Sign in to follow this  
JoeFackel

From 3 HD Monitors to one big UHD TV - suggestions?

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

ClearType doesn't exist on WINDOWS 10 I'm pretty sure.

Also - there are no issues with clarity on a large 4k screen.

REgards

bs

a relevant screenshot below...regards the clarity issues, perhaps another example of the, oh-so-common-in-this-forum, logical fallacy of extrapolating one's personal experience to the personal experience of everyone else?

untitled1.jpg

Edited by Henry Street

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@chris512, Things are much better these days with regard to displays. There is an alternative to monitors but only for those who have the space! Sadly I don't but I have no regrets over my choice. 3840*2160 on a 32" will always be sharper than on a larger one. It's all down to pixels per inch. :smile:

That Alienware's 120Hz option is one you could never use in P3D. I'm currently running my monitor at 60Hz but will probably drop to 30Hz when I add an Ai package. I'll never be able to sustain 60fps around airports so there's no need to aim for it. 30 will ease the load on the CPU and allow more time for loading of textures.

And if you don't already have v4.4 get it asap. The workload is spread across all cpu cores now and performance has never been better.

ClearType doesn't exist as far as I can see. What I do like is how W10 scales the display. I was concerned about the size of text and dialogue boxes but it scales mine at 150% making everything very readable. W7 doesn't do it nearly as good so that's one thing 10 is good at.

The Alienware does have G-Sync though. I did have a G-Sync screen before I sent it back for a fault, and the difference it made was dramatic. 

I’ve  just thought I might drag my 4K tv from the lounge upstairs and see how it performs, that way I can at least see if my system will cope with the extra pixel count. 

Edited by chris512
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chris512 said:

The Alienware does have G-Sync though. I did have a G-Sync screen before I sent it back for a fault, and the difference it made was dramatic. 

I’ve  just thought I might drag my 4K tv from the lounge upstairs and see how it performs, that way I can at least see if my system will cope with the extra pixel count. 

Why not just enable VSync in P3D with triple buffering? That's what I do.

Might it be easlier to take the computer downstairs? That's what I did to see what UHD would look like. You'll be pleasantly surprised I think.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, chris512 said:

I do find this Forum in general to be a bit hostile at times, as is shown in the response to me on this thread earlier. I remember you be being really helpful and nice a while ago regarding FS Labs Concorde flight plans. So thanks for chiming n here too.

People here have been really grouchy lately.  I don't know if it's the weather or what. 

If/when I buy a new TV, I will definitely be looking at threads like this to find a TV that I know I could use dual-purpose -- for FS, if I decided to do that.  I do not watch much TV anyway, so its primary use would be flight sim.  This thread has some good info in it.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I wasn't sure whether to use a 55" or 65", so my dealer suggested I try a 55" first, and if I didn't like it I could bring it back and try a 65".

I was ecstatic with the 55" Samsung. It turned out to give me a close approximation to a 1:1 ratio on the instrument panel. When used with TrackIR there is no sense of restriction.  I have the feeling of sitting in a full sized cockpit. I don't think I could be more happy with my setup. Quite trilled actually.

cheers,

Tom

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The downside of a large screen is you don’t get the sharpness a smaller display gives. I’m really happy with my 32” UHD monitor but accept others want the immersion of larger displays. But you do lose out on sharpness.

Nah... I don't agree.  The pixel size of my 42-in 4K screen is still less than I can resolve with my best glasses on. Also, I think sharpness might have different meaning to different people, and is something that can be manipulated on any size screen with contrast settings.

As far as Chroma 4:4:4 issue goes, I just plain lucked out by selecting my Samsung I guess.  I've read a little of it but still know nothing.  I assure you the text on my screen is just as sharp and clear as they can be subjectively.

• Like 3

Dan Downs KCRP

3 minutes ago, downscc said:

Nah... I don't agree.  The pixel size of my 42-in 4K screen is still less than I can resolve with my best glasses on. Also, I think sharpness might have different meaning to different people, and is something that can be manipulated on any size screen with contrast settings.

As far as Chroma 4:4:4 issue goes, I just plain lucked out by selecting my Samsung I guess.  I've read a little of it but still know nothing.  I assure you the text on my screen is just as sharp and clear as they can be subjectively.

You can’t disagree with known facts. Pixels per inch isn’t subjective, it’s objective. The higher the number the sharper the image. It really is as simple as that. Sorry if you disagree.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, downscc said:

I went from a 4k 28 inch monitor to a Vizio 43 inch 4k tv.  I was pleasantly surprised at the sharpness and detail of the bigger screen even when sitting close.  And I am VERY picky when it comes to displays.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

TV's  work great for flight sim and I wouldn't be concerned with pixel size in 4k. I have a 43" Sony and flight sim looks as good as ever. I don't use this computer and TV for anything else other than Flight Siming.  43" or 49 " is just about right.

• Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

The main reason I went with OLED is the black levels at night are fantastic and you gotta luv the curved screen!

Cheers

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

4K 58inch Panasonic (58DX900) and I sit about 2 metres away (on a couch) and it works brilliantly. Very sharp, not blurry at all.

The GFX card makes a huge difference, especially cockpit dials sharpness etc, just got a 2080TI and I can run every graphic (but not traffic/auto gen) setting maxed out with ORBX / NGX at 20-50fps in dense city with full weather. It doesnt break sweat.

I have a 9900K ordered so should be able to bump up scenery and traffic complexity too. 

Works very well on a big TV 🙂

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You can’t disagree with known facts. Pixels per inch isn’t subjective, it’s objective. The higher the number the sharper the image. It really is as simple as that. Sorry if you disagree.

Ray, nobody is disagreeing with "known facts".  The disagreement is in the way you represent your "objective" information.  You can't just say something like, "The downside of a large screen is you don’t get the sharpness a smaller display gives" or "but (I) accept others want the immersion of larger displays. But you do lose out on sharpness".  Those kind of "blanket one size fits all" statements are just plain false.  They are called "Erroneous Information" in an academic teaching environment.  And they are misleading and a disservice to people asking questions like the one asked in this thread.

A 65" UHD 4K capable TV doesn't even need to use an Anti-Aliasing setting in most cases to have a "sharp" display...text included.  IF it and the software application being used is configured properly.  I use only MSAA and Anisotropic with P3Dv4 on my Samsung 65" UHD 4K and there are no "jaggies" or "un-sharp text" ANYWHERE on the screen.  And yes, you do need a "good" GPU to do it...but not even a 1080ti.  I use a plain old GTX1080 without it being the "ti" version.

I'm not trying to be "hostile" to anybody.  I just abhor "Erroneous Information" in what should be an educational environment like a forum that offers "advice" for it's members who ask.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

4 hours ago, FalconAF said:

A 65" UHD 4K capable TV doesn't even need to use an Anti-Aliasing setting in most cases to have a "sharp" display...text included.  IF it and the software application being used is configured properly.  I use only MSAA and Anisotropic with P3Dv4 on my Samsung 65" UHD 4K and there are no "jaggies" or "un-sharp text" ANYWHERE on the screen.  And yes, you do need a "good" GPU to do it...but not even a 1080ti.  I use a plain old GTX1080 without it being the "ti" version.

Good to read this. My 2080Ti then might be able to drive my two 65” 4K tv’s ... 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 hours ago, FalconAF said:

A 65" UHD 4K capable TV doesn't even need to use an Anti-Aliasing setting in most cases to have a "sharp" display...text included.

Sorry, but what is your reasoning here? That's 68 dpi, or about the same as a 32" 1080p monitor. In other words, it's going to look well fuzzy close up.

• Like 2

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro