file access security is there to prevent applications and users to access files they ought not to change.

Our assistant is supposed to workaround this limitation usually, provided you, the user (in the sense of windows logon user), have the rights to 'write' the files. When and if needed, the assistant will request permission and you have to manually grant access, otherwise, the only workaround is you manage your file credentials at the file/folder level.

You might want therefore to review, starting from the 'aircraft' folder up, cross check each of these whether your user account (windows logon account) has at least list and write access rights.

You may want to also just 'add' your user account to the root FSX-SE installation folder with full access rights?

Sir,

As I have said before, I am somewhat limited in my computer system technical knowledge and skills. I think you have hit my limit. Everything you presented in your last message is way beyond my understanding: 

"This is a question of 'file/folder access rights'/'security' and this is something only you can change on your own system for a reason...

Our assistant is supposed to workaround this limitation usually, provided you, the user (in the sense of windows logon user), have the rights to 'write' the files. When and if needed, the assistant will request permission and you have to manually grant access, otherwise, the only workaround is you manage your file credentials at the file/folder level.

You might want therefore to review, starting from the 'aircraft' folder up, cross check each of these whether your user account (windows logon account) has at least list and write access rights.

You may want to also just 'add' your user account to the root FSX-SE installation folder with full access rights?"

I have tried to determine how to do these things, but I have no idea how to achieve any of this. As your customer, I do not believe I should have to do all this to make your program work. As I have stated repeatedly, "None of this happened in my boxed FSX version. The boxed FSX version installed easily and all subsequent steps went very well without problems. I don't know if is me or the FSX Steam, but lots of problems with the Steam version."

Please, I need a clear and simple solution to this issue or I will have to seek a refund for this product, which I gave to myself as a Christmas present for my flight sim hobby.

Waiting for a simple solution.

Thanks, Richard

10 minutes ago, RSomerville said:

I have tried to determine how to do these things, but I have no idea how to achieve any of this. As your customer, I do not believe I should have to do all this to make your program work

You are perfectly right and I understand you. However, please understand the issue you are having is not related to RXP product. I'll try to give an example of what it is happening on your system, but using 'cars' reference.

You've tried to put your new radio system in your Chevy. It was straightforward to install and plug: there is an opening on the dashboard that give you access to the wiring.

Now, you've tried to put your new radio system in your Dodge. However, there is problem: the opening leads to a trap with a door which opening command is your fingerprint, as it was registered when you've purchased your Dodge. There is nothing the radio system vendor can do until, you grant access to the wires in using your thumb print to open the trap.

In this example, the Chevy is your FSX, the Dodge is your FSX-SE, the radio system is well, everyone guessed, RXP software.

I'm 100% in agreement this is not our customer's business to mess with the wires, but it is our customer's business to open any trap which only them can open.

The root issue there in fact, is just learning the operating system you are using for your daily simmer tasks, non withstanding any other computer related tasks. Operating systems like Windows have a fine grained system of access rights to files, applications, folders, drives, drivers, registry etc... You'd normally wouldn't have to learn much about this but the basics, but in your case, mostly because both FSX and FSX-SE default install into Windows 'protected' folders, you have to raise your awareness of such concerns and learn how to deal with it. Otherwise, you might just simply opt to install your simulators in non-protected folders of your choosing instead of the defaults.

Some links to get started:

https://www.uwec.edu/kb/article/drives-establishing-windows-file-and-folder-level-permissions/

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cadhs1/sln156352/understanding-file-and-folder-permissions-in-windows?lang=en

Edited by RXP

Addendum: can you please let me know what is the content of the rxpGTN_menu.dll.log file now that you can access the menu and 'add' GTN popup windows (even though I've well noted this action doesn't changes your panel.cfg file for now).

Sir,

Again, thanks for your guidance. I will have to use some of my Christmas holiday to study what you have provided. Your analogy using cars was interesting. I have owned my FSX Steam edition version for almost 5 years and this is the first addon product that I have had this much trouble getting installed and working. And now, I'm having to go deep into my system to try to get it to fully work.

This is a very disappointing process. I asked for a simple solution and this is what I get. I will do what I can and determine what's next with all this.

Merry Christmas,

Richard

I understand your frustration.

Please keep in mind the fact it works flawlessly with FSX is indicative everything works as you'd expected. FSX and FSX-SE are very close from our gauge standpoint, which in the context of the issue you are describing, is also indicative there is a difference on your system between your FSX and your FSX-SE installations. The diagnostic so far thanks to your enduring patience is most likely an issue related to file/folders access rights, which is a core functionality of your Windows operating system, not the simulator nor our products.

Sir,

After having spent much of my Christmas holiday working on this very unusual problem installing your Realty-XP 750 GTN product into my FSX Steam edition version, I think I finally got much of it to work, but NOT all. I now have Realty-XP Configuration page in the Addons menu in almost all the aircraft.

However, in the aircraft, the Reality XP GPS system is not there in ALL aircraft (in the Instrument Panels Views menu), like in the boxed FSX version. How do I get it to appear and work in these aircraft?

Here's what shows up:

1) a few aircraft show the system installed in the Addons menu, but with the "-" & the "+" signs showing as in the picture, I provided previously. In those aircraft, nothing shows up in the Instrument Panels Views menu.

2) Some aircraft, the Cessna Caravan, the DC3, the HU-16 Albatross, and the F18, the Realty-XP appears in the Addons menu, but when I click on it to configure, it will not open.

3) All the jets: the 737, A321, 747, CRJ700, and Lear Jet 45, the Realty-XP appears in the Addons menu and after clicking accept, nothing shows up in the Instrument Panels Views menu. Note: the Lear Jet 45 installs and operates without any problems in my boxed FSX version.

You say you understand my frustration, but I do not think you have any idea how much time and learning I have had to do to get to this point. And at this point, there are still many problems getting this to work in the FSX Steam version. This is no fun.

Please provide specific guidance on how to get your product to work fully (totally) in my FSX Steam system, so we can get on with this.

Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard,

This most likely confirms it is related to access rights on the folders.

I'd suggest you grant your user name (windows logon name) full access to the 'SimObject' folder inside the FSX-SE installation folder. Here is a step-by-step guide found with a search on the internet:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer