Sign in to follow this  
JoeFackel

From 3 HD Monitors to one big UHD TV - suggestions?

On 12/5/2018 at 12:23 PM, FalconAF said:

Yes.  And it seems some people don't understand how to make that technology work yet.  Anyone saying that using a large(r) screen TV will give you "less clear" output simply doesn't know how to use it.

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  No need to use a bunch of "tweaks" for any of it either.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done...if someone wants to learn how to do it.

Please...PLEASE...if you DON'T know how to make a hardware system work, quit telling people it WON'T work.  This forum should be an educational venue that passes on ACCURATE information for people looking for information.   

And so tell us how you do it and settings

8 hours ago, GSalden said:

Imho the Sony 4K tv’s are a perfect choice for use in Fs.

Sony TV's are excellent.  What model did u go with? 

Matt Wilson

8 hours ago, GSalden said:

Yesterday I changed my order from 2x Samsung 65” 4K to 2x Sony Bravia 43” 4K + 1x Sony Bravia 55” 4K.

The sharpness, contrast and coloring of the Bravia 4K is superb.

Instead of 1 super large display I finally stayed with 2 displays in surround ( + LM Distortion correction ) . 

But that is because I only need them as cockpit windows and not for displaying the whole cockpit.

Imho the Sony 4K tv’s are a perfect choice for use in Fs.

You are going to love the color of the Sony's. I ditched my Samsung 40" 4k for the Sony 43" what a difference! 

please post your experience with three 4k displays when you get them.     Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

1 hour ago, 9GTurn said:

And so tell us how you do it and settings

Seconded...

FWIW, I think it's relevant that he's sitting four feet away. That means he's got twice as many pixels per degree as a 32" 1080p monitor, although the apparent size is about the same. Or to put it another way, it will look about as sharp as a 32" UHD TV from two feet. But if you sit two feet away from the 65" one it's going to look like a 32" 1080p TV, or pretty fuzzy. Which is where we came in.

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Sony KD 43XF7000  2x

Sony KD 55XT7000  1x

For watching TV in reviews the LG ones at the same pricerange seem to be better overall. Especially as the Bravia;s can suffer form IPS-glow. However , regarding clarity, brightness , sharpness and colors the Bravia's image looks much better.

And as far as the IPS-glow, there are a few things you can do to minimize it :

• make sure that there is a little light in the room/cockpit where the tv is ( even a little ambient light coming from a small lamp near or behind the tv is enough )
  • tilt the tv a little for- or backward
  • not too much brightness ( stay below 80 in the OSD )
  • set Contrastoptimalisation to Low
  • advanced Contrastimprovement set to Low ( = 4.261:1 ) 
  • Reality Creation : auto or manually to 20-30 ( stay below 40 ) 
  • Motionflow : default
  • use Gaming Mode ( 18.9 ms instead of 119 ms with default/cinema )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

We have a Sony XBR65X900E.  I’ve never had so many compliments on a TV.  I’ve never seen such a bright TV. It will strain your eyes during the day on high settings.  But with that said I went with a Vizio for my sim monitor due to price.  Still a very good TV though.

Matt Wilson

Double post

Edited by mpw8679
Double post

Matt Wilson

I've been using a 24 inch bog standard display for years. I'm interested in a bigger monitor, but not one that blurs things or badly compromises frame rates. If I am running at 1920-1600 now, does getting a 32-42 inch monitor mean I just get a bigger but more blurred image, unless I up-sample the core video resolution in P3d, or is there a real benefit that is not outweighed by a less crisp image?

I notice a lot of posts discussing TV monitors, rather than Computer monitors. Is the boundary between the two insignificant nowadays?

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I went with the LG 43" IPS 4K  Monitor in my new build. Cheap as chips, and image quality is superb. Supports 30 and 60 Hz. And the only monitor I know of that comes with a remote control.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

4 hours ago, robert young said:

I've been using a 24 inch bog standard display for years. I'm interested in a bigger monitor, but not one that blurs things or badly compromises frame rates. If I am running at 1920-1600 now, does getting a 32-42 inch monitor mean I just get a bigger but more blurred image, unless I up-sample the core video resolution in P3d, or is there a real benefit that is not outweighed by a less crisp image?

I notice a lot of posts discussing TV monitors, rather than Computer monitors. Is the boundary between the two insignificant nowadays?

Robert,  Yes the new TV’s these days adapt very well for use as a PC monitor.  A lot of them have a specific pc setting just for that use.  The image quality on my $350 Vizio 43 inch is just as good as my $1000 Acer ultra wide.  IMO the sweet spot is 40-43 inch at 4k resolution.  

Matt Wilson

@robert young, please be aware that all this advice assumes you are running Windows 10. Its advanced scaling allows text to be sized apropriate for the display. The same is not true of Windows 7.

I'm curious about the resolution you're running. No such res as 1920-1600. Could you elaborate? Also, if you choose a TV the best images are those with Chroma 4:4:4. That requires it to have HDR. Not the same as HDR in P3D.

Alternatively a 32" UHD monitor such as the BenQ PD3200U is great of you don't have the space for anything larger. Your computer specs would help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Chroma 4:4:4. That requires it to have HDR.

Are u sure about that?

Matt Wilson

8 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Are u sure about that?

All the TVs that I have seen that have chroma 4:4:4 have HDR. The two seem to go hand in hand. This was the TV recommended to me. For some obscure reason they don’t include 4:4:4 in the specs.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/ue40nu7120kxxu-uhd-4k-smart-tv-nu7100-series-7-ukfrdeites/UE43NU7120KXXU/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

All the TVs that I have seen that have chroma 4:4:4 have HDR. The two seem to go hand in hand. This was the TV recommended to me. For some obscure reason they don’t include 4:4:4 in the specs.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/ue40nu7120kxxu-uhd-4k-smart-tv-nu7100-series-7-ukfrdeites/UE43NU7120KXXU/

Ok Ray was just curious.  That is an excellent TV for PC use however I find the Vizio E series to be superior.  I had both hooked up at the same time on my PC and Xbox1X.  The Vizio was a touch brighter, better HDR effect, and better contrast.  It wasn't a dramatic difference but noticeable.  Returned the Samsung.  Both are solid choices.  Just FYI I tried a TCL 5 series 43 inch also.  Not impressed at all.  HDR was horrible.

Matt Wilson