Sign in to follow this  
JoeFackel

From 3 HD Monitors to one big UHD TV - suggestions?

How are you all finding using a big 4K tv as a computer monitor? I thought it wasn’t advisable to use one as the text is blurry etc? Has something changed in tv technology that’s passed me by? 

Ive been thinking of buying the 34” Alienware 1440p Screen, but might rethink it if a big 4K tv is the way to go...

37 minutes ago, chris512 said:

Has something changed in tv technology that’s passed me by?

Yes.  And it seems some people don't understand how to make that technology work yet.  Anyone saying that using a large(r) screen TV will give you "less clear" output simply doesn't know how to use it.

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  No need to use a bunch of "tweaks" for any of it either.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done...if someone wants to learn how to do it.

Please...PLEASE...if you DON'T know how to make a hardware system work, quit telling people it WON'T work.  This forum should be an educational venue that passes on ACCURATE information for people looking for information.   

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Rick Ryan

3 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

Yes.  And it seems some people don't understand how to make that technology work yet.  Anyone saying that using a large(r) screen TV will give you "less clear" output simply doesn't know how to use it.

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done.

Please...PLEASE...if you DON'T know how to make a hardware system work, quit telling people it WON'T work.  This forum should be an educational venue that passes on ACCURATE information for people looking for information.   

I agree Ryan, I think a lot of people make comments based on anectdotal  information. The big thing a lot of people forget and have no understanding of, is viewing distances. Any monitor, regardless of how good it is, will appear blurry or low resolution if you sit close enough. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

My 49 inch TV is perfectly sharp and by no means inferior to a monitor. Since it is 4K, it has even higher PPI than a 27 inch HD monitor. So why would it be a problem to use a 49 inch screen as a desktop monitor?

Edited by carlito777

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

1 hour ago, chris512 said:

How are you all finding using a big 4K tv as a computer monitor? I thought it wasn’t advisable to use one as the text is blurry etc?

Untrue on all counts.  It's a superior experience because of the size you can get relative to PC monitors.  4K is 4K. 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t tell anyone not to use it? I was just asking a question... Isn’t that the whole point of a forum?

2 hours ago, chris512 said:

How are you all finding using a big 4K tv as a computer monitor? I thought it wasn’t advisable to use one as the text is blurry etc? Has something changed in tv technology that’s passed me by? 

Ive been thinking of buying the 34” Alienware 1440p Screen, but might rethink it if a big 4K tv is the way to go...

Nothing blurry about the text on my 58" UHD.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

2 hours ago, FalconAF said:

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  No need to use a bunch of "tweaks" for any of it either.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done...if someone wants to learn how to do it.

Totally agree! . I use a Samsung 55" 4K UDH serie 7. It is crystal clear when I am sitting 80-100 cm from the screen. Buying a 55" 4K is my best investment for immersive flight simming.

• Like 2

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

The reason some TVs show text sharper than others is because they include Chroma 4:4:4. Not all TVs do. Just the better ones.

When i posted about the possibility of using a TV as a monitor Andrew Wilson of FS Labs recommended a Samsung which did. They use that TV at the recent Cosford FS show in England.

In the end I chose a monitor for space reasons.

If you want to check if your TV supports Chroma 4:4:4 visit this site and do the test.

https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, chris512 said:

Chris,

You can use a TV as a monitor but you need to chose carefully. See my earlier post about the importance of Chroma 4:4:4. If the TV supports it it should be fine. If it doesn't then text in Windows Explorer for example will be affected and won't be as easy to read as a TV that does support 4:4:4.

A monitor with a 1440 resolution is only 30% sharper than 1920*1080. I found gauges not significantly sharper. But in UHD - 3840*2160 - it's 4 times as sharp as 1920*1080 but you do need a more powerful graphics card. 1080 Ti for example.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Chris,

You can use a TV as a monitor but you need to chose carefully. See my earlier post about the importance of Chroma 4:4:4. If the TV supports it it should be fine. If it doesn't then text in Windows Explorer for example will be affected and won't be as easy to read as a TV that does support 4:4:4.

A monitor with a 1440 resolution is only 30% sharper than 1920*1080. I found gauges not significantly sharper. But in UHD - 3840*2160 - it's 4 times as sharp as 1920*1080 but you do need a more powerful graphics card. 1080 Ti for example.

Thanks Ray, I’ve been doing some reading today on this. I looked into it ages ago and remember the expert advice being that text in Windows could be blurry. There seems to be a lot more info available now than a few years ago. The Chrona 4:4:4 being the bit that is important for the sharp text. So thanks for confirming that. 

I have a 1080Ti so that’s good. I think in P3D 60Hz on the panel should be enough. The Alienware screen I was looking at is 120Hz with G-Sync. The G-Sync on my last screen improved things no end in smoothness, but it bumps the prices up way too high. 

I do find this Forum in general to be a bit hostile at times, as is shown in the response to me on this thread earlier. I remember you be being really helpful and nice a while ago regarding FS Labs Concorde flight plans. So thanks for chiming n here too.

• Like 1

To add to Ray's comment, it is especially important to run the ClearType wizard when setting up a TV as computer monitor. Windows 10 is a little better suited IMHO than Windows 7 for use of TV as monitor.

Edited by Henry Street

3 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

To add to Ray's comment, it is especially important to run the ClearType wizard when setting up a TV as monitor.

ClearType doesn't exist on WINDOWS 10 I'm pretty sure.

Also - there are no issues with clarity on a large 4k screen.

REgards

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

😁

Just came back from Media Market where I bought myself 2 Samsung 65” 4K tv’s.

Up to now I used 2x 32” as one wide front view and a 40” monitor as left front.

Now I will either use the two 65” as ond wide front view and the 40” in portrait mode as left front. 

Or one 65” display as front view and the other 65” display as left front / left view. In this case I can make my left front window bigger and a second one behind it...

Happy camper  😁

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

@chris512, Things are much better these days with regard to displays. There is an alternative to monitors but only for those who have the space! Sadly I don't but I have no regrets over my choice. 3840*2160 on a 32" will always be sharper than on a larger one. It's all down to pixels per inch. :smile:

That Alienware's 120Hz option is one you could never use in P3D. I'm currently running my monitor at 60Hz but will probably drop to 30Hz when I add an Ai package. I'll never be able to sustain 60fps around airports so there's no need to aim for it. 30 will ease the load on the CPU and allow more time for loading of textures.

And if you don't already have v4.4 get it asap. The workload is spread across all cpu cores now and performance has never been better.

ClearType doesn't exist as far as I can see. What I do like is how W10 scales the display. I was concerned about the size of text and dialogue boxes but it scales mine at 150% making everything very readable. W7 doesn't do it nearly as good so that's one thing 10 is good at.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather