Sign in to follow this  
JoeFackel

From 3 HD Monitors to one big UHD TV - suggestions?

8 hours ago, FalconAF said:

Ray, nobody is disagreeing with "known facts".  The disagreement is in the way you represent your "objective" information.  You can't just say something like, "The downside of a large screen is you don’t get the sharpness a smaller display gives" or "but (I) accept others want the immersion of larger displays. But you do lose out on sharpness".  Those kind of "blanket one size fits all" statements are just plain false.  They are called "Erroneous Information" in an academic teaching environment.  And they are misleading and a disservice to people asking questions like the one asked in this thread.

A 65" UHD 4K capable TV doesn't even need to use an Anti-Aliasing setting in most cases to have a "sharp" display...text included.  IF it and the software application being used is configured properly.  I use only MSAA and Anisotropic with P3Dv4 on my Samsung 65" UHD 4K and there are no "jaggies" or "un-sharp text" ANYWHERE on the screen.  And yes, you do need a "good" GPU to do it...but not even a 1080ti.  I use a plain old GTX1080 without it being the "ti" version.

I'm not trying to be "hostile" to anybody.  I just abhor "Erroneous Information" in what should be an educational environment like a forum that offers "advice" for it's members who ask.

Rick,

I'm sorry but I stand by my comments. And they are based on experience, not theoreticals. I visited a friend who has a 40" Samsung UHD TV running P3D v4. We loaded the PMDG747 and I looked at the gauges and was a little disappointed in the fine detail in the gauges. When I came home I did some searching and found a link to pixels per inch and how various displays performed.

I wrote this post in the Monitors section. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/544253-uhd-display-sharpness-or-immersion-you-can-only-have-one/

You'll see a 40" UHD display (monitor or TV doesn't matter) has a ppi of 110.2 whereas a 32" has 137.7. Those are undisputable facts. The only variable is the viewing distance. I sit around 3ft away but I suspect many who have larger displays also sit around that distance.

If you have a 55" the ppi drops to 80.1 - not hugely better than a 32" 1920*1080 that shows 68.9.

Use the same argument with SD and HD TV pictures. If you view  from far enough away it will become difficult to tell them apart.

I too use minimal AA and have absolutely no jaggies. Those who choose huge displays do so for the immersion factor but it's obvious that those who choose smaller UHD displays enjoy sharper images.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I visited a friend who has a 40" Samsung UHD TV running P3D v4. We loaded the PMDG747 and I looked at the gauges and was a little disappointed in the fine detail in the gauges.

Your friend didn't have HIS hardware configured correctly.  Period. The hardware and software is not set up properly in both previous posts/cases above.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If anybody is ever going to be visiting Las Vegas, if you want to, send me a PM and I'll be glad to bring you to my house and show you how to do it.  No magic involved.  But if ANYBODY is using a 40" or larger UHD 4K TV with a 1080 GPU (or better) and has unclear text or graphics while sitting even 3 feet away from it, they simply don't have the hardware configured correctly.

And we WILL record the entire session with my GoPro video cameras so nobody can say ""He's lying". 

People are entitled to their own opinions.  But not their own facts.  Visiting a friend who doesn't know what they are doing and seeing the results of that are not "evidence" that the hardware won't perform correctly.

Edited by FalconAF
  • Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

6 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

Your friend didn't have HIS hardware configured correctly.  Period. The hardware and software is not set up properly in both previous posts/cases above.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If anybody is ever going to be visiting Las Vegas, if you want to, send me a PM and I'll be glad to bring you to my house and show you how to do it.  No magic involved.  But if ANYBODY is using a 55" or larger UHD 4K TV with a 1080 GPU (or better) and has unclear text or graphics while sitting even 3 feet away from it, they simply don't have the hardware configured correctly.

And we WILL record the entire session with my GoPro video cameras so nobody can say ""He's lying". 

People are entitled to their own opinions.  But not their own facts.

I agree with you on proper setup is a must. I have both 43" 4k TV and also a 32" pro graphics monitor and P3d looks amazing on both. One isn't better than the other for flight sim. I would never use a big TV for graphic design but for flight sim Yes. Save your money and get the TV. By the way the text on my 43"Sony is as clear and crisp as can be and I can also see every speck and detail in great clarity. I personally have two computers one for flight sim and the other for graphic design work and usual computer stuff. Now if I only had one I would go for the monitor.   Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

24 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  If anybody is ever going to be visiting Las Vegas, if you want to, send me a PM and I'll be glad to bring you to my house and show you how to do it.  No magic involved.  But if ANYBODY is using a 40" or larger UHD 4K TV with a 1080 GPU (or better) and has unclear text or graphics while sitting even 3 feet away from it, they simply don't have the hardware configured correctly.

People are entitled to their own opinions.  But not their own facts.  Visiting a friend who doesn't know what they are doing and seeing the results of that are not "evidence" that the hardware won't perform correctly.

Just a stab in the dark, but I don’t think many people will be taking you up on that offer...

35 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

've said it before and I'll say it again.  If anybody is ever going to be visiting Las Vegas, if you want to, send me a PM and I'll be glad to bring you to my house and show you how to do it.

Next Vegas FSExpo, you're going to have a queue of flightsim geeks on your lawn

Handy chart which shows viewing distance vs screen size (pixel density) which a viewer with 20/20 vision can perceive.

https://i.rtings.com/images/optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

2 hours ago, FalconAF said:

How about recording a video on how you have yours setup? That avoids the trip to Las Vegas which although attractive at this time of year to Brits is probably a little OTT just to glean some info.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 12/5/2018 at 7:28 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

The reason some TVs show text sharper than others is because they include Chroma 4:4:4. Not all TVs do. Just the better ones.

When i posted about the possibility of using a TV as a monitor Andrew Wilson of FS Labs recommended a Samsung which did. They use that TV at the recent Cosford FS show in England.

In the end I chose a monitor for space reasons.

If you want to check if your TV supports Chroma 4:4:4 visit this site and do the test.

https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

What TV did he recommend?

1 minute ago, Bigt said:

What TV did he recommend?

Looking at your profile you haven’t included your country. TVs are region specific and in any case the one he recommended is now unavailable.

In the U.K. the Samsung UE40NU7120 is the replacement.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I tried this about a year ago moving to a 32" 4K monitor and came back to surround. The immersion and FOV of surround can never be replaced by a single screen regardless of resolution or size. You will regret it most likely. Good luck.

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

Just wanted to point out that ppi is irrelevant. It is pixels per degree that matter as that is what matters when it comes to the eye resolving power.

Chris

30 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

ppi is irrelevant

I'd question "irrelevant", although it's a blunt instrument. I'd guess most simmers sit within a Goldilocks Zone with respect to their display, so as a metric the dpi has some merit.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

6 hours ago, J0nx said:

I tried this about a year ago moving to a 32" 4K monitor and came back to surround. The immersion and FOV of surround can never be replaced by a single screen regardless of resolution or size. You will regret it most likely. Good luck.

I would question this statement. Yes, you do loose some FOV which takes away a bit of the immersion but on the other hand you gain immersion from being able to see out of window and at the same time looking at the panel. Moving from Surround to a tiny 32 inch monitor is of course not going to cut it. But a 55 inch offers the same FOV as two 27 inch monitors. And the edges you loose do not add much to the immersion. As stated above, Surround is great for the FOV and the feeling in turns, but it is not better in any regard. 

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Yesterday I changed my order from 2x Samsung 65” 4K to 2x Sony Bravia 43” 4K + 1x Sony Bravia 55” 4K.

The sharpness, contrast and coloring of the Bravia 4K is superb.

Instead of 1 super large display I finally stayed with 2 displays in surround ( + LM Distortion correction ) . 

But that is because I only need them as cockpit windows and not for displaying the whole cockpit.

Imho the Sony 4K tv’s are a perfect choice for use in Fs.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0