Sign in to follow this  
JoeFackel

From 3 HD Monitors to one big UHD TV - suggestions?

Matt, I haven’t heard of Vizio or TCL. I guess they’re exclusive to the US.

This site will show you if your TV supports 4:4:4. Very useful.

https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

Yes Vizio is a big name here.  At first were considered a budget TV but are now making some really good stuff.

Thanks for the link I will test it out

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@robert young, please be aware that all this advice assumes you are running Windows 10. Its advanced scaling allows text to be sized apropriate for the display. The same is not true of Windows 7.

I'm curious about the resolution you're running. No such res as 1920-1600. Could you elaborate? Also, if you choose a TV the best images are those with Chroma 4:4:4. That requires it to have HDR. Not the same as HDR in P3D.

Alternatively a 32" UHD monitor such as the BenQ PD3200U is great of you don't have the space for anything larger. Your computer specs would help.

Hi Ray,

Yes it is an odd resolution, but I double checked and it is indeed 1920-1600 native res, and Nvidia Control Panel confirms it, as does P3d. It's quite an old HP monitor so maybe that's why it is not standard. I quite like it as I prefer the slightly less wide-screen aspect ratio. I run a pretty acncient i7 2700 underclocked (for stability) and a modest GTX 1050 TI, with Windows 7. Surprisingly I get exceptionally good frame rates (from years of tweaking!) except with really heavyweight aircraft.

Thanks for the tip about the BenQ. I'll look up the specs and prices. Greetings.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Robert,

I really would not recommend the BenQ UHD monitor for your system. Your graphics card is not up to the task. You need a minimum of a 1080 to drive 8 million pixels - 4 times FullHD (1920*1080).

If you want to replace your ancient monitor there are loads of 1920*1080 monitors or TVs that would suit. But if you choose a TV (32" is probably the minimum size) be aware that text in Windows Explorer will not be crisp. I speak from personal experience.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Robert,

I really would not recommend the BenQ UHD monitor for your system. Your graphics card is not up to the task. You need a minimum of a 1080 to drive 8 million pixels - 4 times FullHD (1920*1080).

If you want to replace your ancient monitor there are loads of 1920*1080 monitors or TVs that would suit. But if you choose a TV (32" is probably the minimum size) be aware that text in Windows Explorer will not be crisp. I speak from personal experience.

I suspected that was so. I do actually get very good performance on my current monitor considering how obsolescent my hardware is, but I am overdue for an upgrade soon. Thanks for the advice.

BTW. Correction. My monitor is set to 1920x1200, not 1920x1600. So you were right! Apologies.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

On 12/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Apparently the NVidia RGB setting in lieu of 4:4:4 will deliver the same quality, provided it's set to the Full range of colours.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

3 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Apparently the NVidia RGB setting in lieu of 4:4:4 will deliver the same quality, provided it's set to the Full range of colours.

That's the first I've heard of that. Source please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

I run mine in RGB and Full Range colours.  Works well on my setup.